User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Watch and Read This..

Disclaimer: You'll be riding with someone to their death...

Why is he not constantly covering the front brake, he scrubs next to no speed effectively? Yes I know it was a SMIDSY but thats exactly why the extra onus is on US!

Bikewriter.com: Motorcycle safety notes: "I hate it when that happens"

Keep it cool, make no assumptions, stay shinny...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
A sad story and sad video but he was obviously riding way too fast and not giving himself any options when the car turned in front of him. Had he been riding at the speed limit he would have had ample time to react to the situation.

It should be noted that I used to ride like that and it was only after numerous close calls where I could have easily been killed did I learn to slow it down and not outride my ability to react in emergencies. I was lucky and learned. He was unlucky and, unfortunately, he never had the time to learn that excessive speed kills.

If a person really wants to go fast on a motorcycle then take it to a race course and become a racer. You don't have to "go professional" to do this and you can get all of the Yah-Yah's you want on a race track without "cages" out there that can and eventually will kill you on the road.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Been there done that. Luckily I was only doing about 30, but it still messed me up very bad.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way !

post #4 of 6 Old 09-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDawg View Post
Been there done that. Luckily I was only doing about 30, but it still messed me up very bad.
Lucky!
At least it was just at a low speed, easy way to learn, fortunately you weren't going much faster.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
While it is obvious that the car didn't see him coming it's also obvious that he had ample warning that the car was beginning to turn into his path. You can see the car beginning to turn probably 2 seconds before he actually hits it and that is with a camera that isn't nearly as good as what the rider would actually see.

We can say the car driver didn't see him but I'd also say he didn't see the car when it first began to turn either. An alert rider will see a car that is slowing to make a turn and will anticipate they're going to do just. This is something every rider needs to learn to look out for because it's going to happen.

He had time and could have braked and/or swerved to avoid it. Learning to swerve a motorcycle is taught in the Basic Rider Safety Course and it is something we should practice until it becomes second nature. If you have to think about what to do it's already too late.

It's not a question of "if" but instead "when" which is why anticipating it and being 100% aware of every vehicle and what it can/will do is so important for safe riding.

This is a tragic video to watch but I really appreciate the parents posting it. It should be watched by every rider more than once because we're all going to face this situation at some point. Watch it, learn from it, and ride safe.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Being more aware of things is another reason why i loved that I decided to get into bikes, before that, i wasn't as aware of my surroundings. Now, even in a car i'm much more aware.
It's just too bad no matter how aware we are on bikes. we're still much more vulnerable.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page