Street 500 owner from Illinois or should I say Chicagoland. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-02-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Street500owner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Street 500 owner from Illinois or should I say Chicagoland.

Tomorrow I pick up my new Street 500, I will be the second person in the state of Illinois to own one. Both of these motorcycles were bought at Fox Valley Harley-Davidson dealer and they now have only one street 750 for sale.

I will give a full report on the street 500 and why I bought it, and not the motorcycle of my choosing.

A little bit of information so far, both of these motorcycles have been bought by men and not women. Soon as I sat on the street 500 it was so comfortable I looked at the salesman and said: "I'll take it!"
HarleyVest and Sherri like this.

Last edited by Street500owner2; 07-02-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Street500owner2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Congrats! What color did you get and what color was the 750 that they had?
Neezie is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Street500owner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezie View Post
Congrats! What color did you get and what color was the 750 that they had?
They only had the glossy black in stock so that's what I got.
750 is also a glossy black and the last time I was there on Wednesday it was not sold as of yet.
HarleyVest likes this.
Street500owner2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 07-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Livin On's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Curious why you went with the 500 over the 750, price gap is next to nothing for the larger Street...

Anyways welcome to the show, I believe you're going to be our first American 500 owner!
Sherri likes this.

Last edited by Livin On; 07-03-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Livin On is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 07-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
 
HarleyVest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street500owner2 View Post
They only had the glossy black in stock so that's what I got.
750 is also a glossy black and the last time I was there on Wednesday it was not sold as of yet.
Congrats and welcome!

Do you have any pictures to share with us

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
HarleyVest is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 07-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyVest View Post
Congrats and welcome!

Do you have any pictures to share with us
x2 i'm also in for pictures.



harleyhoonigan is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 07-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Congrats! I am surprised they sold you the bike. My understanding is the dealerships are not suppose to sell them until after the annual dealer show which is over the Labor day weekend. Nevertheless, I can't wait to see you on your bike.
ColoHarleyGirl is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Street500owner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
Curious why you went with the 500 over the 750, price gap is next to nothing for the larger Street...

Anyways welcome to the show, I believe you're going to be our first American 500 owner!
Picked up the Street 500 today at the dealer and I must say it has more than enough throttle to spare @ 55-mph. Great take off that it makes me wonder why someone would want more HP. Iím just being honest hereÖthis Street 500 is fast, but then again how fast do you really need to go before you get a ticket? NO THANKSÖ Iíll stick to the speed limit or flow of traffic and that is something it does in spades very easily.

I have already put 34 miles on the Street 500 so far and I think that if you have always wanted a Harley Davison and could not afford one in the past, then this motorcycle just may be the ticket. With the money I saved by not buying the Street 750 I can now invest in saddlebags and some other accessories too. Very happy with my decision on this one! But then again each to his or her own and I think either motorcycle will be a right decision for its buyer. However, in my honest opinion, this is not for beginners but for someone that has some miles under their belt, but then again thatís just me and my judgment. This Street 500 is just too beautiful of a machine to lie down because of inexperience.

I have a sharp S-curve by my house and my Vespa GTS would handle it pretty good but would sometimes have a little troubles at higher speeds with that curve going into and out of it at times; this HD Street 500 does it without breaking a sweat. Everyone says how nimble scooters are but I must admit this Street 500 trumps scooters for handling and maneuverability. Itís not as nimble but the Street 500 will do sharp turns very easy without the rider thinking about what theyíre doing.

The 480 lbs of the Street 500 compared to the 350 lbs of my Vespa became a no issue when it became time to move the motorcycle by hand in the garage. I do a lot of in town riding so for me a light and responsive motorcycle was top priority on my list. This Street fits the bill!

Just some info: Before I decided on the HD Street I was looking for a new Vespa motorcycle/scooter. So lets look at things in perspective here, a new Vespa GTS 300 will run you $6300 USD and/or a GTV 300 will set you back for about $7199 USD. Made up of a lot of plastic and the seat @ 31" is too high for most riders so this does not appeal to a lot of women. OrÖ you can own a Harley Davison Street 500 with a 25" seat cheaper than a GTV Vespa (which is the one I was looking at) and is made up of all steel Ö and itís cheaper, did I say that already?

No matter which Street you buy, the 500 or 750, for some it will be the end of the road and others it will be just another stepping stone in the motorcycle world. For me, it is a keeper and I will have this one until I canít ride anymore. FYI Iím 60 years old.

Thanks everyone for the warm friendly welcome to this forum and will get photos tomorrow and more updates as time goes on. Cheers!
HarleyVest and Sherri like this.
Street500owner2 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Livin On's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street500owner2 View Post
Picked up the Street 500 today at the dealer and I must say it has more than enough throttle to spare @ 55-mph. Great take off that it makes me wonder why someone would want more HP. Iím just being honest hereÖthis Street 500 is fast, but then again how fast do you really need to go before you get a ticket? NO THANKSÖ Iíll stick to the speed limit or flow of traffic and that is something it does in spades very easily.

I have already put 34 miles on the Street 500 so far and I think that if you have always wanted a Harley Davison and could not afford one in the past, then this motorcycle just may be the ticket. With the money I saved by not buying the Street 750 I can now invest in saddlebags and some other accessories too. Very happy with my decision on this one! But then again each to his or her own and I think either motorcycle will be a right decision for its buyer. However, in my honest opinion, this is not for beginners but for someone that has some miles under their belt, but then again thatís just me and my judgment. This Street 500 is just too beautiful of a machine to lie down because of inexperience.

I have a sharp S-curve by my house and my Vespa GTS would handle it pretty good but would sometimes have a little troubles at higher speeds with that curve going into and out of it at times; this HD Street 500 does it without breaking a sweat. Everyone says how nimble scooters are but I must admit this Street 500 trumps scooters for handling and maneuverability. Itís not as nimble but the Street 500 will do sharp turns very easy without the rider thinking about what theyíre doing.

The 480 lbs of the Street 500 compared to the 350 lbs of my Vespa became a no issue when it became time to move the motorcycle by hand in the garage. I do a lot of in town riding so for me a light and responsive motorcycle was top priority on my list. This Street fits the bill!

Just some info: Before I decided on the HD Street I was looking for a new Vespa motorcycle/scooter. So lets look at things in perspective here, a new Vespa GTS 300 will run you $6300 USD and/or a GTV 300 will set you back for about $7199 USD. Made up of a lot of plastic and the seat @ 31" is too high for most riders so this does not appeal to a lot of women. OrÖ you can own a Harley Davison Street 500 with a 25" seat cheaper than a GTV Vespa (which is the one I was looking at) and is made up of all steel Ö and itís cheaper, did I say that already?

No matter which Street you buy, the 500 or 750, for some it will be the end of the road and others it will be just another stepping stone in the motorcycle world. For me, it is a keeper and I will have this one until I canít ride anymore. FYI Iím 60 years old.

Thanks everyone for the warm friendly welcome to this forum and will get photos tomorrow and more updates as time goes on. Cheers!
Remember slow in fast out, Twist of the Wrist naturally

The second bolded is a GREAT point, to be honest I have no clue what scooters sell for but always assumed people rode them out of cost considerations, better on fuel cheaper on insurance, lower purchase price. But JEEEZ $7K for a Scoot, I mean that's nearly Monster money and more expensive than a CB/R 500...

Get some pics up when you can
Livin On is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 07-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
that's some serious dedication to keep this bike till retirement, good to hear that!



harleyhoonigan is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indian Street 750 Owner(about to own 1) rahulja New Members Introduction 7 08-09-2014 02:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome