LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-19-2016, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Gas tank pressure valve?

I just picked up my Street 750 a couple days ago, first bike I've ever owned. So to put that into context I know next to nothing about motorcycles outside of what the MSF course teaches. The bike got delivered, I went outside to start it up and give it a go, being new and everything I was checking everything out to make sure there wasn't any problems. I went to open the gas tank to verify that there was enough fuel in there to ride around, next thing i know it basically exploded and covered me and the wife in about two bucks of gas. Naturally I was a bit irritated and perturbed about this so I called the maintenance people at the dealership, they told me that there is a valve on the gas cap that is supposed to let over-pressurized gas vapor escape the tank and that mine might be broken. My question would be is there any truth to this, sounds convincing to me; but then again, he could have told me an alien was shaking my gas tank last night and I wouldn't have any experience to really call him out. I posted this in a different section, but I figured I should post it here too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-19-2016, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know man that seems messed up to me unless you opened it while it was running if it was off something is $#%^@) up!!

Ride Safe Be Safe!
post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2016, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yeah, the bike was definitely off. I don't know if the mechanics are full of it. I looked online and there is nothing to lead me to believe there is a valve in the gas cap.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2016, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
That sounds like some BS to me never heard of something like that or had it happen to me! good luck buddy I'll let you know if I find anything out but it will be a few days will ask around about that #@%!!!

Ride Safe Be Safe!
post #5 of 5 Old 06-19-2016, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
If the bike (engine) was "hot", and there was a reasonable amount of fuel in the tank, AND, you released the cap and took it off "fast" .............."yes" it probably blew back some fuel.

In the future, when removing the cap, just loosen it slightly, and SLOWLY turn it off ..............You'll never have that problem again

I hate autocorrect. I always end up posting some thong I didn't Nintendo.

2015 XG750 Street - Denim Black (Sold)
2010 Suzuki C50T
2007 Kawasaki KLXs (Sold in 2010)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page