Took a beginner's class this weekend and now I don't want a bike. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
webertiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Took a beginner's class this weekend and now I don't want a bike.

I need a bike. There's a 500 in a dealership near me. Maybe it should be mine.
webertiger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Street500owner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Just took my street 500 out today and put 50 miles on it, buy it and you'll never look back with regrets. Don't let anybody convince you it doesn't have any power, be in the right gear at the right time and it will throw you back in the seat.
StoneFree likes this.
Street500owner2 is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webertiger View Post
I need a bike. There's a 500 in a dealership near me. Maybe it should be mine.
I know this is and Street forum but test ride a Dyna/Softail cruiser and the Fat Bob, particularly, if you're considering an H-D.

The forward controls make the seating position very comfortable (for me, at least, at 6 feet tall).

The bike handles surprising well and you may not even notice the extra weight.

Gear changes are very smooth.

But... most of all... it's torque of the 103 cu. in. engine that makes riding easier and enjoyable! There is a lot of range in each gear and you can shift when it's more convenient. It's actually a lot harder to learn on a bike that requires more work.

Finally, driving experience actually matters the most because, on a bike, you have to predict bad traffic situations. That, more than anything, will keep you safe.
HockeyCoach is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I just witnessed a new rider on a brand new Vrod. It was way too much bike for him. He high sided the bike on the median within 10 minutes of ownership. Not pretty. Lesson learned is buy a bike you can handle and move up with experience. Maybe a Dyna/Softail is right for you but be absolutely sure before spending that kind of money.
HarleyVest, StoneFree and SgtTDC like this.
ColoHarleyGirl is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl View Post
I just witnessed a new rider on a brand new Vrod. It was way too much bike for him. He high sided the bike on the median within 10 minutes of ownership. Not pretty. Lesson learned is buy a bike you can handle and move up with experience. Maybe a Dyna/Softail is right for you but be absolutely sure before spending that kind of money.
The V-Rod Muscle has nearly twice as much horsepower than a 103 bike.
HockeyCoach is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCoach View Post
The V-Rod Muscle has nearly twice as much horsepower than a 103 bike.
True. But more power of any kind is more power. The point is have the experience to a handle whatever the power is.
StoneFree and Rock270 like this.
ColoHarleyGirl is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl View Post
True. But more power of any kind is more power. The point is have the experience to a handle whatever the power is.
More torque means less gear shifting (lugging) and that makes things easier by allowing the riding to concentrate a little more on traffic. The Sportster 1200 & the Fat Bob have nearly identical 0-60 and 1/4 miles, IIRC, but the Fat Bob is much easier to ride. It's a very docile bike. There isn't even much a exhaust note until you roll on hard.

I haven't ridden a 500 but I'm not sure I'd want to take it on a freeway. Insufficient power can be a bad thing too. For it's intended purpose (running around town), I sure it's fine.
HockeyCoach is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCoach View Post
More torque means less gear shifting (lugging) and that makes things easier by allowing the riding to concentrate a little more on traffic. The Sportster 1200 & the Fat Bob have nearly identical 0-60 and 1/4 miles, IIRC, but the Fat Bob is much easier to ride. It's a very docile bike. There isn't even much a exhaust note until you roll on hard.

I haven't ridden a 500 but I'm not sure I'd want to take it on a freeway. Insufficient power can be a bad thing too. For it's intended purpose (running around town), I sure it's fine.
very true
good low end power does help if you're in the city more and need more power in lower speed ranges.



harleyhoonigan is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
HarleyVest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCoach View Post
More torque means less gear shifting (lugging) and that makes things easier by allowing the riding to concentrate a little more on traffic. The Sportster 1200 & the Fat Bob have nearly identical 0-60 and 1/4 miles, IIRC, but the Fat Bob is much easier to ride. It's a very docile bike. There isn't even much a exhaust note until you roll on hard.

I haven't ridden a 500 but I'm not sure I'd want to take it on a freeway. Insufficient power can be a bad thing too. For it's intended purpose (running around town), I sure it's fine.
I can agree with you on the torque. Less shiting, the torque carries the bike through the gear well more or less tooths.

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
HarleyVest is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
someone say highside?




gahh, keep it shinny side up...
Mr.Fantasy is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't Believe Everything You Read Sherri Harley-Davidson Street General Discussion 6 06-10-2014 12:42 PM
Things you don't want to see on the road bbally Off-topic Discussion 9 05-02-2014 01:03 PM
New to Motorcycles : Don't know what to buy ajayk1986 New Members Introduction 18 04-25-2014 12:12 PM
Harley-Davidson study finds that women who ride are happier than women who don't Yusef Harley-Davidson Street General Discussion 19 01-12-2014 07:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome