Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Making Kuryakyn ISO grips work on Streets

19K views 50 replies 15 participants last post by  Emzdogz 
#1 ·
For the record, Kuryakyn does not make ISO grips for the Harley Davidson Street or any grips for the Street for that matter. I did ask Kuryakyn in an email if they were going to make any grips for the Street. There response was, sign up for our newsletter and we will tell you there.

This coming from a company whose product is prominently displayed at the dealership where I bought my 750. Not to be deterred, I took it upon myself and my wallet to find a combination of various Kuryakyn ISO grips that could possibly fit.

First I bought the Black 6341 7/8" Universal Medium length (5-3/4"). The left grip fit perfectly. The right grip not so good on the throttle tube and the length was a bit long.

Next I bought Black 6344 7/8" for sport bikes (5"). Again the same problem left was perfect including length however that right side was a no go on fitting the throttle tube.

It gets better, so now I purchase the Black 6320 (1") grips for Harleys which included the throttle tube glued into the right grip. I did try to remove the throttle tube on the right grip but it was just too well glued. I also had purchased a stock right grip and throttle tube #56100043 for the street (cheap). My plan was to use the left grip of the 6320 set and try to insert the Street Throttle tube into it. The throttle tube was still a bit too big. So I got one of the mechanics at the dealership to put the throttle body on a lath and try to shave it down a tiny tiny bit. Well the throttle tube broke in half. Another set back. So I order another street throttle tube and right grip #56100043 .

While waiting on the replacement throttle body to come in at the dealership, I took a look at the Chrome 6240 (1") universal medium length grips without a throttle tube on the right grip. Note...The right grip I.D. is 1-1/4 inch the left was 1 inch. After having both items, along with the rest of my grips, I soon discovered that metal frame for the grip was an exact copy of the the black metal frame on the 6341. I pulled the rubber insert on the right grip of the 6240 and switched it with the rubber in the right grip of the 6341. So now I have 2 black median lenth ISO grips. The left grip 7/8" and the right grip (without throttle tube) 1-1/4" inner diameter.

The throttle tube for the Street fits into the right grip with the 1-1/4" I. D. without the rubber bulging out of the frame like the other sizes did. So now I have grips from 2 different sets of median size (5-3/4" length) Universal ISO's (6240 (1") and 6341(7/8") no throttle tube) that will fit on my bike. These are longer grips than what is currently on the bike and I haven't decided to try them just yet. Also the weather is not cooperating.

One of the parts counter gents has taken an interest in my endeavor and is trying to get Kuryakyn to ship a right grip from the 6320 (made for the Harley's with dual wire for 1 inch bars) without the the throttle tube in it (this may take a while and not sure if Kuryakyn will cooperate). If this works, then Kuryakyn could put together a set for the Street using existing parts from other sets or us hard heads could just do it without Kuryakyn's participation. I would prefer that Kuryakyn get with the program and support Harley's Street platform. Throttle tubes are cheap but the ISO grips are not. :|

This modification is probably not for everyone and the cost for two sets of ISO grips is probably a deterring factor. The other is the grips that will fit now are longer than stock.

See less See more
#47 ·
You guys are over complicating this....by a long shot

The throttle tube is STD Harley ISO size.....so just buy ISO grip...no need to change the throttle tube

The clutch side is 7/8 (22 metric) - it is easy, buy a piece of alloy or acrylic tube with 7/8" ID and 1" OD and use glue it in place, then just buy STD ISO clutch side also

I did it....works well...no mucking about with 2 sizes

Check out the grips on mine in my video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QjQP-Uk444

Ray

#51 ·
hi, I did go ahead and order this, thanks for mentioning it, even though I'll only need it on one side for grips. With the other piece I am going to replace the home-brew shimming system I now have in place to hold a Memphis Shades windscreen with clamps for 1" bars (the shims/adapters for 7/8" in bars are missing) to my Street's bars.
For the moment I have enough stuff shoved under there that it's working fine, really, but I'll welcome being able to use this instead.
Thanks!

Here you go.

Joker Machine 7/8" Metric To 1" Harley Handlebar Adapters - RevZilla

None of the options are complicated. Just a heads up though, no one can check out your grips when your hands are on them the entire video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.