Have you worn out the factory tires? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-22-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Have you worn out the factory tires?

Who here has worn out the factory tires and how long did that take? I've heard that motorcycle tires generally last 12,000 miles or so. I'm at 10K miles and appear to have quite a bit of tread left.

My bike was purchased on a free tires for life deal. The catch is that I need to do all of the scheduled maintenances on time, at that dealership, and do whatever repairs are indicated with them as well. I could probably get away with doing my own inspection ahead of the scheduled maintenance and repair or replace things that I know they are going to catch and that are within my skill set.

If I'm doing that, though, does it really pay to keep doing the interim scheduled maintenance (5K, 15K, 25K, etc.) with the dealer just for the free tires?

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-23-2018, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
The factory tires made by Michelin are holding up pretty good on my bike. They appear to hold good grip although the riding surface is smooth. I am particularity concerned on wet pavement - which I try to avoid at all cost. When they wear out I will definitely replace them with tires that have some grip on the riding surface.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2018, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat01 View Post
Who here has worn out the factory tires and how long did that take? I've heard that motorcycle tires generally last 12,000 miles or so. I'm at 10K miles and appear to have quite a bit of tread left.

My bike was purchased on a free tires for life deal. The catch is that I need to do all of the scheduled maintenances on time, at that dealership, and do whatever repairs are indicated with them as well. I could probably get away with doing my own inspection ahead of the scheduled maintenance and repair or replace things that I know they are going to catch and that are within my skill set.

If I'm doing that, though, does it really pay to keep doing the interim scheduled maintenance (5K, 15K, 25K, etc.) with the dealer just for the free tires?

Free tires for life is a great deal! I recently went over 10k miles and my dealer recommended new tires. They look to have plenty tread left and with a quote of over $700, I decided to put some more miles on tnem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 Old 08-24-2018, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm on tire set #4 . Factory tires replaced by Michelin Commanders at just about 10k miles - they lasted longer, however, I couldn't justify the price. So come my next set at 24k I moved to Shinkos. Shinko SR740 110/70-17 Front Tire and Shinko 712 140/90-15 Rear Tire, which do fit without any modifications to the bike. Costs roughly 100-110 USD depending on where you get them. THey lasted until 33k miles. Probably could have gone a little further but at that point, didn't mind getting new ones. On set number four, they are doing great (and are better than the scorchers in the rain IMO) and will likely do shinkos again after this. Changing the tires myself also was a huge cost saving. Wasn't too hard, would recommend a good bead breaker, didn't buy one until recently.

"St Barbara of the Artillery Corp - Be at the bursting of the doors of doom, And in the dark deliver us"
post #5 of 10 Old 08-24-2018, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The factory tires made by Michelin are holding up pretty good on my bike. They appear to hold good grip although the riding surface is smooth. I am particularity concerned on wet pavement - which I try to avoid at all cost. When they wear out I will definitely replace them with tires that have some grip on the riding surface.

I ended up in a truly incredible Oklahoma thunderstorm on my 500 a week ago. High water, wet pavement, high winds, the little bike didn't care. Not a slip, not a wiggle. The biggest problem were the legions of terrified people driving cars on the highway at 30 mph.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 PM

Finally after a long search, Tire Brand, Bridgestone is bringing in Battlecruise H50 for Street 750 size. after an extensive search, Metzler, Pirelli, Michelin, none have brought in our size, as so far the only option is to go back to Harley official which offer Michelin stock tires at double the market price !

Basically have no other options, would like to know if anyone here have install/used Battlecruise H 50 on street 750/500/Rod. Read a few reviews, they are good BUT using other bikes.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Non Harley sites sell the Michelin Scorcher and Commander for less than Harley. I just had Costco install a set of Michelin on my Subaru. Wasn’t cheap but they make the best tires.

Nice tires can make a Honda feel like a Mercedes. Don’t go cheap there.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-31-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The bike went to the dealer for the 10K inspection a month after the initial post. The tires were at the point of qualifying for the free replacement. That covered the cost of the tires only, and not the labor to mount them.

post #9 of 10 Old 01-31-2019, 09:09 PM

our stock tire size unfortunately not available in my country except for Harley official dealer, hence if today my tires rip, i gotta fork out for scorcher(dun mind if commander) USD500 per piece!!!

I have no doubt on Michelin tires, all my cars, and including my MTB are using Michelin.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-01-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The Streets seem to use an odd tire size. About all I've seen that fits are the Michelins and some Avons. In another thread somebody had the Avon tires and swore by them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page