12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brakes of Street 750

The brakes on my street 750 are weak and doesn't inspire confidence. I have got this checked at HD service centre but it was not of much help. This seems to be a problem with most of Street 750 owners are facing. Will request for inputs from Members and ideas to rectify within HD warranty frame!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
I have not had this issue. Please explain what you mean by weak.

Have a Peachy Day.
post #3 of 30 Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Interesting, what other members here have you noticed had this issue?
If there are any specific members you noticed with the same issue you may want to call them in with the @username mention tool.

post #4 of 30 Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Weak Brakes on the Street 750

A large number of reports, especially from various 'Experts' from various Auto magazines and Journals have stated that the brakes feel wooden or inefficient.
When I went for the test drive, I was specially wanting to check out this aspect. My experience was that the braking effort required was on the higher side. Or, maybe I was influenced by the reporters. After a couple of more test drives, I concluded that the brakes could have been better. They are not ineffective or inefficient but one will have to get used to them until something can be done to improve them. Personally, I think for a heavy bike, unlike the 100 to 200 cc variety which are much lighter, the braking effort required is more. Also, for a bike which accelerates like the Street 750 does, the brakes definitely need to be better. Safety cannot be compromised. I am sure after market solutions are round the corner... Better brake pads, 4 pot callipers and so on.
post #5 of 30 Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
I've found no problems related to the brakes on my 750 at all but would add the following caveats.

First and foremost I'm not a motorcycle racer that requires maximum braking performance. I'm a street and highway rider that only requires braking performance based upon normal street and highway riding.

Next is that I can literally lock up the brakes anytime and can apply any amount of braking required between lightly braking and literally locking up the tires. Yes, brake pads can affect how quickly momentum is converted into heat (which slows the motorcycle) but that is an easy change if someone wants reduced stopping distances.

Finally I don't ride in a manner that results in panic stopping. By always being aware of "everything" I avoid emergency situations that require extreme braking performance.

Beyond all of these comments on today's braking issues I'll mention I grew up with motorcycles that often had drum brakes and you can't even compare today's disc brakes with the drum brakes that were "just fine" in the past.

Subike likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Hopefully they do address it, I have noticed a lot of people complain about how the brakes are to a point that it was a deal breaker for them, that should scare HD a bit.

post #7 of 30 Old 08-29-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
That's a safety issue and ABS must be there.
post #8 of 30 Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhoonigan View Post
Hopefully they do address it, I have noticed a lot of people complain about how the brakes are to a point that it was a deal breaker for them, that should scare HD a bit.

As I mentioned I haven't had any problem with my Street 750 braking and I've already put on almost 1,000 miles. They're slightly different than my Sportster but actually stop the motorcycle in less distance (because the Sportster is heavier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet View Post
That's a safety issue and ABS must be there.

A lot of inexperienced riders certainly benefit from ABS while an experienced rider can stop in virtually the same distance. ABS does provide slightly more handling stability when braking but once again experience will compensate for any stability issues when braking.

I'll return to one important point. Simply stay out of situations that require emergency braking.

Subike likes this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #9 of 30 Old 08-29-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Never driven a bike with ABS till date. But if bike is expensive like Street 750 atleat in India though it sells here at cheapest price, ABS should be there. Premium Product...!!!
post #10 of 30 Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Brakes on the Street 750

It is interesting to note the two clear opinions emerging during this discussion. One being that driving safe and cautiously avoids getting you into tricky situations and the other that the brakes must be powerful enough to stop you in any situation.
Well both views are correct, but I think the difference emerges from two different continents and how people drive in each of these countries and the road conditions existing in each.
The US based riders in my opinion feel that the brakes will prove adequate if the bike is driven sensibly. Totally true!
However, from the Indian perspective, I agree with the members from India that the need is to be able to handle unexpected situations which crop up every few minutes,if not seconds because we Indians are totally lacking in Road etiquette and secondly, our roads are grossly over crowded.
Therefore, this divergence of views,which are both relevant in their own place.
sid and Revvhead like this.

Last edited by AYEDEE; 08-29-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Incorrect spellings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page