Stupid question of the day. Has anybody used Harley Front Guard Vehicle Protection - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By wilo1979

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Stupid question of the day. Has anybody used Harley Front Guard Vehicle Protection

Harley Front Guard Vehicle Protection Kit XG500 P/N: 49000036 on a bike on the street, got a real good deal on the engine guard new in the box, 60 bucks delivered. didn't notice it was the orange one for the riders course till i got it.. i know should have looked up the part #..i didnt. has anybody actually tired one of these on a street bike? or is it going limit the corners to much to where its dangerous...was going put it on the girlfriends bike. i had the powder coat to make it black. thanks in advance. or do i just keep it for a keep sake.. cause i cant return it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
From the pictures of these that I have seen I think it should not limit any movement on the bike, after all it is designed for learners so doubt it will prevent any normal manouvering - it is oversized in order to offer greater protection to the rider as well as the bike in the event that the bike goes on it's side.

Botty
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM

I have scraped the ground while making turns with the orange crash bars. I wouldn't recomend riding the streets with it.
PugslyCat01 likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2019, 05:09 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Gaijin and I chatted about those on another thread a year or two ago. As I recall they stick down a little bit from the frame and use the lower bolts of the radiator cover to connect to the frame whereas most other engine guards use the lower motor mount bolts. The photos that I'm seeing online definitely show the guards on the rider academy bikes extending under the frame, thus reducing ground clearance.

Check out https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...xperience.html under the SECOND DAY RIDING section and you can clearly see what I mean.

I'd like to have similar crash bars as they look like they would make great foot rests, but I don't think these particular bars are that solution.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
post #5 of 6 Old 09-10-2019, 12:25 AM

Garage
I would NOT put this on any of the street models that are not being ridden at the MSF course. I took the MSF course much later than I should have and had quite a bit of riding experience when I went through and scraped those orange bars more than a few times just riding the range behind the harley dealership ... As your girlfriend gains riding experience and is more comfortable in turns scraping those bars will be inevitable, eventually dangerous if she's moving quick enough. Now if your taking her to a parking lot to teach her how to ride putting the bars on short term could be a good training wheels effect.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Engine guards are not crash bars. The bars are designed to limit bike damage not your body damage.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page