Engind Drain Plug size for Street rod 750xga - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ad78
  • 1 Post By Botty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Engind Drain Plug size for Street rod 750xga

hi,
can anyone tell me the engine oil drain plug size for Street rod 750xga. Also I need an oversized plug as the threads are worn out, does anyone know what size will fit?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
first time doing change oil on my Street Rod i stripped the half of the tread. believe it or not as long as you still have the rubber washer and you can "hand tight" you are all good.

i dont have any leak at all. again, as long as those tread are tightening and you reach the part that you cannot twist it anymore you are all set.
sam88 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 06:06 PM

How in the world are you guys stripping threads? If you have ruined the threads for the oil drain plug the proper fix is a Helicoil insert but that requires drilling and tapping which means debris in the crankcase. There are expansion plugs but I doubt they make them small enough to fit in the hole, nor would i trust one to stay in place.

Everybody who owns a motorcycle should also own a Service Manual and a torque wrench.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad78 View Post
first time doing change oil on my Street Rod i stripped the half of the tread. believe it or not as long as you still have the rubber washer and you can "hand tight" you are all good.

i dont have any leak at all. again, as long as those tread are tightening and you reach the part that you cannot twist it anymore you are all set.

thanks for the reply,

yeah.. i have i used it 2 times since service, i dont have any leaks either..

all good. my thread had very minor damage i think. i was just not sure.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-28-2019, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VortecCPI View Post
How in the world are you guys stripping threads? If you have ruined the threads for the oil drain plug the proper fix is a Helicoil insert but that requires drilling and tapping which means debris in the crankcase. There are expansion plugs but I doubt they make them small enough to fit in the hole, nor would i trust one to stay in place.

Everybody who owns a motorcycle should also own a Service Manual and a torque wrench.

Quite easy really - I stripped mine when I was taking the oil drain plug OUT! It seems the HD monkey had in fact tightened it too tight. Pointless complaining to HD as they would claim they had not done it same as they did when I took my bike in for it's initial service and they scratched the tank and stated that I had done it.
Having a torque wrench is fine and I am sure the HD monkey has one - actually using it is another thing!
Needless to say the HD monkey will not be touching my bike again !
sam88 likes this.

Botty
post #6 of 6 Old 08-28-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botty View Post
Quite easy really - I stripped mine when I was taking the oil drain plug OUT! It seems the HD monkey had in fact tightened it too tight. Pointless complaining to HD as they would claim they had not done it same as they did when I took my bike in for it's initial service and they scratched the tank and stated that I had done it.
Having a torque wrench is fine and I am sure the HD monkey has one - actually using it is another thing!
Needless to say the HD monkey will not be touching my bike again !

It is NEVER pointless to complain, especially since you have an invoice for the prior oil change.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page