Reason Behind Aggressive pricing for Harley-Davidson Street 750 - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Reason Behind Aggressive pricing for Harley-Davidson Street 750

Guys,

We wonder how HD managed to price HD Street 750 at price tag of 4.1 lakh.

India has been growing as a global sourcing base and the Street 750 has a very high level of content sourced from Indian suppliers. Parts like front forks, swingarm, body frame, cylinder head, engine parts, brakes and tyres, have all come from Indian manufacturers. It is, perhaps, the first time that such a high level of critical components is being sourced for any product by the 110-year-old company.

More details --> Aggressive pricing for Harley-Davidson Street 750 | Bike News | Bikes 500cc-800cc | Autocar India
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IndianSourcing.jpg (79.9 KB, 30 views)
Santosh kumar and gregsfc like this.

Four wheels move the body... Two wheels move the soul...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Santosh kumar
I feared this is the reason for cost cutting when I mentioned regarding MRF tyres ,this sums up everything
I wonder how this will impact on overall bike performance ,one can only tell once the bikes are available for test rides...
post #3 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes but heard that Michelin has soft rubber which is not good for Indian roads so that is why MRF is chosen which is more rough and tough

post #4 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Are there any issues with getting so many of the parts from Indian manufacturers? Are they poor quality or something? If not, I think that this is a step in the right direction. As long as quality is still good I say good for HD.
Christopher and AYEDEE like this.
post #5 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testiphony View Post
Are there any issues with getting so many of the parts from Indian manufacturers? Are they poor quality or something? If not, I think that this is a step in the right direction. As long as quality is still good I say good for HD.
yes I have read in interview of Mr. Anoop Prakash that lot of checks were done on various companies in past 3 yrs and then they were finalized.

HD says they have not at all compromised with the quality.

I kinda believe it as HD is known for its quality and commitment.

post #6 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
If this for all 750's world wide or just for India?

post #7 of 30 Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhoonigan View Post
If this for all 750's world wide or just for India?
US Bikes will be made in US and for asia pacific Streets will be exported from India.

And all export models will have Michellin Tyres.

MRF are only for India.

But we should not worry about the quality of these as HD has done extensive research and approved companies only based on true quality and not cost/cost cutting.

post #8 of 30 Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This is a new trend in the industry. The big players are coming out with world bikes and building them in a few, select factories around the world, with certain factories servicing certain markets. There is a cost reduction in this trend and a new, higher quality standard at these new price points. HD must feel like they must get in on this trend, because it's the future for the industry.

I think HD's decision to try and source as much as possible from India for Indian-made bikes, with Indians being the primary consumers, is something that makes HD different than the other players. They don't simply go out and get bids and go with the lowest-priced supplier like Honda and Yamaha do. It has always been in their DNA and part of their image to come out with products sold in America, built in North America, including components as much as possible, which is a hard thing to do in a global market place. I think that with respect to the upcoming American-made Streets, they will have attempted to do the same here. They'll source as much as they can here and still be price competitive and still make a profit.

In the U.S., it's part of the reason so many people buy Harleys. Americans want an American-made bike that is also high quality and good value. I think that's what HD tries to do.
post #9 of 30 Old 02-25-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
I thought the HD Street for the India market was 100% made in India? Maybe that could contribute to Harley being able to offer such a competitive price in that market.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-25-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
If everything isn't already like that then they should make it like that, any way to cut pricing down in a nation that calls for cheaper products will help them

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page