LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cool Hello from Paterson NJ.

New rider here, (1 yr), street 750, learning every day. nice bike, perfect for beginners like myself.
chadwilliam1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome and i am also 1 yr in with the street 750 from south jersey and 1 yr as beginner rider. I agree its a great bike for beginners (have just gone over 5000 miles). The only issue I have is the lack of ABS and having to be more careful with sudden stops.
jortor likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!

I'm another new rider starting out on the xg750. I'm planning on using it as my main commuting vehicle in central Iowa. It's still a tad cool and rainy here for that, but it's something to aspire to.
jortor likes this.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750

post #4 of 8 Old 04-06-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I got a couple questions, not sure where to to place them on this forum, but I'll here first. would you put bar mirrors on this bike? also what exhaust should i swith to, to make it sound louder/better?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't have much experience with par mirrors, i fixed the poor mirror placement by getting both the HD extended mirrors and mirror extension kit. This solution gave me excellent rear view seeing. However, others may have less expensive solutions.

Regarding exhaust - i went with adding the slip on HD screamin eagle exhaust which definitely improves the sound - more of a low rumble and reasonably louder. However ,V&H slipon exhaust i hear provides a louder sound. In my case, i had to still be careful not making bike too loud as i live in a tightly packed residential area.
jortor likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-07-2017, 05:01 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
The stock mirrors seem to be the #2 complaint of most people around here. Complaint #1 seems to be that these bikes don't sound like other Harleys.

Like jiprovi, I fixed the poor mirror placement by getting both the H-D extended mirrors (7" stems instead of 4") and a "Brand X", 2" straight mirror extension kit that. This solution allows me to see something besides my sleeves, but still not great. I think long stem mirrors which push the mirrors out about half a mirror width help more than the added elevation from the extension. I'll have to try without the extensions sometime soon.

I've dropped my bike a few times doing stupid noob stuff, so I am glad that I didn't jump right on bar end mirrors. I would have broken them off by now. That and the H-D parts are rather expensive to begin with. They should give you an unobstructed view.
jortor likes this.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #7 of 8 Old 04-07-2017, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Bar end mirrors were a must for me because the stock mirrors were crap and looked too out of place in my opinion. As far as an exhaust.... If you are on a budget just run poor man pipes and take the baffle out of the exhaust. That's what I did... Lol. It's plenty loud now for my taste. If you want a real aftermarket slip on that gives you that real LOUD sound go to tuffside.com/ here's a link to their exhaust: https://www.tuffside.com/Street-500-...-xgmuffler.htm

It is $289.95, so a little cheaper than you will find other exhaust like the mainstream v&h slip on. V&H exhaust is okay... But, to me, it sounds like the pipe just enhances the sewing machine sound of the bike... And I wasn't looking for a louder pissed off sewing machine. The exhaust I have linked above is short/stubby pipe that is hand made in California. I am on track to purchase it myself when I acquire some more money. I highly recommend that exhaust if you want a truly loud pipe... Which some people may not want.

Happy riding brother.
jortor likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2017, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The excellent bike for beginners!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page