LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Noob in Iowa

Hi! My name is Paul and I'm a noob. I had never owned nor ridden a Harley nor any other kind of motorcycle outside the MSF course until I picked up my 2016 xg750 last weekend. That was probably a mistake as it hurts more to drop a new bike instead of a used one, but here I am.

Riding a motorcycle wasn't anything I gave any serious consideration to until a couple of years ago. I split my time between a job site in central Iowa and a home I own near family 170 miles to the southwest. My two old cars were having the wheels run off of them and some financial setbacks had me questioning whether I could finance a replacement car. I took the MSF course late in 2015 and set aside enough cash for either a used bike or as down payment for a used car.

Things worked out for the car, but almost two years later and I was still running the wheels off of one old car and one not quite new car. Something had to give. I had continued to pick up riding gear when I found it cheap and looked into small motorcycles and maxi scooters for my commute.

Last spring I wandered into Loess Hills H-D and they showed me a new xg750. My daily commute plus some errands while I'm working is about 40 miles a day, mostly over paved, lightly traveled county roads and state highways. A few times a year it would be nice to make the trip down to the house on the bike instead of in the car, which can also be done on state highways. The xg750 seemed about right, or at least the best fit for my needs that H-D offered.

It was still there in December and Karl was making a good deal on the now NOS bike. I took it home on Saturday and ran up 25 miles on paved county roads. This weekend I'm going to try and go another 40-80 miles on country roads, some city streets, and maybe even a bit of four lane highway riding.

Early mods to the bike have been:
  • The tallboy seat. I'm only 5'11", but fat. The extra padding is enough to make the stock seat a bit cramped.
  • Engine guards to well, protect the engine when I drop it or even have a low speed accident. Maybe I'll add highway pegs down the line, but not right now.
  • Saddle bags will provide the same modest protection to the rear half of the bike. Instead of the H-D saddle bags I bought a pair of Stansport throw over saddle bags. A set of saree guards like come on the Indian produced bikes keeps the soft bags out of the rear wheel and provides something to tie the bags to.

I need to figure out something on replacement mirrors as well. I'm sure there are multiple threads on this site with suggestions on how to get a better view behind.
Solo750owner and SgtTDC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Im in Omaha...And riding in February!! I got mine back in 2014...love riding it. Welcome. I think the bike is great, for my needs anyways...i work 5-10 miles from home..so rolling around omaha is easy since the bike is so nimble.

Welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike7.jpg (368.9 KB, 23 views)
SgtTDC likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I just bought my 2015 XG 750 in late December 2016 from John Wyzkowski at Loess-Hills Harley-Davidson and joined H.O.G. Chapter #3659 . for mirror solutions I'm buying a set of black mirror extenders to solve the viewing problem.
PugslyCat likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
tony tbags - You are so right about the weather we have been having. I bought my bike three weeks ago and thought I would be taking advantage of their offer to store it until April 1. Then a week later it wasn't exactly a nice day, but good enough for me to pick up the bike and take a couple of short rides.

The only down side to the early riding season is that the county roads I've been riding on don't get brined for ice and snow but they do get a ton of sand. That has caused a couple of tense moments on my rides.

It sounds like you have the ideal riding situation for this bike. I'm actually hoping to use mine for daily commuting from an outlying town to the office 17 miles away, but didn't want a big, thirsty beast for a commuter bike. I was mostly looking at maxi scooters until I came across the xg750.

SgtTDC - Do you have a link or a part number for those extenders? They would be really helpful. Right now I'm not seeing much of anything but my sleeves!

I need to check into H.O.G. Chapter #3659, but for now I'm just trying to learn to ride. I bought the bike three weeks ago and over the last couple of weekends I've racked up 90 miles on black top county roads and US 34.
Solo750owner and SgtTDC like this.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-20-2017, 05:51 PM

Garage
Just call Loess-Hills H-D and ask for the parts dept and tell them that you need mirror extenders (they come in Chrome or Black).I believe the adapters move the mirrors out 2 inches and up 1 inch. I also went to wal-mart and bought a small bicycle mirror that will velcro around the left grip and only cost appx 8 dollars it's a quick fix so you can see behind you.

Last edited by SgtTDC; 02-21-2017 at 05:03 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-25-2017, 07:50 AM

Garage
PugslyCat,I received the mirror adapters and they will not work so I order a pair of aftermarket 7" direct replacement mirrors in black from Loess Hills H-D.There is a 7" stem version in the 2017 H-D parts catalog but they are appx $35.00 a piece compared to $35.00 for the pair of aftermarket ones.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-27-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think I know the adapters you are writing about. I found an aftermarket set that is little more than a 2" stub of a stem that screws in between the clamp for the mirror and the stem of the mirror. I'll let you know how they work out.

