Just picked up my first Harley (500) - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-15-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking Just picked up my first Harley (500)

Hey just bought my first Harley (500 2016 to be specific), and Im definitely happy to join a community thats all about the HD Street!

A little background about myself, first time buying a motorcycle. Im currently deployed, so I got the HD from factory for a great price (in my opinion) for 4,600 before reg and tax. I actually saved a lot more for my first HD, but I was happy overall with the type of HD, the price, and as well as the options/mods Ive seen on the internet. Im hoping to do make some small changes as soon as I return and to pick up the HD.

Im open to hearing everyones opinion on very specific modifications that should be added that will first protect myself and the HD too. Glad to be here and I plan to stay as active as I can.

LUFA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2017, 01:29 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

That was indeed a good price. I'm looking forward to the day when I only owe that much on my 2016 xg750. It's a lot further away than I would like.

The first thing that I would recommend is doing something about the mirrors, unless you really enjoy looing up your own sleeves. There is much written about that here, but the most popular solution seems to be the Krator mirror extensions. Solved! Mirrors perfected is a thread that details their installation.

I use the H-D long stem mirrors which will also improve your view, but not quite as much cost several times as much. Combine the two and you get almost a panoramic rear view.

You didn't say anything about your riding experience. This was my first bike of any kind, and I dropped it at a standstill twice. A set of engine guards saved the day. Best Engine Guard Kit? is a thread that mentions several options. A couple pages into that thread there is much said about some simple bolt on rods that do double duty as engine guards and highway pegs. I'm seriously thinking about changing to those.

I threw a couple of cheap saddlebags on mine, mostly to protect the bike in case of a drop. Viking and a few other outfits make bags, most of which I like more than the H-D bags. Initially I used the saree guards used on the bikes built in India as saddle bag supports and some Stansport canvas saddlebags.

Seats are an easy change, and necessary if you are particularly tall or short. If you are over 5'10" plan on getting the tall boy seat. There are some nice aftermarket seats out there as well.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #3 of 6 Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugslyCat View Post
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

That was indeed a good price. I'm looking forward to the day when I only owe that much on my 2016 xg750. It's a lot further away than I would like.

The first thing that I would recommend is doing something about the mirrors, unless you really enjoy looing up your own sleeves. There is much written about that here, but the most popular solution seems to be the Krator mirror extensions. Solved! Mirrors perfected is a thread that details their installation.

I use the H-D long stem mirrors which will also improve your view, but not quite as much cost several times as much. Combine the two and you get almost a panoramic rear view.

You didn't say anything about your riding experience. This was my first bike of any kind, and I dropped it at a standstill twice. A set of engine guards saved the day. Best Engine Guard Kit? is a thread that mentions several options. A couple pages into that thread there is much said about some simple bolt on rods that do double duty as engine guards and highway pegs. I'm seriously thinking about changing to those.

I threw a couple of cheap saddlebags on mine, mostly to protect the bike in case of a drop. Viking and a few other outfits make bags, most of which I like more than the H-D bags. Initially I used the saree guards used on the bikes built in India as saddle bag supports and some Stansport canvas saddlebags.

Seats are an easy change, and necessary if you are particularly tall or short. If you are over 5'10" plan on getting the tall boy seat. There are some nice aftermarket seats out there as well.

I have no experience, and I am told this is a great HD to start with. An engine guard is exactly what im looking for, I just didn't know what the proper terminology for it was, so thank yo I have seen many reviews on the mirrors just not being good enough. The link for other alternatives was really helpful. What would you recommend for tool kits for DIYu. repairs and regular maintenance.

Last edited by LUFA; 09-18-2017 at 03:53 AM.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Engine guards/crash bars out are handy things to have in some instances. They really only protect the bike when at a stand still or low speed, but I suspect that is when new riders are going to have the most problems. They can be ripped right off in a higher speed crash.

I had two stupid newbie bike drops that they would have helped with. The first was a low speed stall while turning into my sloping driveway. I stopped and fell over like the tricycle on Laugh-In. That was actually before the guards were on, but fortunately the bike fell onto a soft object - me. The other incident, possibly the weekend the engine guards went on, was my forgetting to lower the kick stand when dismounting the bike and walking off. Like I said, stupid stuff.

Engine guards are also handy for mounting such things as highway pegs or auxiliary driving lights.

One drawback of engine guards, at least on these bikes, is that they use the same lower engine mount bolts as the aftermarket forward control kits that I've seen. For now, I've chosen to keep the engine guards than the forward controls. That may change as I grow more confident.

I can't really answer the tools question as I haven't done any maintenance on the bike myself. I've got a free tires deal at my chapel which is dependent upon them doing the scheduled maintenance. I won't do much of my own work until that runs out.

For mods to the bike I have used sets of metric combination wrenches, metric sockets, Torx head sockets, and a few screw drivers. Lots of bolts need blue Loctite or other thread locking compound on them.

I really need the wrench to set the rear shock pre-load. Apparently there is a similar "universal" wrench which isn't. In some threads the wrench is listed as 14900048 or 14900048A, but I'm not finding that part number when I search online.

For your own routine maintenance I think you will need a spark plug wrench, torque wrench, check belt tension gauge, oil filter wrench, and one of those fancy funnels to prevent oil from getting all over your bike. Everybody else should feel free to chime in with some other must haves.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #5 of 6 Old 09-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUFA View Post
I have no experience, and I am told this is a great HD to start with.
If it helps, I'd concur -- the Street 500 is far and away the best Harley a new learner could choose to ride on. It's small, it's lightweight, it's very maneuverable, and the power is good without being such a handful that it'll get you in trouble. If you're a new rider and wanted to start on an HD, this is the very best choice you could have made. Welcome to the family!
post #6 of 6 Old 09-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Go on eBay and get the service manuals on CD for $15. Will save you a lot of time, treasure, and frustration.

"Life is like a grindstone - it'll polish you up or grind you down, depending on what you're made of" - Unknown

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page