Insurance Companies - Page 8 - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 73 Old 03-11-2019, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I was listening to a pod cast from Dave Ramsey. He was saying a lot of people are underinsured. We go for the rock bottom rate to meet state minimums but it doesn’t necessarily cover us well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 73 Old 03-12-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquiddog2 View Post
I was listening to a pod cast from Dave Ramsey. He was saying a lot of people are underinsured. We go for the rock bottom rate to meet state minimums but it doesn’t necessarily cover us well

Lot of people are also insurance poor. Over insuring for things that will never pay off. Often if you have a bike with low resale to start with you must decide if paying for full replacement is worth the cost.
Insurance is about risk and that applies to both the insure and the insured. Dave Ramsey makes his money doing what he does . It does no mean every thing he says is gospel. It needs to be looked at in total not peaces here and there.

Last edited by smitty901; 03-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.
post #73 of 73 Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It's the liability coverage specifically. In Texas the minimum coverage is 30/60/25. $30,000 injury per person up to $60,000 per accident. $25,000 for property damage.

So if they are driving a $60k valued car, which isn't unusual at all, and it is totaled, and you are found to be at fault, your insurance will pay $25k. Their insurance will pay $35k assuming they have full coverage. Then their insurance will sue you for the $35k. If there are injuries it keeps piling on. $100k isn't a big hospital bill. Now the cost to you goes up to $105,000. If you have assets worth that the court will liquidate those, or they can garnish wages, etc.

But ya, when you look at the bigger picture it's interesting. Many people will pay for full coverage on a $2,000 valued vehicle, but opt for 30/60/25 coverage which isn't really enough to protect yourself. It'd be better to drop the full coverage and up the liability. IMHO

Edit: I carry 100/300/100 for car insurance at a $128/6 month difference for two cars/drivers. I carry the state minimums on the motorcycle. If I total a Mercedes with my motorcycle I'm probably dead anyway!

Last edited by Liquiddog2; 03-13-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page