Long time rider, time for something different. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Inkythe750

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-29-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Long time rider, time for something different.

Been riding pretty much all my life (35 years or so) have ridden pretty much any make out there from Kawasaki, BMW, Buell other Harley's my last bike was a 06 C50 Boulevard. Due to health issues at my young age the Boulevard was a beautiful and fun bike how I had it set up but in town it was like trying to herd around a big bagger Harley, not much fun when you have a bad hip and the condition I suffer from. I sold the Boulevard to a friend wanting to take a step up from her Shadow 500 that was beginning to show it's age and she wanted something more comfortable for long distance so off it went. I had all but decided to give up riding for good, when I decided to take the Street 750 for a quick spin. It had been a while since I had ridden a smaller lighter bike with some pep. Got back made the deal and she came home the next morning. I'm now the proud new owner of a 2017 Street 750. I really wanted the Street Rod but right now with a fairly new vehicle on a disabled man's income the extra few grand between the two broke the deal. I have the Denim Black paint on mine and I'm loving it so far except for a few minor issues.

I put on the up and out mirror extenders that should be on the bike from the factory. I'm close to six foot so all I could see was shoulders. The $20 Kractor extenders didn't he trick.

Had a heck of a time sorting out why I could hardly get it into first fear while rolling or from.a dead stop even when rocking the bike, and feeling the clutch. I knew of the sticky neutral issue but if you had ridden my old Savage that had a nasty neutral that was prone to pop into gear at a light by itself once launching the bike out from under me at the amusement of the cagers around me. Had to adjust the clutch Freeplay a bit tighter than the quarter trick to see to settle it down.

I'm not liking the high non adjustable idle, 1350-1400 is going to take some time to get used to. Apparently HD had to fix it make it non adjustable for emissions. But I'll get used to it.

And today it sprang a fairly serious oil/ antifreeze leak. Rear jug by the cam tensioner was a bit wet so i took off the front belt cover and was amazed at the mess. It's going in next week for an inspection and repair.

Other than that I'm really loving the bike. I forgot how much fun a seasoned rider can have on a smaller lighter bike. For what I want it for, running to the gym, therapy and in town riding, with the occasional jump out the county roads for some fun in the twisties. 200 miles on it already and I have rubbed the pegs a few times in corners.

Right now no real modifications planned. No funds to really don't right now. Just time to ride it and enjoy it. I'd eventually want to do intake and exhaust which requires the chip tune. Christmas will be the Alarm for it since it will be parked at the gym quite a bit. Eventually a seat. Why is it so hard to make a decent seats on any bike these days. I'm going to modify an old XR1200 wind shield to fit it or trade someone for one that actually fits and looks decent.

Anyway looking forward to the fun in the forum, been lurking for a long while, so let the fun begin.

-Inky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170928_164242_1506665666097.jpg (122.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1506665791842_1506665807004.jpg (198.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20170928_164237_1506665825519.jpg (158.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20170928_164247_1506665988234.jpg (177.1 KB, 22 views)
Solo750owner and KillerDad like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike. I also have a 2017 XG750 with around 2,000 miles on it. I love it, despite the salespeople at the dealership telling me that I'd want to upgrade to "a real Harley" in no time. My reply was always that I already had a big, heavy lumbering vehicle (my car) and that I didn't need another one. So far I'm very happy with it, no plans to upgrade.

Too bad about the leakage; it's very strange that it's both oil AND coolant. Weird! Hope you get it fixed soon, ride on!
post #3 of 9 Old 09-30-2017, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats on the new bike, I have a 2015 Street 750 with over 25,500 miles on my black pearl. Today I finally flashed the ECM with a Fuel Pack 3. Still getting 50-55 mpg. I use my 750 to commute to work weather permitting. Like you I was pestered about getting a bigger ride. No thanks, I prefer my nimble ride that can share the garage with my auto. I have a K&N drop in air filter and a Firebrand Loose Cannon with a DQ baffle. Your 2017 has a tach and gear indicator on the speedometer which is not an option on my 2015. The best place to scrap your left side peg is in a round about. lol

post #4 of 9 Old 10-01-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think that's where I rubbed it. Our town is getting more and more of them and they live to raise the inner island a few inches making an odd off camber edge that I always scraped my Boulevards boards going thru. Had fun had some GMan magnesium pucks in place of the wear pins and lived to scare cagers behind me throwing Sparks in a corner. Got in a bit of trouble with them and removed them to avoid possibly starting a wildfire on a ride in the summer.

