Newbie from SouthEast Kansas! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-13-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Newbie from SouthEast Kansas!

Hello

I just finished the MSF Beginner Riders Course on the Street 500 and I am looking at getting a Street 750, but of course the dealer sold the one they had!

I really liked the sitting position of the Street but wish I had tried the TallBoy seat. I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam but would like to be a little farther back and from the pegs.

Excited to be here!

brian
jenh010112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-13-2014, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Welcome Brian, being new to riding why the 750 Vs. the 500? The 500 will give you years of enjoyment without the fear of too much bike, too soon, risk. Being new, a 750 may be too overpowering for your skill level and that may get you into trouble.

Here’s what I’m saying, if you get the 500 now by the time it’s paid off you’ll be looking for bigger and better down the road anyway. A 500 will meet 99% of your needs anyway as a newbie and both bikes look almost exactly the same anyway. That 750 @ almost 55-hp is a little much for someone that doesn’t have the skill level yet! Just food for thought. Ride safe!
post #3 of 11 Old 10-13-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I talked in depth with my Riding Coach and he suggested the 750 or the 500, plus I am a big guy!

post #4 of 11 Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by belrix View Post
Hello

I just finished the MSF Beginner Riders Course on the Street 500 and I am looking at getting a Street 750, but of course the dealer sold the one they had!

I really liked the sitting position of the Street but wish I had tried the TallBoy seat. I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam but would like to be a little farther back and from the pegs.

Excited to be here!

brian
Hi Brian, Welcome, I too took my beginner course on the 500. I am a shorty, so what I did was have them to put in my contract that I could trade stock seat for a reduced seat at no extra cost. They have them at the school anyway so they can pull you one if they want to make the sale. I selected to get the 750 so I can have something to grow into instead of something to grow out of.

If you have not tried the tall boy seat, go back to the dealership and try it, like I said, they have them at the school, they may have to make arrangement to bring one to the stealership for you, but dont settle for less, know how it feels before you buy.

Safe riding when you get your bike.

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"
post #5 of 11 Old 10-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome aboard.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-14-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!
post #7 of 11 Old 10-14-2014, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm a fairly new rider as well, bought the 500, been having a blast. No issues getting up to speed and maintaining it on the highway. After my first month, I still have no desire for more power, I feel like I'll have the 500 for a couple of yrs before I reassess. To each his own though, know your own capabilities and get what you want!
StoneFree likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New rider here as well. I have the 750 with both seats. I'm 6'1 so the tallboy is good but the regular seat is more comfortable for longer rides.
StoneFree likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input everybody, I really appreciate it!

I am going to swing by the dealership and test ride one of the training 500's with a TallBoy seat and must likely order my 750!!!

..if work stops getting in the way

belrix
post #10 of 11 Old 10-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley920 View Post
I'm a fairly new rider as well, bought the 500, been having a blast. No issues getting up to speed and maintaining it on the highway. After my first month, I still have no desire for more power, I feel like I'll have the 500 for a couple of yrs before I reassess. To each his own though, know your own capabilities and get what you want!
"Get what you want."

Bingo, we have a winner.

You might just find the Street 500 is all you'll ever really need. It is an exceptional motorcycle with more than adequate power and performance. You're riding needs will dictate whether you stick with it or change to something else in the future. Of be like many others in the Harley family and just keep adding to your collection of motorcycles (i.e. if there's room in the garage you need another motorcycle, if not you need a bigger garage). LOL

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page