Took a beginner's class this weekend and now I don't want a bike. - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Took a beginner's class this weekend and now I don't want a bike.

I need a bike. There's a 500 in a dealership near me. Maybe it should be mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Just took my street 500 out today and put 50 miles on it, buy it and you'll never look back with regrets. Don't let anybody convince you it doesn't have any power, be in the right gear at the right time and it will throw you back in the seat.
StoneFree likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webertiger View Post
I need a bike. There's a 500 in a dealership near me. Maybe it should be mine.
I know this is and Street forum but test ride a Dyna/Softail cruiser and the Fat Bob, particularly, if you're considering an H-D.

The forward controls make the seating position very comfortable (for me, at least, at 6 feet tall).

The bike handles surprising well and you may not even notice the extra weight.

Gear changes are very smooth.

But... most of all... it's torque of the 103 cu. in. engine that makes riding easier and enjoyable! There is a lot of range in each gear and you can shift when it's more convenient. It's actually a lot harder to learn on a bike that requires more work.

Finally, driving experience actually matters the most because, on a bike, you have to predict bad traffic situations. That, more than anything, will keep you safe.

post #4 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I just witnessed a new rider on a brand new Vrod. It was way too much bike for him. He high sided the bike on the median within 10 minutes of ownership. Not pretty. Lesson learned is buy a bike you can handle and move up with experience. Maybe a Dyna/Softail is right for you but be absolutely sure before spending that kind of money.
HarleyVest, StoneFree and SgtTDC like this.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl View Post
I just witnessed a new rider on a brand new Vrod. It was way too much bike for him. He high sided the bike on the median within 10 minutes of ownership. Not pretty. Lesson learned is buy a bike you can handle and move up with experience. Maybe a Dyna/Softail is right for you but be absolutely sure before spending that kind of money.
The V-Rod Muscle has nearly twice as much horsepower than a 103 bike.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCoach View Post
The V-Rod Muscle has nearly twice as much horsepower than a 103 bike.
True. But more power of any kind is more power. The point is have the experience to a handle whatever the power is.
StoneFree and Rock270 like this.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHarleyGirl View Post
True. But more power of any kind is more power. The point is have the experience to a handle whatever the power is.
More torque means less gear shifting (lugging) and that makes things easier by allowing the riding to concentrate a little more on traffic. The Sportster 1200 & the Fat Bob have nearly identical 0-60 and 1/4 miles, IIRC, but the Fat Bob is much easier to ride. It's a very docile bike. There isn't even much a exhaust note until you roll on hard.

I haven't ridden a 500 but I'm not sure I'd want to take it on a freeway. Insufficient power can be a bad thing too. For it's intended purpose (running around town), I sure it's fine.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
More torque means less gear shifting (lugging) and that makes things easier by allowing the riding to concentrate a little more on traffic. The Sportster 1200 & the Fat Bob have nearly identical 0-60 and 1/4 miles, IIRC, but the Fat Bob is much easier to ride. It's a very docile bike. There isn't even much a exhaust note until you roll on hard.

I haven't ridden a 500 but I'm not sure I'd want to take it on a freeway. Insufficient power can be a bad thing too. For it's intended purpose (running around town), I sure it's fine.
very true
good low end power does help if you're in the city more and need more power in lower speed ranges.

post #9 of 23 Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:

I can agree with you on the torque. Less shiting, the torque carries the bike through the gear well more or less tooths.

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
someone say highside?

gahh, keep it shinny side up...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page