User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Street vs V-Strom 650

Other than the styling of the street and that it is made in the USA, why is the street better overall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-31-2019, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
On the HD, on both sides of the tank is a badge that says 'Harley Davidson'. That does it for me

But why would anyone want a bike that looks like it was built for crossing the dessert when in reality it is a relatively ugly bike that simply copy's many others out there!

Botty
post #3 of 8 Old 01-31-2019, 04:44 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Which is better is going to depend on how you are going to use it and how the bikes fit you. My tall, lanky brother really likes the riding position on some bikes that my short, fat self doesn't care for.

Some benefits of the Harley xg750 are:
  • The Harley has a lower seat height, if that is important to you.
  • The xg750 list price for base bikes is $1,200 less for the Harley. I haven't researched how options compare.
  • The xg750/500 drinks regular gas instead of high octane . With both bikes getting around 50 mpg the cost difference isn't likely to break the bank, but it is noticeable.
  • In some areas needing higher octane gas can limit your fueling options. Some of the stations here in Iowa only have 89 octane E10, 89 octane straight gas, and maybe diesel.
Some benefits of the V-Strom are:
  • The V-Strom has a larger tank and thus more range.
  • It also has off road capability that the xg750 lacks.
  • There are more options for tires on the V-Strom than on the Streets. We seem to be the only ones using those sizes of tires.
  • The V-Strom has been sold in greater numbers than the Streets, so there are probably more people online and locally for support and camaraderie.

How is the dealer support network in the area that you will be riding in? I routinely go back and forth between my apartment near the office and my house in the country. Depending on the route, I will pass 3-5 H-D chapels, never being more than 50 miles from one. Those same several routes will pass 0-2 Suzuki dealerships. Your situation may be the exact opposite.

Several people here have remarked about the disdain that the "Harley Faithful" and some dealers have for the Street series of bikes. On another forum is a thread about how H-D is doing with entry level bikes and there is a whole lot of snark directed at the Street family. I don't think anybody has a real problem with the V-Strom. I seem to recall that Botty had some firsthand experience with this on an early ride.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver

post #4 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 11:06 AM

Another consideration which is dependent upon how you ride is that the Harley Streets have maintenance free belt drives. The V-Strom has a chain. That chain requires cleaning and lubrication every 200-300 miles.

If you are doing some serious off road riding the chain is a must. Something will get between the sprocket and chain or the pulley and belt, breaking whichever spins the rear wheel. The chain can be fixed along the trail by replacing broken links using simple hand tools. Replacing a belt is a bit more work.

post #5 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat01 View Post
Which is better is going to depend on how you are going to use it and how the bikes fit you. My tall, lanky brother really likes the riding position on some bikes that my short, fat self doesn't care for.

Some benefits of the Harley xg750 are:
  • The Harley has a lower seat height, if that is important to you.
  • I'm 5'11 so the Street is a little on the small side for me.

Quote:
  • The xg750 list price for base bikes is $1,200 less for the Harley. I haven't researched how options compare.
It is a little more. I was thinking of what to "graduate to" for commuting. One of your other posts alerted me to the new Pan America bike Harley is making. 1250cc is a little tall for a commuter bike. And knobby tires aren't necessary for most people. But I'm curious if they make a model with less displacement and street tires at some point.

Quote:
  • The xg750/500 drinks regular gas instead of high octane . With both bikes getting around 50 mpg the cost difference isn't likely to break the bank, but it is noticeable.
  • This is interesting. I've been putting the high octane in my Street. Is it really necessary? (I thought it was)

Quote:
  • In some areas needing higher octane gas can limit your fueling options. Some of the stations here in Iowa only have 89 octane E10, 89 octane straight gas, and maybe diesel.
  • Quote:
    Some benefits of the V-Strom are:
    • The V-Strom has a larger tank and thus more range.
    • It also has off road capability that the xg750 lacks.
    • There are more options for tires on the V-Strom than on the Streets. We seem to be the only ones using those sizes of tires.
    • The V-Strom has been sold in greater numbers than the Streets, so there are probably more people online and locally for support and camaraderie.

How is the dealer support network in the area that you will be riding in? I routinely go back and forth between my apartment near the office and my house in the country. Depending on the route, I will pass 3-5 H-D chapels, never being more than 50 miles from one. Those same several routes will pass 0-2 Suzuki dealerships. Your situation may be the exact opposite.
    The V-Strom also has way better performance specs which is nice. The chain drive is a bit of the issue. I did not know about that. I did have to replace the drive belt on my Street. But it was because the bolt snapped that holds the front sprocket on and the belt shredded. Over torqued from factory? I bought a low miles used one on eBay and changed it myself. It was an Saturday afternoon job, but I did have to take apart half the bike to change it. Typically the belt should last a really long time though, which I prefer to oiling a chain.

We have two Harley dealerships. One in the north and one in the south. They are very proud of their work though, so I end up doing nearly all of it myself. The independent Harley shops are geared towards air cooled bikes. I doubt they see many streets.
    There are a large number of competing shops for Japanese bikes. Probably due to the huge number of University of Texas students riding around on their crotch rockets.

