Hello from Sunny San Diego, CA - New Street 500 here - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By PugslyCat01
  • 1 Post By PugslyCat01

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-25-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello from Sunny San Diego, CA - New Street 500 here

HI All, I am a new rider and proud new owner of a 2017 HD Street 500. I am a sponge just soaking up all the info I can about riding and this new to me bike. I am not your typical rider, and my family thinks I am nuts, but they know me well enough and just shake their heads saying - there she goes again - crazy old bat. I am looking to add crash bars and hoping to get some recommendations - go with the Harley part or something different. See you all around. Cheers - Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-25-2018, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, Kat! XG500 here too. I'm up in the IE. SoCal is a great place to own a bike.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-25-2018, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your ride....

post #4 of 8 Old 01-02-2019, 05:51 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, Kat! My family thought I was crazy starting to ride in my early 50's.

The first accessory for my bike was a cheap set of engine guards. They were TCMT brand purchased off Amazon. They have done the job well, but they have some size and shape issues that are preventing me from installing highway pegs. The finish was flaking when I took them out of the box, but they got a little scraped up in two parking lot drops anyway.

I bought some "crash rods" from another member. These are basically rods that come straight out from the frame and double as highway pegs. They aren't adjustable and they don't fold away like normal pegs. The guy I got them from seemed to like them, but I haven't installed them so can't say.

The other thing I added right away were some cheap throw over saddlebags in which I carried empty gallon water bottles. These were basically bumpers to protect the back half of the bike in the aforementioned parking lot drops.
chabro and KatSails like this.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
hi PugslyCat - Thanks for the tips. I have order those engine guards all ready - should be here in about a week. I have saddlebags but these are too nice to scuff up, so I am working hard to keep the bike vertical. I am looking to add a windshield for some planned longer rides, a new seat and a luggage system so I can tie down an backpack or bag. Open to all suggestions. Riding is going great so far, I did a 56 mile round trip with a friend who has a road glide, we cruise up the coast yesterday and it was awesome. Me and this bike are really good together.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-30-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The range on my 500 is great. I’ve gotten 150 miles out of a tank. I ride frequently on a highway where the speed limit is 80. In a headwind that’s about the max speed of this bike. I stay in the right lane and go 70. Really at 80+ this bike had such a short wheelbase it feels jittery anyway. A windshield is a must for the highway.

It’ll do it. Enjoy!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2019, 01:16 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquiddog2 View Post
The range on my 500 is great. Iíve gotten 150 miles out of a tank.
Fuel economy on my 750 has been highly variable. Running on the interstate in high winds, heavily loaded, in a high drag configuration, have displaying great disdain for posted speed limits I've had the fuel light come on at 100 miles. Quietly cruising back roads I've gone 140 miles before the light comes on. This summer I'm really tempted to see if I can't get 175 miles out of a tank. I've already got the can for emergency gas, just in case.
Quote:
I ride frequently on a highway where the speed limit is 80. In a headwind thatís about the max speed of this bike.
My daily commute is about 20 miles of rural interstate highway. In Iowa that's a 70mph speed limit, which the bike does comfortably. I've accidentally found myself doing 80, but anything above that you really have to work for.
Quote:
A windshield is a must for the highway.
That was my initial impression, but last summer I took it off and adapted pretty quickly, at least for my commute. It's probably a good idea for longer rides at highway speed, though.
Quote:
Itíll do it. Enjoy!
Many people seem to underestimate these bikes. I think that's due to the displacement arms race going on between manufacturers. They seem to think that you can't get past the city limit sign with anything less than a 103, which is just shy of 1,700cc.

As an example, last August I was chatting with a millennial sport bike rider at a demo days event for another brand. I mentioned buying a Sportster 1200 Custom to be more comfortable on weekend trips between central and southwest Iowa. Some guy at the neighboring table stands up and announces to the whole room that you can't do that on a Sportster. I'd done it half a dozen times on the xg750.

When I was a kid, a CB350 was considered a decent enough bike for scooting around town and local commuting. If you had a 500-600cc bike you could really go places!
KatSails likes this.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
post #8 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
hi from italy, enjoy your street...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page