LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-10-2018, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Newbie Questions

So I'm not new to motorcycles but I am new to the Harley Davidson and the Street line. I have a couple of questions that I probably already know the answer to but confirmation from a guru would make me feel better.

1. The Clutch - coming from sport bikes(Triumph Speed Four) the clutch on the 750 has a lot a travel before it begins to engage. Is this something I need to learn to live with or can it be adjusted to be a little more progressive?

2. Washing the bike - my last bike I just hosed off with soap and water, blew dry with a blower, shined the exhaust and maybe put a little wax on the tank. I have project bike I'm working on(80 Yamaha XS650) that I attempted to wash the same way and I fried the ignition unit which has made me a little leery of just hosing the bike down.

Other than those 2 questions I love the bike, I've put about 60 miles on it since I picked it up last night.

-Clyde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
The clutch travel is just something you will have to get used to. It is possible to adjust it a bit, but it was basically designed like that. The washing part is interesting. You may have noticed that there are lots of exposed wires and electrical components/connectors. I basically covered most of those up with a cable cover. It makes the overall appearance cleaner and it is a bit more protected from dirt and water. Of course you dont want to point your hose and running water on those weak parts. After I got my bike I added a K&N air filter and that is exposed as well - just an area to avoid. Ride safe!
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
Don't use a Pressure Washer. I use a Makita 18v Cordless Shop Blower to dry my 18 1200 off. Never had a problem. You can use standard Automotive Wax. Mine gets done with Meguiars Cleaner Wax.. Sometimes their Gold Class. Cleaner Wax works on the chrome. I find its quicker.

You Might want to have your Clutch checked for Adjustment just to be safe. I've seen New models on the Sales Floor with loose "Finger Nuts"

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200

Last edited by Tucsonmax1; 07-12-2018 at 08:11 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2018, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Yes definitely dont use a pressure washer! Just mild soap will do. I use car soap and then bow off the water with a yard blower.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2018, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
just got my bike, before i went into washing, I remove the seat, found the Heart(ecu) is right at the seat. what worries me is there are 2 holes that i can see the tires next to the ECU, which am certain if go thru wet road, surely the water will sip in. I use Gorilla Tape to cover the hole but notice on side (fender i think) there are still prone to water coming in. That I have not figure out how to close it up.

Use Meguiar's polish and follow by Meguiar's ultimate wax for that shine.... than i realized my mistakes as could be too excited. as its a used bike with 12,000 mileage on it. forgot to clay bar it...will clay it in the next 3 months time for a better shine.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-2018, 11:07 PM

Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Garage
I've used a car wash pressure washer but I have the spray nozzle 3 feet away from the motorcycle when I wash and rinse the bike. But that is me. I have been caught in heavy down pours a couple times since owning my Street for the last 4 years. Never had any issues other that the way the wiring harness was arranged on the bike itself. I live with it.
Propnut, smitty901 and PugslyCat01 like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-03-2018, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Always keep pressure washer a few feet back on any bike. To much pressure will mess up the radiator fins. After the bike is washed and dry hit it with a light mist of Pig Spit the engine and everything will look great . As for the clutch it is what it is. There is no clutch adjustment . Only the cable is adjusted and that is not a clutch adjustment.
Do not use wax if you have the flat paint !
Ridden mine in the rain a lot even in snow it has not had any issues yet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page