Are the 2016 street 750’s brakes still an issue? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By coguy
  • 1 Post By Botty
  • 1 Post By Propnut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-22-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Are the 2016 street 750’s brakes still an issue?

I just bought a 2016 street 750 that has 56 miles on it from a dealer. The recall has been completed but does that recall address the poor braking performance associated with the XG models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-22-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I thought they'd sorted it out by 2016, and it was only the 14 -15 years that were affected.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-22-2019, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Phil 13 is correct - here is a clip from the web:

By the end of 2015, new range of Street 750 was made available in the market. New bikes had 300 mm single disc with 34 mm dual pistons in the front and rear, a new aluminium master cylinder and improved brake lines. On top of that, they also get optional ABS. Old Street 750 did not have the option of ABS. Some dealers in India retrofit the braking updates on the old 2014 and 2015 model Street 750 at a cost of INR 40,000.

There was a lot of bad publicity about the Streets when they first came out but I think the majority of the issues initially highlighted were addressed.

We are just waiting for the recall now

Botty

post #4 of 10 Old 02-22-2019, 02:40 PM

Location: I split my time between rural central Iowa and rural southwest Iowa
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
There have been a couple of different issues:

• The model year 2015 bikes used undersized brakes. These were replaced by slightly larger brakes from 2016 on.
  • ABS was unavailable for the first couple of years. I think it became an option in 2017.
  • I had read in a long lost thread on this forum that the bikes built in India for domestic sales had inferior brake pads, at least in early production.
  • There has continued to be a lot of chatter about the single disc front brake from reviewers. Others think a single disc is appropriate for a bike no heavier and no powerful than it is.
  • There is currently a recall for all Street family bikes for a problem with the brake calipers. The brake caliper cylinder bore may corrode and cause the piston to hang up when applying or releasing the brakes. This is most common when operating or storing the bike in corrosive conditions. Most of us have interpreted that as winter operation on salted roads or exposure to sea air. Repair kits are expected to come out in April.

Formerly known as "PugslyCat" until the account got locked.
2016 xg750 in Velocity Red
2007 Sportster 1200 Custom in blue and silver
post #5 of 10 Old 04-26-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghpilot View Post
I just bought a 2016 street 750 that has 56 miles on it from a dealer. The recall has been completed but does that recall address the poor braking performance associated with the XG models?
I have a 2016 XG 750. I've never had any problems with the brakes. I think they work quite well.
8831lee likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-26-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I just had the recall done on mine as well but that addressed a separate issue associated with the caliper pistons. The front brake on my 2016 worked really well I hope it still does after the recall service, I pick it up tomorrow.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I am waiting on my recall now as well to be finished. I think the brakes work great so I am confused on this issue?? I did however ride a new Street Bob the other day and the brakes were not even close to what I have on my Street..
post #8 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Having never owned a Street Rod I can only comment on the XG750 but for those of you who think the brakes on these bikes are not good then perhaps you may want to read my thoughts for what it is worth.

I think, and sorry in advance if I offend anyone but this is the way life is today, some people simply have no idea what they are talking about but are happy to voice an opinion and others then share it - they read in the media or are sometimes are even just told that the brakes on the XG750 are rubbish and they then take this as gospel! My bike, which has not yet had the recall work done has pretty good brakes for the speed it is capable of doing - and I am not one that cruises about the countryside at 50 mph! As most of you are aware motorcycle manufacturers have to pretty well jump through hoops to get permission to sell bikes in some countries and for anyone who simply rides a bike to suggest that the brakes are not suitable for the bike is simply living with their heads in the clouds. When the testers, who write this dribble in the media, state that the brakes are not good they are perhaps comparing them to 750 sports bikes with twin and much larger discs - the XG750 does not have brakes on a par with these bikes - it does not have to! I have owned many bikes and rode about fifty times that many and can say that there are some bikes out there on which the brakes do not appear to be as 'sharp' as on others but providing the brakes are set up correctly they have all managed to stop me from substantial speeds well within safe braking distances - the proof of this is that I am here typing this! If you feel the brakes are not adequate for your riding style then perhaps it may be time to consider why you choose to ride in the way you do and if you want better performing brakes then yes, you can pay to upgrade them but the brakes on this bike perform exactly as they should. If your brakes are not performing as you think they might then I would suggest that you get a trained mechanic to have a look at them and also to possibly consider if they could have been contaminated with anything.

Still not convinced? Ask your HD dealer if you can have a test ride on an 883 and test the brakes out on that - then come back and suggest that the brakes are better than on the XG750.
8831lee likes this.

Botty
post #9 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Well my 2015 750 is bike eleven and my first H-D, the largest being my trusty Suzuki 850G shaft drive. Before the H-D I rode a Kawasaki KLE 500 which I found to be a balanced city bike as urban riding is my main forte. The reason for trading in the Kawasaki was due to my feet getting shorter from the ground, so stopping always had my bum moving to one side on the saddle. The brakes on the KLE required you to ride within your limits and that of the road at all times. Of all the bikes I have owned these were ones that required your attention at all times.

Recently on the Street I had an approaching car turn in front of me at a late stage. I applied both brakes hard so that front tire squeal was heard. It was a close call, but that has been the only "emergency" stop I have been required to do on the Street and the brakes performed well. Yes they could have been better. My Suzuki twice as heavy would have stopped in a shorter distance, but then bigger dual front disks do make a difference.

The 2014-2015 Street 750 did not have brakes to rave about, just look through these forums, and some requested that H-D should have had a recall for safety. To this day I am sure that the early brake issue on the Street resulted in the improved brakes on the 2016 models. The Street Rod is in another category, so I will not comment on that bike.

Ride safe all, I still try to, more than 50 years after getting my license.
8831lee likes this.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #10 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have had a street 750 and now I have the street rod I think on both bikes the brakes are more than enough but I have been one of the unlucky ones to have had the corrosion in the brake calipers! Front and rear I have had 5 new calipers across both bikes I am just happy they are being recalled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page