• 1 Post By PugslyCat01

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
V&H V02 intake question

So I'm not exactly mechanical savvy ... So if I were to replace the stock intake which looks awful, with the V&H intake, would I have to 'tune' it at all? What are my other options aswell?

If it makes any difference I have a firebrand exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
I have the FP3 - I use it for tuning etc. and have found it extremely useful. In the instructions there is a paragraph that states the following for exhausts that are not listed in their fuel maps:

All FP3 maps are dyno tuned for high flow air intakes. If you have a stock intake, flash the map for your exhaust with high flow air
intake – the ECU will trim the map automatically as you ride.

There is however not a paragraph that tells you the the ECU will compensate for a change of air filter if the exhaust is known, so from that you could draw an assumption that your bike would need tuning if you alter the air intake. Others may disagree with this but that is all I have to go on.

I don't wish to plug the FP3, and I am sure other fuel management systems do a similar thing but have never had one, but I think it is a worthwhile investment if you are planning to alter the running of your bike or carry out anything other than very basic servicing.

I purchased an after market exhaust and a Screamin' Eagle air filter for mine - this combination was not listed on their maps but by using the 'auto-tune' option I have my bike running like a 'good-un' !

Botty
post #3 of 4 Old 03-29-2019, 05:54 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
If you change from the stock muffler to a slip on exhaust, you don't have to tune. If you change the whole exhaust to a 2 into 2 or straight pipes, you need to tune as that will dramatically change the back pressure.

If you change the intake, the engine is now able to suck in considerably more air than before, thus really leaning out the fuel/air mixture. You have to tune so that the fuel injection system knows to add more fuel. Running lean can cause performance problems. Running lean of peak also causes the engine to run hotter and can burn valves and even pistons.

In the old days you would change the jets in the carburetor. Now you need to tune the electronic ignition. Several ignition tuners are on the market including the Vance & Hines Fuel Pack 3 and the H-D Screaming Eagle tuner. Go to a site like jpcycles.com, revzilla.com, or bikebandit.com and search for your bike and then under fuel system type stuff. The exact keywords vary by site.

The FP3 seems to be the most popular in part because it's the least expensive and also because it has an easy to use phone app. You install it, pick the parts you have on your bike, flash the ECM and away you go. If your exact exhaust and intake don't show up, call V&H and they will suggest a map. The FP3 also has an autotune function that has you ride the bike for a couple of hours and suggests a revised map for you to flash the bike with. That's really handy if you don't have an exact parts match for the initial map.

If your bike is from model year 2017 or later and still under warranty you have another consideration. The EPA busted H-D's chops regarding tuners, so if you use anything other than the H-D Screaming Eagle tuner on your bike and H-D finds out about it they void your warranty. If you are out of warranty or are riding a new old stock bike that isn't a concern.

Most of the tuners can be disconnected except while you are flashing the bike or running an autotune session. Some, like the FP3, can be used to emulate some instrumentation that H-D left off the bike from the factory.
Propnut likes this.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver

post #4 of 4 Old 04-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
You should most definitely tune the bike if running the V02 naked intake. It is a huge increase in airflow, and when combined with a high-flow slip-on muffler and a proper tune, it can result in significant gains in power and torque. But if you don't tune it, you run the risk of the bike running lean, which will damage it over time.

The problem with tuners is the warranty. If your bike's still under warranty, use of any aftermarket tuner will immediately void the remainder of the warranty (including any Harley-brand extended warranty). If your bike's 2-year warranty has already expired, then no fear, get an FP3 or other aftermarket tuner and tune it properly.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page