• 1 Post By tsts4

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Returning to riding in VA

Hi I am returning to riding after 30+ years. I grew up riding Honda Rebel and Yamaha FZ700. I was in Air Force and came to DC for duty assignment. I met my wife here and when I transferred my license I let my “M” endorsement go, because I never in my wildest dreams did I ever think she would support me riding. Fast forward 22 years and life changes, and after a few trips to Bermuda and riding on the back of a scooter, she allowed me to take MSF course this weekend. I have my endorsement back and am working with the H-D dealer on the buying process for a new ‘19 750 or a pre owned ‘17 or later. Will keep you posted on what I get. My plan is 750 as a beautiful starter until I trade to a street glide in the future. This forum is great and I have learned a lot from reading past posts. If anyone has any buyer advice (negotiation hints or how to get a good deal) I would appreciate any PM or reply to this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! I was out of riding for about 12 years and got the bug again this summer. The deal was sealed when my wife decided to take advantage of a Vet's promo (we're both retired USAF) that HD was running for HD Rider's Academy and got her endorsement in August through Patriot HD (Fairfax). We turned around and bought her a 2016 Street 750 from Quantico HD (we live in Dumfries--Montclair). I was still without a bike and not in position to buy what I really want (a 2018 or newer Softail Slim) so I opted to buy a 2015 Vulcan S from Classic Iron down in Fredericksburg ( classiciron.com/ , huge selection of used Harleys) as an interim bike so we could get out riding together before the weather gets too bad-- we're both having a blast!
Yellohj likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-04-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsts4 View Post
Welcome! I was out of riding for about 12 years and got the bug again this summer. The deal was sealed when my wife decided to take advantage of a Vet's promo (we're both retired USAF) that HD was running for HD Rider's Academy and got her endorsement in August through Patriot HD (Fairfax). We turned around and bought her a 2016 Street 750 from Quantico HD (we live in Dumfries--Montclair). I was still without a bike and not in position to buy what I really want (a 2018 or newer Softail Slim) so I opted to buy a 2015 Vulcan S from Classic Iron down in Fredericksburg ( classiciron.com/ , huge selection of used Harleys) as an interim bike so we could get out riding together before the weather gets too bad-- we're both having a blast!

Tsts4,
What is your riding situation now? The recall has stopped me from buying the Street 750, and so I have driven the sport glide and that probably what I will get, since Freedom Promise is not allowed in Virginia. How do you like the Vulcan S? I looked at the Slim, but to add 2 up, ABS, and by the time I do it is the cost of sport glide. Sport glide also has cruise control, ABS standard, and I have great deal in the works. I am working out the Stage 1 details V&H or screamin eagle or my deal would be done already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Welcome and good luck. New game out there on the road today. People on the phone, computer, GPS many stoned on of their minds .
post #5 of 7 Old 03-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
Welcome and good luck. New game out there on the road today. People on the phone, computer, GPS many stoned on of their minds .
Headless cars can't get here fast enough. Imagine if all the cars were on a networked grid. A car could communicate to the 20 cars ahead of it that a motorcycle is splitting. They could part the seas.

No more distracted drivers rear ending and killing motorcyclists in stop-n-go traffic.

No more road rage.

Etc. Etc.

Humans aren't really "driving" here anymore. They are goofing with their phones/email/video entertainment while they swerve all over the road and sometimes bump into each other.

All I can say is never be directly behind a car. Always be at an offset to one side or the other of the car in front of you. Especially when stopping. When sitting in a light always study your rear view mirrors to determine if the approaching car is actually going to stop. If you are first at the light and sitting there, jumping off your bike and abandoning it is sometimes the only option. If there's cars in front of you that's perfect. You can always sneak between them so one of the cars gets rear ended in stead of you. "Don't be the meat in that sandwich"
post #6 of 7 Old 03-07-2019, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquiddog2 View Post
Headless cars can't get here fast enough. Imagine if all the cars were on a networked grid. A car could communicate to the 20 cars ahead of it that a motorcycle is splitting. They could part the seas.

No more distracted drivers rear ending and killing motorcyclists in stop-n-go traffic.

No more road rage.

Etc. Etc.

Humans aren't really "driving" here anymore. They are goofing with their phones/email/video entertainment while they swerve all over the road and sometimes bump into each other.

All I can say is never be directly behind a car. Always be at an offset to one side or the other of the car in front of you. Especially when stopping. When sitting in a light always study your rear view mirrors to determine if the approaching car is actually going to stop. If you are first at the light and sitting there, jumping off your bike and abandoning it is sometimes the only option. If there's cars in front of you that's perfect. You can always sneak between them so one of the cars gets rear ended in stead of you. "Don't be the meat in that sandwich"

Sounds like slavery to me get in shut up government is driving. Better idea smoke pot while driving 20 years in jail no discounts on the time. Same drinking and driving. An app for that all phone disabled when in a car except 911.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquiddog2 View Post
I remain convinced that autonomous vehicles are all a bunch of hype to get us to buy into transportation as a service instead of vehicle ownership. Eventually AV's will get to the point that they can handle the best, well marked roads as long as they don't have to deal with human driven vehicles. The solution will be to ban human drivers from the best roads so that the AV's can use them.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page