Royal Enfield Continental GT or Harley Davidson Street 500?? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Royal Enfield Continental GT or Harley Davidson Street 500??

Having a bit of a difficult time talking myself onto the Street 500 with the Royal Enfield Continental GT sitting right there in range.

I mean the Enfield has a slightly larger 535cc engine, is arguably styled much more tastefully and costs $7200, only $500 more than the Street 500s MSRP of $6,700...

the enfield puts out 29 HP in a 405 lb (wet) package for P/W of 13.9, not exactly setting the world on fire but similar to the Street 500s 480 lb wet weight coupled with 32 BHP gives the Street 500 a P/W of 15 lbs/HP.

So for the Enfield you get a stunning bike, better performance and a true modern classic all for a similar price....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 12-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Both bikes are great looking and given that the specs are so similar it really comes down to taste. I have to say that the Harley Street looks like it may be more comfortable than the Royal Enfield Continental GT.
post #3 of 34 Old 12-05-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
the ergos on the enfield are actually not that bad as you would expect from a cafe styled bike....

post #4 of 34 Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
hows it like getting parts for those Enfields? They are nice looking motorcycles but I have not seen a dealer ever.
post #5 of 34 Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
hows it like getting parts for those Enfields? They are nice looking motorcycles but I have not seen a dealer ever.
it's probably best to check with a motorcycle store that carries a wide range of bikes, likely they can get you the parts in a good amount of time.

post #6 of 34 Old 12-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
I always enjoyed the look of the enfields but never really looked in to actually owning one. Does anybody know the reliability of the engines in them?

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
post #7 of 34 Old 12-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I've seen Enfields online but I've never seen any in real life. I haven't seen any dealers for them either. Are they even sold in North America? Maybe they are a European thing.

Great looking bike though. I would give it a test ride to see if it speaks to me.
post #8 of 34 Old 12-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyVest View Post
I always enjoyed the look of the enfields but never really looked in to actually owning one. Does anybody know the reliability of the engines in them?
from research it seems like they aren't the most reliable. and getting parts can sometimes be tricky.
post #9 of 34 Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
th enfield will be released in the US roughly the same time the HD Streets are released...
post #10 of 34 Old 04-16-2014, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Actually I am reviving a dead thread! I have been averse to Enfields for long and have always relied on Hondas for my daily commuting. But Royal Enfield Continental GT Changed that for me; The bike is coming with newly designed by Harris Engineering Chassis, Brembo brakes, Good quality Italian Piaoli Shock Absorbers at rear, Pirelli tyres, Tachometer, FuelGauge, Aluminium wheels, quality paint job and all that chrome.
We in India are not getting Street 500 but Street 750. Now this very Harley after a recent test ride seemed to be Banglored Harley to me! Low quality indian vendor i.e. Endurance brakes that lack bite, front forks and rear shocks that are good new and don't know how these would perform in long term again from Indian vendor. No Showas or Sachs here! And worst are the MRF tyres that lack grip for which dealership is quoting a price of Rs 20000; compared to that SuperLow tyres- Michelin Scorchers cost Rs 30000 at dealership with all that Harley Stamping and comes with high speed rating.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page