LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
KRH

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shared parking

Well, I rode my bike to work today and there was a Honda Shadow in the space I normally park in.... I usually park over to one side, so another bike can fit if they choose, or so a car doesn't knock me.... but it got me thinking....

What is the proper protocol for sharing spaces? This is not paid parking. Its designated for us from work.... share? Share only with consent? I have no clue who this other rider is....but taking a whole other spot seemed a waste to me.....

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I think that you can share as long as you make sure that you actually leave enough space for the other person to get in or out. If you can do that, I don't see why there would be a problem.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
I look at the bike I am parking next too.

Show bike I don't share a space with it. Someone has a lot of money invested I do not wish to be blamed for a scratch.

Parked nose in instead of backed in (except on a grade) I will not park with them.

Looks new and is mostly stock, I don't park next to it. As probably a green rider.

Bike looks like a wreck... I don't park next to it. Not interested in being near a bike where the rider obviously does not give a crapppp about their machine's condition.

Trike or one of the snowmobiles with wheels where the skis and track belong I do not park with it.

Bike looks like a seasoned machine with miles on it and parked off center I slip in with them. Brand does not matter to me, just whether it looks like they know what they are doing.
Livin On and Spock001 like this.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

Last edited by bbally; 09-26-2014 at 04:14 PM.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Well just like you slide over to one side so another can fit, you look for the signs of accomodation. Bally summed it up pretty well, if the guy has slid it over to the side then he's clearly expecting another to share the spot with him...

Now what bothers me is when I see bikes parked parallel, downtown outside our office. In the space it takes for the one bike parallel you could fit at least 3 bikes in there perpendicular, it just ends up ruing things for the rest of us...
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Shared parking

Did forget to mention parallel parking. First person in sets the tone I am first it is middle of the space angled out toward the street at +15 to +22.5 degrees off of 0 degrees (0 being crossing the street directly to the other side. 90 being the direction of travel on the side you are parking). You see that. I am saying if you have the skill pile in with me.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #6 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
KRH

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
he was on the left of the parking space (backed in) but toward the front so cars could see him there. I backed in next to him with plenty of space to spare. No angry note or anything...so I think I'm good.

I met someone else that drives a goldwing today.... He parks in a different lot...says i can share his space...but he parks uncovered....I think I'll stick with the covered parking and walk a little bit....
StoneFree, bbally and HDGuy like this.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Smart chick! You are doing good.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post
he was on the left of the parking space (backed in) but toward the front so cars could see him there. I backed in next to him with plenty of space to spare. No angry note or anything...so I think I'm good.

I met someone else that drives a goldwing today.... He parks in a different lot...says i can share his space...but he parks uncovered....I think I'll stick with the covered parking and walk a little bit....

A rule of thumb is that if they park only using 1/2 of the space they expect to share. The same goes for you. Willing to share? Only use 1/2 of the space.

On the street I always back up to the curb at an angle and never park parallel to it. If it's on a grade I always park in the side going up hill and use the curb as a chock to keep the bike from rolling down hill.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRH View Post

Thats the best thing to do. Plus going for little walk after riding for a bit is a nice change for a bit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page