New rider purchased 750 street few questions! :D - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 05-12-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New rider purchased 750 street few questions! :D

I purchased a 2016 HD 750 Street the other day and have been riding for a few days now! First id like to say I love this bike, I feel like it's perfect for new riders! I had a few questions as a new rider..

1.Will this bike be good for long rides? They pushed it as an Urban bike but I feel like I would love to just cruise for hours. May even go visit other state.

2. What should my mirrors be showing? I feel like i'm having difficult seeing behind me. My left mirror always shows my arm and right mirror I need to drop my arm a bit to see behind me. I have adjusted and just can't find that happy medium. Should I buy those small circle mirrors to put at the top corners of them? I'm just trying to be safe!

I'm taking the safety course soon so hopefully they will be able to help me with adjustment if needed, or I may just to upgrade them.

3. Break in period, as a new rider and purchasing a 2016 bike this section of the manual scared the **** out of me. Now I haven't really been "riding it hard" just normal don't recall going over 65-70. I'm at about 52 miles now, just not sure I ever went over 4000RPM. How crucial is this? I obviously don't want to ruin my new engine!

Thank you all for your help! I'm pretty excited and am having a blast!! I'm glad I made the purchase!
sharkbaitgirl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-12-2016, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
I bought mine used after its break-in period, so I wasn't given any advice on that. And I'm not that savvy.

The mirrors are crap. I kept mine because I'm small and they're manageable along with bar end mirrors I've added. You should probably just replace or at the very least get extenders.

I have no trouble highway riding mine. The most I've put into one day is about 400 miles. I had no issues. She loves to cruise about 74 mph and most of my rides are actually on the highway. I plan on taking mine on a multi-state vacation this fall even. I have another bike I commute with, but have just recently begun using this bike for work, and I'm loving that, too. It's great all around.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone else will answer about the breaking-in period for you.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackit View Post
I purchased a 2016 HD 750 Street the other day and have been riding for a few days now! First id like to say I love this bike, I feel like it's perfect for new riders! I had a few questions as a new rider..

1.Will this bike be good for long rides? They pushed it as an Urban bike but I feel like I would love to just cruise for hours. May even go visit other state.

2. What should my mirrors be showing? I feel like i'm having difficult seeing behind me. My left mirror always shows my arm and right mirror I need to drop my arm a bit to see behind me. I have adjusted and just can't find that happy medium. Should I buy those small circle mirrors to put at the top corners of them? I'm just trying to be safe!

I'm taking the safety course soon so hopefully they will be able to help me with adjustment if needed, or I may just to upgrade them.

3. Break in period, as a new rider and purchasing a 2016 bike this section of the manual scared the **** out of me. Now I haven't really been "riding it hard" just normal don't recall going over 65-70. I'm at about 52 miles now, just not sure I ever went over 4000RPM. How crucial is this? I obviously don't want to ruin my new engine!

Thank you all for your help! I'm pretty excited and am having a blast!! I'm glad I made the purchase!
Congrats and welcome....

Don't stress over the owner's manual....those are just words to the wise....just don't run the pee out of the bike before breaking it in....some people hop right on their bikes and start revving and racing the piss out of it......I rode it home for my wife when we bought hers with 3 or 4 miles on it....I was doing 75 on the freeway...no big deal.....I didn't red line or rev it....just rode it like a normal person would.....700+ miles later it's still running like new....

The mirrors.....if you can't see behind you....get different mirrors or ask the dealer for help finding mirror extensions at their parts department.....when I rode her bike home...it was like I was riding blind......I could only see my chest and shoulders......not fun....

The Street is a fun bike....no, it's not like a big ass touring bike but you can make it just as comfortable and add mods to it like bags, windshields and stuff like that that all the bigger bikes have.....

The more I ride her bike, the more I'm liking it...it's really nimble and has the pep to get up and go.....definitely a fun bike....

Current rides:

2016 Softail Slim S Olive Gold Denim

2016 Street 750 Vivid Black

1998 Honda Aero Black/Silver

post #4 of 32 Old 05-12-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone for the replies so far! I'm glad to hear i'll be able to make longer trips with my bike! That's something i'm really looking forward to. Most people say "It's not the bike it's the rider." So if I can handle sitting for hours than all will be good! I'm just really excited to finally have a motorcycle! So I want to be able to explore all kinds of different options.

I'll be heading down to the dealership this weekend. I need to get my shocks adjusted a bit and i'll get those mirror extensions or new mirrors one.

Thanks again!
sharkbaitgirl likes this.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-12-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I stressed with the first 500 miles, and only to find out I stressed for no reason. Just vary the speed, not staying too long in one speed or gear and you will be fine. I followed the manual shifting like it said:

@15mph go to 2,
@ 25mph go to 3,
@ 35mph go to 4,
@45mph go to 5,
@55 go to 6.

Then practice down shifting while decelerating:
@50 down to 5
@40 down to 4
@30 down to 3
@20 down to 2
then down to 1

Dont hot rod it, dont accellerate hard until the bike is warm, and if you just ride normal you will be fine. Once I hit 500 I took a road trip from Bryan College Station to Austin and loved every bit of it! Bike is great, has the power to move, and is very nimble. Only I did have a problem keeping up with the Father in Law's vette.

Relax, the bike is awesome. Enjoy and congrats!
ThreeXchamps likes this.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-12-2016, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
IMHO....the bike doesn't have to be babied to the extent of causing paranoia that your going to kill it.....maybe the very first year of a bike or vehicle, there are bugs....but this bike has been out over 2 years now.......to put something out on the floor to sell to the public that they have to treat it like an newly born infant is ridiculous....and....doesn't look very good for the company that is the most notable bike manufacturer in the world....they put those words in the manual to cover their ass.....in case some ding dong buys one and blows it up leaving the parking lot or on his way home riding like a douche......

When I threw a leg over it, giggled....the salesman told me I had to be gentle like a lamb with it until after 1000 miles....I looked at him and told him thanks and took off like I normally would.....the bike made it home!!!!!!! LOL!!!! And my wife enjoys riding it almost everyday......don't stress Brackit.....just enjoy it......

Current rides:

2016 Softail Slim S Olive Gold Denim

2016 Street 750 Vivid Black

1998 Honda Aero Black/Silver
post #7 of 32 Old 05-12-2016, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackit View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies so far! I'm glad to hear i'll be able to make longer trips with my bike! That's something i'm really looking forward to. Most people say "It's not the bike it's the rider." So if I can handle sitting for hours than all will be good! I'm just really excited to finally have a motorcycle! So I want to be able to explore all kinds of different options.

I'll be heading down to the dealership this weekend. I need to get my shocks adjusted a bit and i'll get those mirror extensions or new mirrors one.

Thanks again!
I should note that I do have a windshield. I take it as a given, but realize a lot of us do not. I would think for any lengthy highway use, you would want one.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-12-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Awesome replies everyone! Really helpful! I looked for a used bike for quite awhile before settling on a new 2016. They were all in the same price range. I'm happy with my purchase though! I'll look into a Windshield though! But first I want to get those mirrors taken care of. Not being able to see behind me is pretty **** scary. haha
post #9 of 32 Old 05-15-2016, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
To "fix" the rear view visibility, with the mirrors ADD the HD Mirror Extenders PLUS change the stock mirrors out to the HD Tribal Mirrors. Trust me, it will make a world of difference, and you'll love the look of the Tribal Mirrors.

Lots of other HD Tribal accessories then, that you can add later ..............Tribal Foot Pegs, Tribal Brake Pad, etc.

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)
post #10 of 32 Old 05-15-2016, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The bike is fine on long range rides,At least for me at 5 foot 8

The mirrors should show the lane next to you and half the lane behind you.Factory ones work great for me.

AT break in I would avoid riding at the same speed for long periods of time such as over 7 miles or more.I would not stress too much about it though.
Happy riding
StoneFree likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page