Mileage figure obtained , test ride from april!!! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mileage figure obtained , test ride from april!!!

called 4 regional dealers today , these are the figure qouted (all in kilometer per litre)-
25kmpl highway .
15-20 city , 20-25 highway
15-20 city, 20-25 highway
15 city , 20-25 highway .

15 kmpl = 35.28mpg
20 kmpl = 47mpg

These are exact same figures are iron 883cc.

Also test ride will be from april 2nd week onwards so no hands-on experience for another 30days atleast.

When I asked them why mileage is similar to iron even though performance is inferior(their own word , yes it it wont be able to outrun the heavier iron) , they didn't give a straight answer but diverted the topic.

Anyone else who contacts the dealer , can you guys please verify the numbers .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
thanks for posting this.
MPG's don't seem too bad at all actually
do you think it might even slightly differ in the Street?

post #3 of 18 Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhoonigan View Post
thanks for posting this.
MPG's don't seem too bad at all actually
do you think it might even slightly differ in the Street?
I was expecting higher figure to be honest , 20 kmpl average in city and 25 on highway . This motor is based on current gen tech yet has same fuel efficiency as iron while inferior in performance(one harley dealer said this outright - iron is faster in every sense). Ideally it should be superior on both fronts , atleast on one.

post #4 of 18 Old 02-26-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
i wonder if they just gave you the iron figures . there is no way the numbers are exactly the same as the iron
Livin On likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Great intel @basuroy!
basuroy likes this.

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-26-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
i wonder if they just gave you the iron figures . there is no way the numbers are exactly the same as the iron
No they didn't . And those are approx figures dozens of iron owners have reported in india. Everyone gets 22-24 avg on highway which is same as the number qouted by dealers for street(20+ , 20-25).

Mileage is a huge deal in india because of outrageous fuel prices so dealers always take extra care before qouting a figure.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-26-2014, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
A motorcycle like this with a modern engine and power train with this size and type of engine at this performance level should net at least 55 mpg U.S., highway. My Honda CTX700 gets in the mid seventies. Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki all have similarly-sized and powered and curb weighted bikes and all get in the mid to upper fifties. The BMW's maybe even a little better. No one does as well as Honda at mpg, but the HD should come in with the other Japanese brands. It's really not that tough of a standard for a 750 bike with a V-twin against these other brands, because they don't really focus on good fuel economy. This is disappointing, and if true, is a deal breaker for me. I have to cut it off somewhere. And 50 mpg is the point where I draw the line on a small, not-so-fast bike, even if it is as cool as the Street 750. It sort of defeats the point of a small bike if it drinks gas like a super sport or a touring bike.

Last edited by gregsfc; 02-26-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
I am going throw my two cents in here. IF... it is the same as the 883 as they claim... there are a lot of guys over on the XL Forum that get upwards of 70 mpg with 883s on the highway, many claim well into 60s, with mid 50s or so city driving.
I have a carbed XL1200, and push 50 mpg highway, 45 city/highway mix WITH sport windshield and bags. My old 91 XL1200 used to get 52 mpg combined, riding bare (no, not naked, I mean bare bike).
My opinion on the reason that the Street 750 and the XL883 could be the same mileage is the difference in optimal engine RPM. I suspect that the cruise RPM on the Street is higher than the Evo 883, just as the redline is much higher on the Street.
You must keep in mind that how YOU operate any bike will be the biggest determining factor in fuel mileage. Ride easy and you will be rewarded, ride like you stole it, and well, you know what I am saying.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes I categorically asked them 2 things-
1. Mileage is same as iron 883 and they replied yes they are both more or less same.
2. I also asked them to compare performance - every single one refused to and beat around the bush . The vibe I got was the street is weaker .

You should note that mileage is a huge deal in india and can prove the biggest deal breaker/maker when it comes to decisions. So if a dealer is qouting a number , he will take extra care and will almost certainly qoute the real world number(if not the upper limit which is what most do).

You guys have much better and open roads than india so it is possible you get better numbers . And yes it goes without saying that a lot depends on the rider though they won't qoute the figure for riding it like your pant is on fire ...
post #10 of 18 Old 02-27-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Yes I categorically asked them 2 things-
1. Mileage is same as iron 883 and they replied yes they are both more or less same.
2. I also asked them to compare performance - every single one refused to and beat around the bush . The vibe I got was the street is weaker .

You should note that mileage is a huge deal in india and can prove the biggest deal breaker/maker when it comes to decisions. So if a dealer is qouting a number , he will take extra care and will almost certainly qoute the real world number(if not the upper limit which is what most do).

You guys have much better and open roads than india so it is possible you get better numbers . And yes it goes without saying that a lot depends on the rider though they won't qoute the figure for riding it like your pant is on fire ...
if performance is weaker and the street is lighter how can they possibly be identical? I think you've been the victim of subterfuge. Not to mention the Rev X engine *should* be far more efficient than the iron 883, overhead vs rods...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page