I'll miss the bigger bikes but for how I get to ride anymore the Street is perfect. I can hop on wheel out around my Dad's big Road Glide no more shuffling bikes to just get mine out. And I can have fun bopping around town on a 250 pound lighter bike with a bit more HP.

I do love the Tach/ Gear indicator on the Speedo. Helps keep me in check and below the 5000 rpm break in recommendation. I usually run on the trip meter but for in town I can keep my milage in my head as I know it's 11 miles to the gym, and 27 to my Doctor's. Lol.

Bike goes in Wednesday, I'll be out of town so my Dad's riding it over and will air there for the hour while they look it over and put the dye in the oil. I'm just hoping the coolant just dropped a bit as it's breaking in, and didn't look at it too close after I bought it. Oil still looks good and is still right at full, just noted the coolant was a bit low. So will wait till I hear what's up. They have offered if it is major to buy back and get me on a 18 model, or a discount on the Street Rod. But I want my payments to remain the same. So I'll give them the opportunity to repair it. Just sucks it's it got 200 miles and it's leaking.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, Inky!

I guess that my experience is unusual in that nobody has really bothered me about getting something bigger. I just point out that I wanted a small bike for the fuel economy.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750
post #6 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Everyone I've came across loves the fact I found something to keep riding. My aunt loves the flat black. Sure I probably could of got a better deal on a Bolt, or other bike, but the Street just fit me perfectly. Light and agile and different. I did tell Harley to install the alarm when it's in the shop for the leak, and it sounds like they may just give me it for the troubles. Will see. I figured where I park it at my local Y when I'm in swimming it will still only keep honest people honest but it's better than nothing. I'll be on pins and needles till this spring when I can get more time in, I'll.ride a few times this winter if the roads are clear, but around hear they love sand, and I've slid thru a few too many corners with my butt seeing button holes in the see to wait till spring. lol
post #7 of 9 Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My Dealer just called me. They cleaned up the oil mess and took it for a quick ride. Came back oil all over. So they put it on the Dyno so they could watch it and found the head gasket to be good but the cam tensioner is bad, casting flaw so it's leaking...but that's not it. While it was on the Dyno my water pump also has a small flaw so it was spraying coolant everywhere so it was indeed a oil and coolant leak. Parts on order so no bike for 10-15 days but I'm across the state for a while so they are just keeping the bike till parts show up. They will also totally go thru the bike while it's there verifying everything else is in order. Will also receive credit towards either the alarm or the tail rack for having issues so early.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Leo
Banned

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkythe750 View Post
My Dealer just called me. They cleaned up the oil mess and took it for a quick ride. Came back oil all over. So they put it on the Dyno so they could watch it and found the head gasket to be good but the cam tensioner is bad, casting flaw so it's leaking...but that's not it. While it was on the Dyno my water pump also has a small flaw so it was spraying coolant everywhere so it was indeed a oil and coolant leak. Parts on order so no bike for 10-15 days but I'm across the state for a while so they are just keeping the bike till parts show up. They will also totally go thru the bike while it's there verifying everything else is in order. Will also receive credit towards either the alarm or the tail rack for having issues so early.
Oh well, things happen, but you have it at the right place for the proper repair.
Good luck

Last edited by Leo; 10-05-2017 at 06:33 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-21-2017, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got the bike back yesterday, so far so good. Braved the cold a bit and the impending storm and rode it 45 miles, the long way home and no leaks. Sadly this storm is going to last a few days so hopefully next week I can get another ride in.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page