Harley Davidson Street Forums banner

Street 500 or 750 for a big guy

23K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  StoneFree 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just to give a quick intro, I'm a new rider looking to buy my first motorcycle. I will be driving 65 miles a day on the freeway and about 5 a day in the city.

I'm a big guy, wide not tall. I'm 5'9 and about 275lb, I have ridden the Street 500, Superlow 883, Vulcan 900 and Triumph Speedmaster. The Street had the best posture, comfort and weight for what I am looking for.

I felt comfortable enough on the 883 and larger bikes, I'm a pretty mild tempered driver so I don't typically try to get up to speed within a matter of a couple of seconds.

I plan on adding a windshield to the Street. It doesn't look the greatest, I know, but my back was injured in a car accident a few years back and is finally good enough to ride, however any pressure I can reduce on my hour ride to work would be great.

Currently the only other plan to change anything on this bike is the mirror extensions since I have broad shoulders and felt I was having to look around me and not at the traffic. Black Mirror Extension Kit-56000042 | Handlebar Mounted Mirrors | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

So, after my (not so) quick introduction. I'm curious if I should go with the 750 or the 500. I am looking to get the best MPG while still having enough power to get out of a sticky situation when needed.

Thanks in advanced for any and all info!

See less See more
#2 ·
Go with the Street 750 for the few dollars more and for the freeway driving it would be the best choice. But with that said, please keep in mind that you’re a new rider to motorcycles and long extensive trips like you’re talking about is mainly for the more experience rider not for a newbie.

If this is your only option for transportation then please be very careful and alert when riding, there are many tricks and leaning experiences you will have to go through…and that takes time!

#3 ·
Thanks! I don't plan on hoping on to the long freeway rides immediately. I have a car that will be fine for driving for a while longer until I feel more comfortable.

I've had a lot of people tell me the 750 would be better but most of them are saying "You'll probably want more power" rather than, "You should have more power available" So it was always unclear.

#10 ·
There's always the question of "more power" and I'll relate my personal experiences. My normal ride is an '07 XL 50 Sportster that's 1200cc. I've also been on an 883cc Sportster and it really made no difference as the extra power of the 1200 was never needed and very rarely used.

I purchased the Street 750 for a tribute chopper project (same displacement as the Honda CB750 that my late brother built choppers out of in 1969-70) but I test rode the Street 500 first. I took the Street 500 up on the freeway and it rode along very nicely at 70 mph without any strain on the engine at all. The accelleration was comparable without any real noticable difference. I'm sure that the 750 is faster in the 1/4 mile but no one really rides like that IMO.

If the difference in price isn't an object of concern I'd probably suggest the 750 but I'm quite sure you'd be happy with either the Street 500 or Street 750. The most important factor was that you felt the Street was the most comfortable for your riding situation so either will work as neither is under-powered.

I do agree with you that for a hour ride twice a day at freeway speeds the windshield is advisable. It does significantly cut down on rider fatique at speeds above about 50 mph.

#4 ·
Hi everyone,

Just to give a quick intro, I'm a new rider looking to buy my first motorcycle. I will be driving 65 miles a day on the freeway and about 5 a day in the city.

I'm a big guy, wide not tall. I'm 5'9 and about 275lb, I have ridden the Street 500, Superlow 883, Vulcan 900 and Triumph Speedmaster. The Street had the best posture, comfort and weight for what I am looking for.

I felt comfortable enough on the 883 and larger bikes, I'm a pretty mild tempered driver so I don't typically try to get up to speed within a matter of a couple of seconds.

I plan on adding a windshield to the Street. It doesn't look the greatest, I know, but my back was injured in a car accident a few years back and is finally good enough to ride, however any pressure I can reduce on my hour ride to work would be great.

Currently the only other plan to change anything on this bike is the mirror extensions since I have broad shoulders and felt I was having to look around me and not at the traffic. Black Mirror Extension Kit-56000042 | Handlebar Mounted Mirrors | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

So, after my (not so) quick introduction. I'm curious if I should go with the 750 or the 500. I am looking to get the best MPG while still having enough power to get out of a sticky situation when needed.

Thanks in advanced for any and all info!
Welcome to the Forum. I too am a new rider. I say go with the 750, the body on the 750 and the 500 is the same body, it is the engine that makes the different.

I think it will depend on your comfort level but I find the freeway more comforatble than city.

When I got my bike, my girl friend who took the riding course with me and had her bike before me, rode over to my house when I told her my bike was on the way, she beat my bike there. that day we went for a quick ride about 10 miles in the city, the next ride we rode out to the stealership which is about 20 miles but on the freeway 99% and my second ride was to Ocean City over 200 miles away, freeway, bridge, cith, amoung thousands of bikes. You will get experience in the seat, so even if you dont do the 65 miles right away, get that butt in that seat as often as possible to get that comfort level up

As far as which bike, if you can, I wild get the 750.

I put a windshield on my bike, at first I did not like it because they had to take my fairing off to install it but once I got use to the look, I am so happy that I did it. It really does makes a difference in the ride.

#7 ·
@HDGuy, No I would think not. Given a choice for a big guy I would think the Street 750 would be a better ride.

I spend a good deal of my riding time on a Road King Classic. Which is what like three times + the cc of the Street. So I notice when the power wanes a bit going up hill with the Street 500. Oh and my 500 is still stock with the exception of the mirrors.

Both the Street 500 and 750 are good bikes for their class of bikes.
Hella fun.

#11 ·
Depending where and how far you have to commute, a bike might work out cheaper.

Now say if someone commutes to the city and back daily needs a time and money efficient way to go about this, getting a bike and avoiding having to pay for parking could save a lot in the long run.

And depending on how hectic of a city, forget the cost of parking...sometimes just finding parking may be an issue.

In my case, since i'm in a big city... a bike is the way to go. A scooter would be super frugal, but I don't think i can see myself on one :D

#12 ·
Thank you all for your replies, I apologize for not getting back to this forum sooner. I ended going with the 750. I just got it yesterday night, but it was my wedding anniversary so I was out the rest of the night with my wife.

The 750, I think is definitely the better choice, I feel more comfortable on that one than I did with the 500 (in regards to power).

I did get the windshield and some mirrors with longer stems. The windshield helps immensely in higher speeds.

#14 ·
There is an interesting deal in Denver with hotels and motorbikes.

I normally stay at either the Magnolia, The Kimpton, Teatro, or Monaco and there insurance won't let them drive a motorbike for Valet so they let you take it in and out and you don't pay for the secured parking.

The GM at the Kimpton is also a motorcyclist.

Anyway it does save some bucks for a Denver visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.