Welcome to Harley Davidson Street forums! - Page 9 - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 86 Old 12-18-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut View Post
Is the American version of the H-D Street not made locally in the States? I know that the European and Asian markets are all supplied from the plant in India. Sad to read that you have bought a bad build, as since 2015 I have only had happy times. Yes the fuel pump was an issue and the brakes are not the best, but I still find it to be the Urban Warrior that it was advertised as.

The USA Street Models are now made in York, PA. While the very first models suffered from a few quality issues (e.g., brakes, wiring, headset bearings) the issues were quickly addressed. Later models have very good fit and finish and are on par with the two 600/650 metric bikes in my garage. I have only read of two engine failures - One was due to massive abuse and the other was due to lack of oil. On the other hand I have read of many riders putting lots of miles on these bikes with no issues at all.

My 2017 XG750A Street Rod has very good fit and finish and is on par with any bike at the same price. I have read of Yamaha FZ/MT bikes suffering from rust issues so these may be even better. While paint is not on par with HD's bigger bikes the Street Models are just fine.

The only complaint I have is that these bikes are a bit heavy and don't have a lot of HD accessories...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4119 (Large).JPG (261.6 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 86 Old 12-19-2019, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
The brakes for me on the 2915 have never been a real issue. I traded in a Kawasaki KLE500 on the Street 750, legs getting shorter as I get older! The KLE500 also has not the best brakes around, so I was always aware of the braking limitations and ride within the bikes braking abilities.

Wiring was sloppy but has not been an issue with me. However, the real issue I did have was with the headset bearings. I have had to have the headset bearings replaced, at my cost, after riding became hair-raising to say the least. The mechanic showed me the rusted remains that he pulled out, not pretty.

Although my bike did go in for the factory recall on the fuel pump assembly replacement I cannot remember ever falling victim to the "lag and leap" issue that led to the recall.
VortecCPI likes this.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #83 of 86 Old 12-19-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut View Post
The brakes for me on the 2915 have never been a real issue. I traded in a Kawasaki KLE500 on the Street 750, legs getting shorter as I get older! The KLE500 also has not the best brakes around, so I was always aware of the braking limitations and ride within the bikes braking abilities.

Wiring was sloppy but has not been an issue with me. However, the real issue I did have was with the headset bearings. I have had to have the headset bearings replaced, at my cost, after riding became hair-raising to say the least. The mechanic showed me the rusted remains that he pulled out, not pretty.

Although my bike did go in for the factory recall on the fuel pump assembly replacement I cannot remember ever falling victim to the "lag and leap" issue that led to the recall.

Most all MC headset bearings are susceptible to failure if not properly maintained and often exposed to water, especially from power washers. My wife's 2013 FLS Softail Slim needed new headset bearings due to lack of proper lubing.

Brakes on initial models were awful and there are plenty of reviews that make this problem clear. Some reviewers even called the front brake "dangerous". The rear brake master cylinder reservoir was too close to the exhaust and could also become an issue. All of these early issues were quickly resolved.

Brakes on XG750A Street Rod are very good in my opinion. I never need more than one finger up front and rear needs a good amount of input prior to lockup unlike other bikes.

Moto Guzzi V7 III bikes are similar in price and power and quality is about the same.

post #84 of 86 Old 01-07-2020, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hi everyone,

After 2 years commuting in a 125cc scooter, I decided it was time to upgrade in style, so I got a good deal out of an ebay auction and went for a full A licence.
A much happier rider now I must say.

Cheers...
T-BoneSteve likes this.

2016 Street 750

V&H High Velocity Intake
V&H Exhaust Comp Series
V&H Fuel Pack 3
Bar End Mirrors
post #85 of 86 Old 01-07-2020, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Congratulations! It looks like your Street is already modified nicely.

I can't quite see the color on your avatar picture - is it black?

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo View Post
Hi everyone,

After 2 years commuting in a 125cc scooter, I decided it was time to upgrade in style, so I got a good deal out of an ebay auction and went for a full A licence.
A much happier rider now I must say.

Cheers...
post #86 of 86 Old 01-07-2020, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you, yes it's black.
Cheers.

2016 Street 750

V&H High Velocity Intake
V&H Exhaust Comp Series