Exhausts: LAMS, Compliance, The Police, Aus - NSW - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exhausts: LAMS, Compliance, The Police, Aus - NSW

Hi All

Before I go on, I understand that anything discussed here is used at my own risk, but....

What's the consensus on non-standard exhausts on our 500s here in NSW Australia, with regard to being a learner licensed rider?
Has anyone had any experience with the Police (RBTs for example) and has anyone ridden a 'modified' 500 while undertaking their riding exam?

I have the SE Nightstick and on occasion I remove the end cap and rings.

I think I could probably answer my own question based on past experience with my driver's license many, many years ago, but I ask because the bike sounds and feels so much better when I ride without the end cap. It's hardly the loudest thing to belt round my area or where I ride (heaps of bigger Harleys and high end street bikes) and I'm sure I'm more visible to others due to the sound it puts out (as a safety aspect). But I wonder if I'm being paranoid and whether anyone (esp Police) would really notice?

What would happen if it was decided by the Police, that it's too loud? I think I read somewhere it would be a defect and my L's would be suspended?

Thanks

500-FTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-23-2016, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Unsure what you are asking, (but it is Sunday morning.)
The SE Nightstick on the Street 500 with no caps is not very loud (compared to almost everything) and is how mine is set up.
Don't stress about it. Yes it is louder than the sewing machine sound it did have but it's only pumping out 500cc of air compared to other HD. It might sound meaty in the garage but out on the road it's miniscule.
Powerwise, LAMS I think is max 140kW/tonne, a lot more mods other than changing the exhaust is needed for the Street 500 to reach anywhere near this limit. ( standard 25kW / 230 kg = approx. 108kW/t)
If you do get picked up, talk nice, don't give attitude, ( yes officer, sorry officer, I didn't know that officer).
But my feeling is, compared to what is out there you are nowhere near licence endangering.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-23-2016, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry missed that Q on first reading.
My wife did her licence ( and passed) here in QLD on the Street 500 with the SE slip-on.
The instructors complimented her on the bike and said they were impressed with the note of the exhaust.

Not too loud, to be annoying to the rider and others but loud enough to be heard.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-26-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey Eggy

Thanks heaps. I've chilled out about it. Even riding around, there's plenty of bikes that pass me that just roar compared to my bike. And now that I'm moving up in terms of speed, I'm finding the wind is louder - although that doesn't effect everyone around me.
Just needed to hear it from someone like you with more experience but the same gear.

Thanks again

500-FTW

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page