Street 500 or 750 for a big guy - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-13-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Street 500 or 750 for a big guy

Hi everyone,

Just to give a quick intro, I'm a new rider looking to buy my first motorcycle. I will be driving 65 miles a day on the freeway and about 5 a day in the city.

I'm a big guy, wide not tall. I'm 5'9 and about 275lb, I have ridden the Street 500, Superlow 883, Vulcan 900 and Triumph Speedmaster. The Street had the best posture, comfort and weight for what I am looking for.

I felt comfortable enough on the 883 and larger bikes, I'm a pretty mild tempered driver so I don't typically try to get up to speed within a matter of a couple of seconds.

I plan on adding a windshield to the Street. It doesn't look the greatest, I know, but my back was injured in a car accident a few years back and is finally good enough to ride, however any pressure I can reduce on my hour ride to work would be great.

Currently the only other plan to change anything on this bike is the mirror extensions since I have broad shoulders and felt I was having to look around me and not at the traffic. Black Mirror Extension Kit-56000042 | Handlebar Mounted Mirrors | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

So, after my (not so) quick introduction. I'm curious if I should go with the 750 or the 500. I am looking to get the best MPG while still having enough power to get out of a sticky situation when needed.

Thanks in advanced for any and all info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinetsu View Post
Hi everyone,

Just to give a quick intro, I'm a new rider looking to buy my first motorcycle. I will be driving 65 miles a day on the freeway and about 5 a day in the city.

I'm a big guy, wide not tall. I'm 5'9 and about 275lb, I have ridden the Street 500, Superlow 883, Vulcan 900 and Triumph Speedmaster. The Street had the best posture, comfort and weight for what I am looking for.

I felt comfortable enough on the 883 and larger bikes, I'm a pretty mild tempered driver so I don't typically try to get up to speed within a matter of a couple of seconds.

I plan on adding a windshield to the Street. It doesn't look the greatest, I know, but my back was injured in a car accident a few years back and is finally good enough to ride, however any pressure I can reduce on my hour ride to work would be great.

Currently the only other plan to change anything on this bike is the mirror extensions since I have broad shoulders and felt I was having to look around me and not at the traffic. Black Mirror Extension Kit-56000042 | Handlebar Mounted Mirrors | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

So, after my (not so) quick introduction. I'm curious if I should go with the 750 or the 500. I am looking to get the best MPG while still having enough power to get out of a sticky situation when needed.

Go with the Street 750 for the few dollars more and for the freeway driving it would be the best choice. But with that said, please keep in mind that you’re a new rider to motorcycles and long extensive trips like you’re talking about is mainly for the more experience rider not for a newbie.

If this is your only option for transportation then please be very careful and alert when riding, there are many tricks and leaning experiences you will have to go through…and that takes time!
jenh010112 and 10-64 like this.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-13-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks! I don't plan on hoping on to the long freeway rides immediately. I have a car that will be fine for driving for a while longer until I feel more comfortable.

I've had a lot of people tell me the 750 would be better but most of them are saying "You'll probably want more power" rather than, "You should have more power available" So it was always unclear.

post #4 of 18 Old 10-14-2014, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Forum. I too am a new rider. I say go with the 750, the body on the 750 and the 500 is the same body, it is the engine that makes the different.

I think it will depend on your comfort level but I find the freeway more comforatble than city.

When I got my bike, my girl friend who took the riding course with me and had her bike before me, rode over to my house when I told her my bike was on the way, she beat my bike there. that day we went for a quick ride about 10 miles in the city, the next ride we rode out to the stealership which is about 20 miles but on the freeway 99% and my second ride was to Ocean City over 200 miles away, freeway, bridge, cith, amoung thousands of bikes. You will get experience in the seat, so even if you dont do the 65 miles right away, get that butt in that seat as often as possible to get that comfort level up

As far as which bike, if you can, I wild get the 750.

I put a windshield on my bike, at first I did not like it because they had to take my fairing off to install it but once I got use to the look, I am so happy that I did it. It really does makes a difference in the ride.
jenh010112 likes this.

I am the Beauty of "Beauty and the Beast"
post #5 of 18 Old 10-14-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
I would say to go with the 750 as well, simply due to your weight. I have the 500 and weigh a fair bit less than you do. I find going up steep grades the bike could use more power. Which ever bike you chose you are going to enjoy the rider experience.
Ride Safe.
HDGuy likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamegirl View Post
I would say to go with the 750 as well, simply due to your weight. I have the 500 and weigh a fair bit less than you do. I find going up steep grades the bike could use more power. Which ever bike you chose you are going to enjoy the rider experience.
Ride Safe.
Would you say the lack of power could be a deal breaker for some people interested in getting a Street and is something HD should look into addressing?
post #7 of 18 Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
@HDGuy, No I would think not. Given a choice for a big guy I would think the Street 750 would be a better ride.

I spend a good deal of my riding time on a Road King Classic. Which is what like three times + the cc of the Street. So I notice when the power wanes a bit going up hill with the Street 500. Oh and my 500 is still stock with the exception of the mirrors.

Both the Street 500 and 750 are good bikes for their class of bikes.
Hella fun.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-15-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Yup, that's what I have heard about the 750, overall for most folks it's a great bike, good enough in all if not most situations. It's a real winner.

post #9 of 18 Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I say the 750 but keep in mind you will be gassing up every day due to the small tank. For me that is a deal breaker. Also, riding in stop and go traffic on bike MC is truly frustrating. If you are looking to save on gas I personally would look at a hybrid car. Just my two cents.
harleyhoonigan likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks! I don't plan on hoping on to the long freeway rides immediately. I have a car that will be fine for driving for a while longer until I feel more comfortable.

I've had a lot of people tell me the 750 would be better but most of them are saying "You'll probably want more power" rather than, "You should have more power available" So it was always unclear.
There's always the question of "more power" and I'll relate my personal experiences. My normal ride is an '07 XL 50 Sportster that's 1200cc. I've also been on an 883cc Sportster and it really made no difference as the extra power of the 1200 was never needed and very rarely used.

I purchased the Street 750 for a tribute chopper project (same displacement as the Honda CB750 that my late brother built choppers out of in 1969-70) but I test rode the Street 500 first. I took the Street 500 up on the freeway and it rode along very nicely at 70 mph without any strain on the engine at all. The accelleration was comparable without any real noticable difference. I'm sure that the 750 is faster in the 1/4 mile but no one really rides like that IMO.

If the difference in price isn't an object of concern I'd probably suggest the 750 but I'm quite sure you'd be happy with either the Street 500 or Street 750. The most important factor was that you felt the Street was the most comfortable for your riding situation so either will work as neither is under-powered.

I do agree with you that for a hour ride twice a day at freeway speeds the windshield is advisable. It does significantly cut down on rider fatique at speeds above about 50 mph.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page