2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-05-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nice to meet everyone

I am new to this forum–and have only recently returned to motorcycles after a 22 year hiatus (kids, career, life, and stuff). Bought a 2017 XG 750 about three weeks ago, and am loving everything associated with having a motorcycle. Sure, I also have trouble finding neutral, the bike stalled once, and I have to purposely move my arm to make the mirrors "work", but all of these things disappear on that long, curvy, stoplight-free road to Orchard Beach when it's just me and the bike. I am so glad to be back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-05-2017, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum , sounds a lot like me only I was off the bikes longer than that . Since May I have logged 5000 miles on my XG 750 & have enjoyed it more than I expected I would ! A set of Krator mirror extenders from Amazon will fix the mirror problems . Always when parking the bike put it into first gear & roll it forward so the bike can not roll off the side stand . Easy way to find neutral is reach down with left hand bring the shift lever up one . As far as shifting going down the road you may need to adjust your shift linkage , my shift lever was to low when I got the bike .
Petcha2 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-05-2017, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome back! After college I also went away from having a bike for the same reasons you cited, though I missed having a bike for 3 decades or so, until I got my 750 back in April. 1600 miles later, I love every minute riding my bike at 6:30 am when I have the road all to myself and before the summer Florida sun makes it a less pleasant experience. I made some changes like installing longer mirrors, a Firebrand Loose Cannon exhaust, a polycarbonate windscreen and a Wisamic LED headlight. Now I have the perfect bike, and I can't seem to get off of it.

Don't worry, neutral gets easier to find over time, especially after you break it in and change to synthetic oil. Happy riding!
Petcha2 likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-05-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Good tips, all. Thanks. Are the Krator mirror extenders relatively straightforward/easy to install?
post #5 of 7 Old 08-05-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not sure about the Krators, from the photos thought they look weird. Instead I bought these, a bit more expensive but they look much better...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031707UM
post #6 of 7 Old 08-07-2017, 02:24 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums, Petcha2!

The mirrors are probably one of the most common complaints on these bikes. Right now I'm using the long stem mirrors from H-D. They are OK, but not as good as with the extenders. They move the outboard edge of the mirrors an inch and a half or more towards the bar ends without raising them up at all. Probably using them with extenders would be the best option.

Gaijin has a good thread on installing the Krator extensions: Solved! Mirrors perfected. I've got these, but haven't installed them. That's probably a project for an upcoming evening.

Initially I used some Drag Specialties extenders that raised the mirrors a couple of inches, but didn't move them outboard at all. This helped, especially in conjunction with the long stem mirrors. Both of them broke after a few months, so I'm not going to recommend them.

There are a lot of postings about neutral being hard to find, especially on brand new bikes. I think I've would up in neutral on more missed shifts than intentional attempts to find it. It doesn't help that the neutral light sometimes has a delay before it comes on and sometimes does not come on at all.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #7 of 7 Old 08-07-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Have ordered the Krator extenders. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page