Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Stage 1 upgrade

19K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  MZBKA 
#1 ·
Hi all. Sorry for the silly question — I’m new to all of this!

I’d like to do a stage one upgrade to my 2019 Street 750. I plan on installing the Screamin’ Eagle muffler and air intake....but if I do this I have to recalibrate the fuel. So I planned on buying the SE Street Tuner, which seems easy enough to use.

However, when I was talking to some guys at the HD dealership, they said that — in addition — I’d have to bring in the bike to have the fuel calibrated. Is this right? Can’t I do a stage one upgrade on my own? Why do I need to buy the Street Tuner if I need to bring the bike in for calibration anyways?

Thanks in advance for any help or clarification!

#2 ·
#8 ·
HD will want you to take your bike into them as they can then charge you the earth for tuning it. In reality they can do no more than you would be likely to do with a tuner you can buy.

I fitted the Screamin Eagle air filter (which by the way is manufactured by K&N) and a Loose Cannon GP exhaust (which sounds the dogs b0ll0cks!) and I auto tuned it with an FP3. The bike purrs lovely at tickover and runs like a dream!

One thing to consider, if you are tuning it yourself and a fault later develops with the bike which means you have to return to your dealer, the dealer will be able to tell that you have altered the ECU map and may well try to get out of any warranty claim by suggesting that by altering the map you may have contributed to the problem!

Personally I do servicing etc on my 2018 machine myself so it was not a consideration for me ;)

#9 ·
Stage one upgrade is simple and you can safe a bundle by doing it yourself. Most folks here use the V&H tuner - it is simple to use and has a variety of other settings and readings that are done through your smart phone. The bike will run without the tuning, but for peak performance you should flash the re-calibration to the computer one way or the other. Ride safe and wear a helmet.

#10 ·
I am trying to be objective and unbiased but I have to say Vance & Hines support was over the top in my case. The Product Manager himself made available for me two maps specific to my components. One is an on-road map that has nice smooth power delivery and one is an off-road flat dirt track map that has abrupt and crazy midrange power. Both maps work amazingly well and got way more power out of my XG750A Street Rod.

If you do happen to choose Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 you will NOT be disappointed!

Attachments

#13 ·
Perhaps this comment from the article:

"None of that’s going to do you any good without the H-D Stage 1 ECM recalibration, which my local Orange County, CA, dealers will do for around $200. There are other ways to do it than the H-D service department, but none are less expensive and most will void your warranty."

#15 ·
I am amazed at that - in the wrong hands a tuner can have an adverse effect on the engine. Having said that the warranty period of a HD is 24 months, any problems that are created by incorrect tuning will likely take longer than that to show up so I guess they are not stupid eh ;)

I opted for the FP3 because I liked the additional features that you can see while you are riding. Am pleased with mine.

Good luck with your tuning, I hope it goes well.

#16 ·
I am amazed at that - in the wrong hands a tuner can have an adverse effect on the engine. Having said that the warranty period of a HD is 24 months, any problems that are created by incorrect tuning will likely take longer than that to show up so I guess they are not stupid eh ;)

I opted for the FP3 because I liked the additional features that you can see while you are riding. Am pleased with mine.

Good luck with your tuning, I hope it goes well.
Thanks! It'd be pretty terrible if I couldn't handle a Stage 1 upgrade ;)

What modifications have you made to your bike that have required tuning?

#17 ·
I changed the exhaust and the air filter. I am pretty certain that the engine would have run smooth without a tune if I had just changed the exhaust as the sensors would have compensated for the minor differences but when I changed the air filter too I would not have been happy running it without a tune.
I have read on loads of sites about the lean running of HD engines from the factory and also wanted to change that which, as you know, cant be done without a tuner.

I tuned mine using the 'auto-tune' facility as I personally believe that an engine will never operate in the 'near perfect' conditions that a dyno facility has to offer.

I really am a 'happy bunny' as to how smooth mine sounds at tickover and at all rpm ranges and as I said previously with the FP3 I like to have my phone connected while riding in order to see things like temp, tacho, mpg, voltage and the 'eco-light' come on now and again!

I am also pretty confident that if a fault code were to appear that I could now trace and clear it without HD's monkeys intervention ;)

#18 ·
I have the Screaming Eagle Pro Super Tuner on my 2015 XG750, FIREBRAND Loose Cannon Slip-On Exhaust and K&N Aircharger That's Also Stage 1.

Reactions: Propnut
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.