User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-16-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Drag Bars

I'm thinking I'm probably going to order some drag bars and new grips this week. I've been looking at the Tuffside bars which is a division of Chapell Customs so I know I'll be getting good quality without paying the huge price for the Harley brand. I'm wondering if any of you that have drag bars on your bike can tell me how they feel ergonomically. Do they seem too low? I'm only 5'7" so I don't anticipate a problem but I see they offer a riser to go on the bottom side of the mount. They state it is for a more comfortable position and for clearance. They are also a couple of inches shorter in width than Harleys so I'm wondering if all the controls will fit okay. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-17-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have had drag bars and new grips on my bike for a little over a year now. I like the overall fit and feel a lot better than what the stock bars were offering. I think it looks better as well but that's just me. I feel a lot more confident going into the corners now with a slight forward lean. I know the stock bars are 32" wide where as my drag bars are only 28" wide. I was concerned about everything fitting at first but once the bar is on it's really not a problem at all. I picked the 28" wide bar as opposed to a 32" drag bar because the 28" offered a 2" pull back where the 32" offered a 4" pull back. I also changed out the throttle tube at the same time due to the fact that our bars are 7/8" bars but the stock throttle tube fits a 1" grip. I ordered my grips and throttle tube from dime city cycles and my drag bar off of eBay. I believe the total cost on my install was $60 all said and done including the bar end mirrors I switched to. It's a pretty simple install, and just take your time with it. I'm sure you'll be happy with the end results!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0809_1476717275738.jpg (153.8 KB, 58 views)
post #3 of 8 Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Here's a shot before I changed the mirrors as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7753_1476717336407.jpg (120.6 KB, 47 views)

post #4 of 8 Old 10-18-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks

Thanks for the info. Your set up is pretty much what I'm looking to do. What is the deal with the throttle tube. Does that mean I actually need to look for 1" grips instead of 7/8" or switch out the throttle tube as you did.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-18-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ringle View Post
Thanks for the info. Your set up is pretty much what I'm looking to do. What is the deal with the throttle tube. Does that mean I actually need to look for 1" grips instead of 7/8" or switch out the throttle tube as you did.
My throttle tube only cost $8 if I remember right. It was longer than I needed it to be, so I installed it to where I wanted it and just cut the end off once it was installed before putting on the grips. I figured this would be the easier route to go because otherwise you would be looking at purchasing two sets of grips. One which is 7/8" and one that is 1". Changing the tube eliminated the need to purchase two sets of grips and was cheaper than a second pair of grips which was also nice
post #6 of 8 Old 12-13-2016, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Jmiske1, what seat do you have on your bike?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-13-2016, 12:35 PM

It's the stock seat with the tuffside DIY seat cover. I chose the black with silver stitching. It adds a bit more padding over the stock seat cover which is nice. Very easy install
post #8 of 8 Old 06-06-2017, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
can you post some pics/links of what you mean by saying the bars are 7/8 but the throttle tube is 1 inch?

sounds simple enough, but I can't wrap my head around...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page