What accessory turned out to not be a big deal? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What accessory turned out to not be a big deal?

What option or accessory for your motorcycle turned out to not be the big improvement that you had hoped it would be? I'm not thinking in terms of something you bought online only to find out it was sub-standard quality, but that thing that you bought or way that you modified your bike that when all was said and done was not worth the time, money, and effort.

This is going to vary between individuals. One guy is going to find that tank bag he bought to be totally useless, but somebody else isn't going to know how they got along without it. That's the way it is. I'm basically looking for how you thought something was going to help and how it turned out to not be a big deal for you in the end.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-07-2018, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Center stand. I've always had a center stand years ago, but for some reason with the Street I just never bothered to use it.

Oh, and a cheap LED headlight - I think mine was WiiPro. $75, claimed to be like a Daymaker. Hogwash. It seemed like it was a little bit of an upgrade over the stock lame headlight, maybe, if you really tried to convince yourself it was, but mostly it just put out a square of light on the pavement. Was never satisfied with it, but when I put on a real headlight (JW Speaker 8690A) it was obvious what a hunk of junk the cheap imitation "daymaker" was. It went in the trash. The 8690A was expensive as all get out, but man, THAT is what a headlight should be!
post #3 of 12 Old 03-08-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Center stand. I've always had a center stand years ago, but for some reason with the Street I just never bothered to use it.
That's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for here.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750

post #4 of 12 Old 03-09-2018, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Nothing for the Street Rod Paul, but I got a pair of Screamin' Eagle Street Canons for my 48 at a very good price. Trouble is I can't decide whether I like them or not. I changed the OEM mufflers because they were too quiet, only to find these Street Canons are pretty much the same, volume wise. People have said they get louder the more use they get, so I guess I'll stick with them this year at least.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-11-2018, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Easy one For the Street 750 the sidecar. Darn thing is a blast.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-12-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Smitty, you seem to have answered the question I was going to ask down the line about what looked like it would be difficult or not worth the trouble but turned out to be a big improvement or easier than expected.

For me, the accessory I thought was going to be helpful but hasn't been would be the Bilt tank bag. Leaving the saddle bags on the bike all the time seems to work better for me than bothering with the tank bag.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #7 of 12 Old 03-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I added a Vance and Hines Competition exhaust to my XG500 and it's sounds much better. What I don't like about it is it's an inch or two to short. That is strictly an appearance issue I do like the sound Not to loud not quite.

I've also added the removable luggage rack. Calling it a luggage rake is a joke It's postage stamp tiny.

I've removed the fairing simply because it served no purpose and it looks IMHO better without it. I did install a small leather bag on the forks and that I can't live without.

I'm thinking about updating my headlight and looking for recommendations.
dabomb1000 likes this.

2016 XG500
post #8 of 12 Old 06-13-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Another accessory that has turned out to have not been such a big deal is the windshield. I took mine off a couple weeks ago, and doing so immediately made for a quieter ride with less helmet buffeting.

Starting out I thought the wind against my body would get tiring, but it hasn't been a problem during my 20 minute commute. Actually, I did a 300 mile trip this past weekend on various roads, from 55 mph state highways to 70 mph freeways. It wasn't a problem.
SoonerStreetRider likes this.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #9 of 12 Old 06-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I wrestled with windshields mightily with my Street 750, went through three different ones and mounted 'em in a variety of ways to try to find a combination that was actually better than no windshield at all! Eventually I got the National Cycle DX angled and raised to the right orientation so that it took the wind off my chest but didn't increase noise or add helmet buffeting. Never could get the buffeting off my shoulders though.

Windshields are tricky, and they're very personalized -- your height, helmet or no helmet, distance from the screen (arm length), and torso-to-inseam ratio all factor in. I've never had a motorcycle windshield that didn't require extensive adjusting before it was worth it.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Windshield and center stand look like too much...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page