• 1 Post By HDGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-08-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello

Hello everyone. This is actually my second post, but here is my introduction. I consider myself a new rider since my last time on a bike was over 30 years ago (yes, I am old). When the Street bikes were first announced, I went from wanting a Street 750 very badly to thinking about the 883 to the 1200 Custom (people tell me I am too big for the 750 - 6'1" about 270 pounds). My Rider's Edge class is this week, so this will give me the opportunity to see how I feel about it. I love the blacked out look (my brother-in-law spent a good bit of money to make his Street Glide chrome free), the ground clearance, the price. I'm a little bothered with the lack of ABS brakes, and the scarcity of accessories; but after looking around this site, am feeling better about those possibilities.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and plan to spend a lot of time on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall238 View Post
When the Street bikes were first announced, I went from wanting a Street 750 very badly to thinking about the 883 to the 1200 Custom (people tell me I am too big for the 750 - 6'1" about 270 pounds). My Rider's Edge class is this week, so this will give me the opportunity to see how I feel about it.

Welcome aboard first of all.

Assuming you'll be riding a Street 500 on your Rider's Edge class you will have an excellent opportunity to try out the Street. Except for the power difference, which really doesn't matter for most normal riding, there isn't any difference between the Street 500 and Street 750.

There is a huge difference between the Street and the Sportster though as they are completely different mototcycles. It isn't the power or displacement but instead it's the size and geometry of the motorcycles.

I don't believe your physical body size matters one way or the other when it comes to a Street or Sportster but instead it's more of the fact that a Sportster is a beast when compare to the Street. The Sportster has a much higher CG, weighs a lot more, and a "rougher" running engine (i.e. more inherent vibration).

I won't classify one as "better handling" but instead that they're different handling motorcycles. I believe the Street is easier to handle for a "newer" rider than the Sportster personally as it felt more nimble to me when compared to my Sportster (a 2007 XL50) and simply felt easier to ride. I will alsos note that my Street 750 is as fast or faster than my 1200cc XL50 so the extra 450cc doesn't make a difference per se because of the 100 lb difference in the weight of the two motorcycles.

In any case I don't believe your size matters one way or the other. The Street isn't a small motorcycle by any means. It will be your choice based upon what you want in the way of a motorcycle. I would think, given that you haven't ridden in years, that you might find the Street to be more suited to your riding needs of today than the much heavier Sportster but test ride both.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-09-2014, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!
StoneFree likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page