6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stage 1 upgrade

Hi all. Sorry for the silly question Im new to all of this!

Id like to do a stage one upgrade to my 2019 Street 750. I plan on installing the Screamin Eagle muffler and air intake....but if I do this I have to recalibrate the fuel. So I planned on buying the SE Street Tuner, which seems easy enough to use.

However, when I was talking to some guys at the HD dealership, they said that in addition Id have to bring in the bike to have the fuel calibrated. Is this right? Cant I do a stage one upgrade on my own? Why do I need to buy the Street Tuner if I need to bring the bike in for calibration anyways?

Thanks in advance for any help or clarification!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-04-2019, 04:51 PM

No problem changing exhaust with stock ECU but if you change the intake you will likely have to tune it. I believe the only way to keep your warranty in tact is to use all HD SE products. If so that may be your only choice.

I just hope you get better results than this: https://www.motorcycle.com/products/...h-d-street-750

You may want to ask you question here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/HDStreetOwners
post #3 of 18 Old 11-04-2019, 04:54 PM

For comparison here is a dyno sheet for XG750A Street Rod.

The green lines are for V&H High Output pipe, V&H VO2 intake, and V&H FP3.
Attached Images
File Type: png OEM vs. V&H HO, VO2, FP3.png (102.3 KB, 5 views)

post #4 of 18 Old 11-04-2019, 04:55 PM

Here is another XG750A dyno sheet from S&S.

My point is that if done properly exhaust + intake + tuner should get you a lot more power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dyno-street-rod-stealth-w-grand-national.jpg (86.9 KB, 6 views)
post #5 of 18 Old 11-04-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the replies! My question is really: MUST I bring the bike to the dealership to tune? Or can I tune the bike myself using the Screamin' Eagle Street Tuner?
post #6 of 18 Old 11-04-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBKA View Post
Thank you for the replies! My question is really: MUST I bring the bike to the dealership to tune? Or can I tune the bike myself using the Screamin' Eagle Street Tuner?
I guess I should have answered that! If you have all the HD SE Pro Tuner hardware and software you can add HD's Stage I tune yourself. I came across a video a while back so I will try to find it for you...

Last edited by VortecCPI; 11-04-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-04-2019, 07:07 PM

I will also add that if you are not committed to HD SE Pro Tuner Dynojet Power Vision and Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 are good alternatives. I just installed a Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 on my 2017 XG750A Street Rod and it only took a few minutes with a cell phone.
SgtTDC likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
HD will want you to take your bike into them as they can then charge you the earth for tuning it. In reality they can do no more than you would be likely to do with a tuner you can buy.

I fitted the Screamin Eagle air filter (which by the way is manufactured by K&N) and a Loose Cannon GP exhaust (which sounds the dogs b0ll0cks!) and I auto tuned it with an FP3. The bike purrs lovely at tickover and runs like a dream!

One thing to consider, if you are tuning it yourself and a fault later develops with the bike which means you have to return to your dealer, the dealer will be able to tell that you have altered the ECU map and may well try to get out of any warranty claim by suggesting that by altering the map you may have contributed to the problem!

Personally I do servicing etc on my 2018 machine myself so it was not a consideration for me
VortecCPI likes this.

Botty
post #9 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Stage one upgrade is simple and you can safe a bundle by doing it yourself. Most folks here use the V&H tuner - it is simple to use and has a variety of other settings and readings that are done through your smart phone. The bike will run without the tuning, but for peak performance you should flash the re-calibration to the computer one way or the other. Ride safe and wear a helmet.
SgtTDC and VortecCPI like this.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-05-2019, 07:48 AM

I am trying to be objective and unbiased but I have to say Vance & Hines support was over the top in my case. The Product Manager himself made available for me two maps specific to my components. One is an on-road map that has nice smooth power delivery and one is an off-road flat dirt track map that has abrupt and crazy midrange power. Both maps work amazingly well and got way more power out of my XG750A Street Rod.

If you do happen to choose Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 you will NOT be disappointed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4119 (Large).JPG (261.6 KB, 5 views)