I've seen the stretched stem mirrors from H-D. Trying these little spacers first before I get those. I'll probably just get one, see if it makes a difference, and then get the other if the left one helps.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-28-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtTDC View Post
PugslyCat,I received the mirror adapters and they will not work so I order a pair of aftermarket 7" direct replacement mirrors in black from Loess Hills H-D.There is a 7" stem version in the 2017 H-D parts catalog but they are appx $35.00 a piece compared to $35.00 for the pair of aftermarket ones.
Krator makes an even better extension for half the price... $15 Comes with an extender that pushes the mirrors outward 2" and upward 1.25", and speaking from the Gloss black experience, it fits a lot better than the only chrome crap from HD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat View Post
I think I know the adapters you are writing about. I found an aftermarket set that is little more than a 2" stub of a stem that screws in between the clamp for the mirror and the stem of the mirror. I'll let you know how they work out.
I've seen the stretched stem mirrors from H-D. Trying these little spacers first before I get those. I'll probably just get one, see if it makes a difference, and then get the other if the left one helps.
Nah trust me, Krator again, makes an extension kit for half the price for both mirrors... Simple and easy solution... I left a review on Amazon, but I cannot find the part #s in my order, Kapsco Moto is the seller

Quote:
I just bought my 2015 XG 750 in late December 2016 from John Wyzkowski at Loess-Hills Harley-Davidson and joined H.O.G. Chapter #3659 . for mirror solutions I'm buying a set of black mirror extenders to solve the viewing problem.
I am trying to tell you guys this kit is better than OEM, and it's in Gloss black, for the Vivid black owners such as myself, and it blends with the bike. Someone here sent me the info and I did the same and bam, never looked back, couldn't be happier... I can finally watch my 6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat View Post
Hi! My name is Paul and I'm a noob. I had never owned nor ridden a Harley nor any other kind of motorcycle outside the MSF course until I picked up my 2016 xg750 last weekend. That was probably a mistake as it hurts more to drop a new bike instead of a used one, but here I am.

Riding a motorcycle wasn't anything I gave any serious consideration to until a couple of years ago. I split my time between a job site in central Iowa and a home I own near family 170 miles to the southwest. My two old cars were having the wheels run off of them and some financial setbacks had me questioning whether I could finance a replacement car. I took the MSF course late in 2015 and set aside enough cash for either a used bike or as down payment for a used car.

Things worked out for the car, but almost two years later and I was still running the wheels off of one old car and one not quite new car. Something had to give. I had continued to pick up riding gear when I found it cheap and looked into small motorcycles and maxi scooters for my commute.

Last spring I wandered into Loess Hills H-D and they showed me a new xg750. My daily commute plus some errands while I'm working is about 40 miles a day, mostly over paved, lightly traveled county roads and state highways. A few times a year it would be nice to make the trip down to the house on the bike instead of in the car, which can also be done on state highways. The xg750 seemed about right, or at least the best fit for my needs that H-D offered.

It was still there in December and Karl was making a good deal on the now NOS bike. I took it home on Saturday and ran up 25 miles on paved county roads. This weekend I'm going to try and go another 40-80 miles on country roads, some city streets, and maybe even a bit of four lane highway riding.

Early mods to the bike have been:
  • The tallboy seat. I'm only 5'11", but fat. The extra padding is enough to make the stock seat a bit cramped.
  • Engine guards to well, protect the engine when I drop it or even have a low speed accident. Maybe I'll add highway pegs down the line, but not right now.
  • Saddle bags will provide the same modest protection to the rear half of the bike. Instead of the H-D saddle bags I bought a pair of Stansport throw over saddle bags. A set of saree guards like come on the Indian produced bikes keeps the soft bags out of the rear wheel and provides something to tie the bags to.

I need to figure out something on replacement mirrors as well. I'm sure there are multiple threads on this site with suggestions on how to get a better view behind.
Krator mirror adaptors, end of story... If I need to do a write up and step by step I will, just for everyone here on the forums... The manufacturer does not give instructions either, so mechanical ability is a must...

Or you can do the new open ended grips from HD, and use the bar end mirrors like everyone else is doing...

2001 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja (RIP)
2016 Harley Davidson Street 750 (modded)

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (10 sec baby)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (High 12 tugboat)
post #9 of 19 Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
OK, we get it. Somewhere in the 20 Amazon pages of Krator and Kapsco Moto is some set of inexpensive mirrors that is the absolute best thing available for.... no reason given. You also think we're unable to figure out how to remove and replace the mirrors. Geez! No need to be a dick about it.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
...I order a pair of aftermarket 7" direct replacement mirrors in black from Loess Hills H-D.There is a 7" stem version in the 2017 H-D parts catalog but they are appx $35.00 a piece compared to $35.00 for the pair of aftermarket ones.
I should pick up my aftermarket 2" extensions today from Zylstra in Ames. They cost a little bit of nothing so are worth a try as a cheap fix.

I think the extensions will have me looking at my shoulder instead of my elbow, so I ordered the H-D 7" mirrors from Surdyke as a backup plan. They sell H-D parts at a discounted price.

I'm certainly not married to the idea of keeping everything genuine H-D, but in this case it was something quick to go to that should fit right out of the box.
SgtTDC likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page