Quote:
    Several people here have remarked about the disdain that the "Harley Faithful" and some dealers have for the Street series of bikes. On another forum is a thread about how H-D is doing with entry level bikes and there is a whole lot of snark directed at the Street family. I don't think anybody has a real problem with the V-Strom. I seem to recall that Botty had some firsthand experience with this on an early ride.
    Harley is really struggling right now. Sales are way down. The crowd that gave them big financial success in the late 90s and early 2000s is now aging out. Their 401k's are running dry, they are getting to old to ride, etc. The new generation of riders don't hold things like "air cooled" dear to their heart. The Pan America bike you mentioned gives me hope. That looks like a step in the right direction. And the styling is better than the V-strom. I can see where there are two distinctive groups forming in the Harley space. Sort of like how people from North Austin don't talk or socialize much with people from South Austin. The river divides us lol
    post #6 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liquiddog2 View Post
    I'm 5'11 so the Street is a little on the small side for me.
    Me too. My solution is highway pegs and possibly forward controls in the future...and I bought a Sportster with forward controls.
    Quote:
    One of your other posts alerted me to the new Pan America bike Harley is making. 1250cc is a little tall for a commuter bike. And knobby tires aren't necessary for most people. But I'm curious if they make a model with less displacement and street tires at some point.
    The modular engine used in the Pan America and Street Fighter is to be produced in 500, 750, 975(?) and 1250cc sizes. That gives us some hope that H-D will make the various bikes in assorted sizes.

The available Pan America images are of a pre-production bike, so it may come with a much milder tire than is being shown. Assuming it isn't an oddball tire size you may be able to swap it out yourself and keep the knobbies around as spares.
    Quote:
    This is interesting. I've been putting the high octane in my Street. Is it really necessary? (I thought it was)
    The service guy who briefed me before taking my bike home told me to use 91 octane, but when I brought that up here Gaijin pointed out that the manual says regular gas is fine. At the time I was having problems finding high octane gas along one route to my home in the country is why I brought that up as an issue.
    Quote:
    The V-Strom also has way better performance specs which is nice.
    Yea, I've ridden a V-Strom and the SV650. Our bikes don't really perform that well compared to some of the others on the market with the same or even smaller displacement. I'm reasonably certain that H-D's business model is to produce bikes with substandard performance in order to push Screaming Eagle mods.
    Quote:
    The chain drive is a bit of the issue. I did not know about that. I did have to replace the drive belt on my Street.... I bought a low miles used one on eBay and changed it myself. It was an Saturday afternoon job, but I did have to take apart half the bike to change it. Typically the belt should last a really long time though, which I prefer to oiling a chain.
    That's why the off road guys prefer chains. They can use a chain breaker to remove the busted link, thread the chain through the works with little or no disassembly, and press the rivets into a new master link in short order by the side of the trail. The trade off is the time needed cleaning and oiling the chain.

There are V-Strom belt drive conversion kits available. Expect to drop between $1,000 and $1,500 for one. I ran into the same thing when I was lusting after a Triumph Speedmaster.
    Quote:
    We have two Harley dealerships. One in the north and one in the south. They are very proud of their work though, so I end up doing nearly all of it myself.
    I asked about dealership when I didn't know how you were using the bike. My use cases are commuting, just like you, and trips from work to my home 175 miles away. It's a comfort on the longer trips that I've got a dealership that knows about my bike along the way. Not a big deal for the local commute.
    Quote:
    The independent Harley shops are geared towards air cooled bikes. I doubt they see many streets.
    I'd be tempted to go into some of those shops and ask them to quote installing a mod or doing some other customization. That's not so much because I want them to do the work but to see how receptive they are to working on your bike. If they are cool about it, I would know I had options. If they were jerks, I'd know not to go back.
    Quote:
    There are a large number of competing shops for Japanese bikes.
    My dealer does the scheduled maintenance, I do the bolt on mods, and my local Kawasaki dealer handles anything else.
    Quote:
    Harley is really struggling right now.... The Pan America bike you mentioned gives me hope. That looks like a step in the right direction.
    Most of us don't want to admit that H-D is a big fish in a small pond. They own the cruiser motorcycle market in the United States. They are a dominant force here, but if they aren't making small (250cc and smaller) motorcycles, scooters, and ebikes they aren't a player in a lot of the world market. They need to get some traction in other market segments or the future is bleak. Part of the problem is the disdain that the shrinking number of Harley Faithful have for anything that's not a jumbo cruiser. They howl that the company has lost its way if it does anything for anybody that isn't them.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
    Quote:
    On the HD, on both sides of the tank is a badge that says 'Harley Davidson'. That does it for me
    When I was single I had interesting experiences with women. More of them walk up and compliment the street. I think because it’s sporty looking and not so intimidating looking. But they see the Harley badge. So you’ll have more conversations with women on the street without trying.

Less compliment the vrod. I think because it’s so intimidating looking.

I once saw a woman with perfect 10 hips/butt, cute face, and nice chest. I rolled up next to her on the vrod while she was pumping gas and got her number. We texted back and forth a few times but she was playing hard to get. I didn’t have the time or energy for it. You figure the entire city was trying to hit that.

I
    post #8 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=incSwssUyp4

Back on topic tomorrow. 🙂

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page