6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO WanderZest View Post
Yes, an Allen Wrench is the correct tool. You may need a longer Allen Wrench to get enough torque on the bolt. Or even a socket Allen tool which can be used with socket wrench to get more torque. Those tend to be kind of expensive for a singe use kind of item. If you are having to apply a lot of torque to loosen the bolt you want to make sure it is fitting very well to avoid stripping the bolt head.
Good Luck.
thanks for advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 06-13-2015, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
luggage Rack help

Shift to our new backrest with detachable carrier with 30kg load capacity.

www.devdihatti.in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 26 Old 10-29-2016, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used one of these. And its super handy to have around for many many other things around the house (or particularly disassembling and reassembling Ikea furniture!)

I used the 6mm allen wrench for the fender bolts/hardware mounting kit bolts.

Dewalt Metric Locking Hex Key Set
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 3.54.28 AM.png (314.0 KB, 12 views)

post #14 of 26 Old 10-31-2016, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IYAAYAS View Post
I had the exact problem. I stripped the first bolt. I took it to my dealer who proceeded to strip the next three. Once they got them out, they told me that the specification called for blue loctite and the factory put red loctite on them. They remarked that they would see a whole bunch more of this in their future. You didn't do anything wrong.
If you are stripping them you are either using the wrong hex head size or using an L shaped key and not seating them properly and over torquing. Proper tools you need... Not backyard alley brake jobs to get by... You need a 3/8" ratchet with a hex head of either metric or standard in size.... I am assuming metric but I recently worked on 2 others and the shifter peg was a 1/4" not a 6mm or 7mm as I thought... but that's due to the common thread pitch and diameter of all other HDs using that same style shifter peg that is threaded in the shift lever...

The color of the Loctite isn't so detrimental and that serious, blue vs red is only medium vs high strength... Loctite isn't that strong to begin with, even when used on car/truck inner tie rods and other heavy duty items, they can come undone with the proper technique and tools with no problem... I have done them hundred times or more... Red, blue, green and violet... Those are the different colors I have encountered in my time... Even a little heat could do the trick but obviously not on the back fender where the paint meets the hex heads...

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)
post #15 of 26 Old 10-31-2016, 10:49 PM

You cannot apply enough torque with the handle hex heads and L shaped keys... You need a proper tool set, trust me on this one from experience... keep busting knuckles and work smarter, not harder...

Torque= applied force x strength or T=f(S)

simple physics...

post #16 of 26 Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJWW View Post
Hey guys, I trying to get my luggage rack on and I having a problem with the fender bolts. Is there an easy way I using an allen key Is the right tool or am I just going crazy?

thanks
I'm confused. I just added the docking hardware on my 750 and the original fender bolts where T-50 Torx. The docking hardware replaces these with 6mm allen. NOTE: I would recommend using a socket torx/allen when removing these bolts -- you have to break the bolt loose and it take quite a bit of effort; using a torx or allen wrench and you may end up stripping it.
post #17 of 26 Old 02-02-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I'm confused. I just added the docking hardware on my 750 and the original fender bolts where T-50 Torx. The docking hardware replaces these with 6mm allen. NOTE: I would recommend using a socket torx/allen when removing these bolts -- you have to break the bolt loose and it take quite a bit of effort; using a torx or allen wrench and you may end up stripping it.

Having said this, I am also having a problem. I can't get the rack to seat into the docking hardware.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilleyja View Post

Having said this, I am also having a problem. I can't get the rack to seat into the docking hardware.
I'm lost as to what you are trying to say? It is a simple and easy installation, didn't you guys read the instructions, and obviously if it is out of our capabilities, then why are you attempting to do it? Not trying to knock you or belittle, but honestly, if you are having that much trouble, find someone local and close to help you... T-50 is a Torx bit, or the 5 or 6 point star, with or without a security hole in the center...

Pictures would help, but if you had the washers and spacers that come with the kit installed correctly, then it goes right on with no fuss, it's mean to be a plug and play or set it and forget it...

Let me upload all the instructions I have for this accessory....

post #19 of 26 Old 02-02-2017, 11:37 AM

Here are the instructions, PDF styled format... I don't understand why people do the things they do, I just react to them... SOB file is too large... Seriously? How am I going to show you guys anything with a 20kb limit? And yet guys show full 4k pictures that are obviously more than 20kb...

post #20 of 26 Old 02-02-2017, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilleyja View Post

I think I read somewhere they changed the bolts from allen to torx from 2015 to 2016... Might be mis-remembering that though. I ended up having to use a breaker bar and and the torx bit to break mine loose.

Getting the rack to seat in properly the first time is a bit counter intuitive. Basically you seat the fixed end in, and then line up the gaps in the locking end with the pegs. Once they are lined up you basically just push the rack down till the peg is centered in the lock. Then you might have to manually rotate the lock around to get it to click into place. Once you get it once it is really easy to do after that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page