Issue with Rear brake assembly - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-03-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Issue with Rear brake assembly

Hi guys,
I have a street bought in Jan 13. Apparantly there is an issue of the rear brake assembly being placed between the silencer and the wheel, which causes the heat from the silencer to affect the brake oil and thinning it. A few of fellow riders have had accidents because the brakes have failed. We have taken up the issue with Spice coast HD in Kochi. No positive reply yet. Can anyone shed light on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-06-2015, 06:26 AM

I had a crash last week....cause the rear brakes did not function properly...!!
post #3 of 13 Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
The rear brakes provide a low percentage of stopping power on most bikes. As the weight is forward when braking, the front brake does a lions share of the work. I have no issue with the rear brake on my 750, it is adequate for what it is, but I NEVER rely on it alone to stop the bike. A combination of front and rear, mostly front gets the job done just fine.
AYEDEE likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-06-2015, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
The rear brakes provide a low percentage of stopping power on most bikes. As the weight is forward when braking, the front brake does a lions share of the work. I have no issue with the rear brake on my 750, it is adequate for what it is, but I NEVER rely on it alone to stop the bike. A combination of front and rear, mostly front gets the job done just fine.
Can you guys confirm you were using both brakes and properly so that a dismissive post doesn't cause us to forget about a possible SERIOUS issue?
10-64 likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-17-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Atleast 5-6 guys have had rear brake failures here.. but HD tech people dont acknowledge there is a problem,..

they say use front-rear 70:30.. but is that a solution?
post #6 of 13 Old 04-17-2015, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvgpal View Post
Atleast 5-6 guys have had rear brake failures here.. but HD tech people dont acknowledge there is a problem,..

they say use front-rear 70:30.. but is that a solution?
Rear brake master cylinder has manufacturing issues on some units . I has a complete failure on the rear brake and my dealer in bangalore replaced the part immediately. I appreciate tusker harley being prompt and candid !!!
post #7 of 13 Old 04-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Again it seems strange to me that this shows up in bikes manufactured in India. Quality control seems to take a vacation in India? We see things in the bikes manufactured in the USA but nothing like I hear on the forum about the bikes built in India.

Looking at it the XG is built with the same parts just assembled by different workers and parts are inspected by different quality control people.

Do you think there is a weakness in manufacturing in India? Or maybe workers that assemble need more training? Just really stands out mathematically that something is going wrong in that plant?
10-64 likes this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #8 of 13 Old 04-19-2015, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I hope not, the bikes that are being delivered to Australia are all assembled in India.

We have only had bikes being delivered here since last week in February, so I have not yet heard of any problems.

I have only just received my bike, no problems so far but I have only got 150km on the clock.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpatil View Post
I had a crash last week....cause the rear brakes did not function properly...!!
It's unfortunate that you had a crash due to brake failure. Concerns are being voiced by other users also with regard to placement of rear brake cylinder leading to brake failure. I don't want to underplay your concerns and sound callous, but I have not faced any such issues at all and I ride my bike almost daily. Apparently, there is a case of understanding the mechanics of bike brakes by almost all of us. Some riders have scoffed at the idea of using both brakes together as a solution to proper braking, but that is the ONLY safe braking practice on two wheelers.
To analyse a cause of brake failure, it is important to know and understand the braking conditions which lead to the crash or failure. The first thing to analyse is your own mistakes if any and then move on to road conditions, speed, weather, mechanical condition of your bike, etc... In this order to be able to state with any conviction the real reason for a crash.
One simple method to find out if the bike is to be blamed for brake failures is to poll amongst ourselves to find out how many of us have had brake failures and the reasons for the same.
Maybe the Admin can make note and someone amongst us can start collecting data, if it's possible.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sona71 View Post
I hope not, the bikes that are being delivered to Australia are all assembled in India.

We have only had bikes being delivered here since last week in February, so I have not yet heard of any problems.

I have only just received my bike, no problems so far but I have only got 150km on the clock.

I don't think you will see anything outside of the gas cap (already fixed on your models) and the occasional fuel pump failure.

I think a lot of problems are blamed on Harley that are really the rider.

Europe also gets them delivered from India and to date has seen good workmanship on delivery. We will know with more data in a few months but it always involves a failure that caused a crash. Kind of doubt it since we don't see it in the USA. But the factory is different. That said the others delivered in other countries from the India factory are not seeing it.

You guys are getting the 500s down under?

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page