LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Uss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Riding Again....

I have been going through the thread So Confused with great interest and perhaps so have the other members. A number of us are taking to the saddle again after breaks of many years, decades even and include myself in that category as well. I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where we can share views and thoughts on what is it that brings us back to motorcycles after such long gaps and for many (myself included) after we are in our 50s......and others who come to ride motorcycles for the first time around that or later years......

Perhaps we can all learn and get answers to the rides we want from what is shared here......

Cheers
Haulin on a Lo, Rock270 and SgtTDC like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-07-2015, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Very interesting topic. I got back to riding at 51 after a 25-30 years break. Back then I had to ride a bike as I couldn't afford a car. But it appears that it developed a passion for riding that was asleep all this time. Now, when kids are grown up, there's more time on hand (and money) - this passion for riding woke up. Another reason for me personally would probably be finding a way to cope with every day stress at work. By the age of 50 most of us are probably close to where we want to be career-wise. I do have a bit of stress at work. I'm finding that certain activities are helping me to deal with it. I'm into handguns/shooting and motorcycles/riding. What's in common? Both activities require full concentration: you-motorcycle-road-environment. Or you-handgun-target-environment. Any mistake/lack of full attention can be deadly to you or the ones around you. Paying full attention requires the mind to focus solely on the one and only task and forget about everything else. At the same time - it's a full relaxation.
Just thoughts.
Rock270, Lloyd Maynard and SgtTDC like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Even I went through a "break" where I didn't own and ride a motorcycle but it was short (about 8 years) and it drove me nuts. I just missed the freedom and the beauty of the journey as opposed to the destination that separates being in a cage (car) and on a motorcycle. Cars are predominately about getting somewhere while motorcycles are about experiencing the journey regardless of where you eventually end up. I make plans for "road trips" on my motorcycle but only reach the destinations about 75% of the time and always go places I'd never planned on going to begin with. It was always the "road" that ultimately dictated where I've gone and not any pre-planning on my part.

For many that have been away from riding for a long time I tend to believe this is why they end up riding again. They're tired of "going someplace" and instead long for the feeling of just "going anywhere" down the road and of feeling free in doing that. The experience is so totally different between the two because on a motorcycle you're a component of the journey while in a car your isolated from the actual journey itself.

Just my opinion of course as each of us find our own compelling internal reasons for yearning to ride.

JBsXG750USA and Rock270 like this.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-14-2015, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
After riding for 13+years, I took a "break" for about 9-10 years. Then had a bike for few years, and was bikeless again for a few more.
I have always loved riding, but family life put it on hold. It got to the point that I would only get 200-300 miles per year. My kids are all in their teens now and do their own thing most of the time, so I now have time to ride again.
I rarely ever have a destination. When I get to the end of my driveway, I decide which way to go. That is the way it has always been. I am also a classic car hound. Back in the day, I would hop on my bike and ride all day long on the weekends on every back road I could find looking for old cars. Back then I had a few friends who rode, but unfortunately none of them ride any more. Now I ride with my 70+ year old neighbor on occasion. I just wish I lived where I could ride all year round instead of 6-7 months.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A great idea indeed! I haven't yet experienced the feeling of how it feels to get back to riding a motorcycle after decades but I feel that it would be one of the best experiences of life. Getting back to something you love will be a wonderful feeling indeed! I have just bought a new HD bike after marriage, but am having a really tough time convincing my wife to let me ride! I just don't know how to make her understand that I won't die!
post #6 of 17 Old 10-15-2015, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by javierduke View Post
A great idea indeed! I haven't yet experienced the feeling of how it feels to get back to riding a motorcycle after decades but I feel that it would be one of the best experiences of life. Getting back to something you love will be a wonderful feeling indeed! I have just bought a new HD bike after marriage, but am having a really tough time convincing my wife to let me ride! I just don't know how to make her understand that I won't die!

if I may suggest, take the advanced riders course that Harley offers.
it also teaches hazard avoidance technics that is very valuable in todays driving environments, that may help calm some of her worry.

best of rides for ya.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-16-2015, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I have not had a break or returned to riding. Motorcycles are a part of my DNA and today I enjoy the idea of taking a ride just as much as I did 50 years ago when I got my first motorcycle. What I do miss is the smell of a two-stroke screaming along the highway as you sit in the slipstream. Younger and without fear, that is all that has changed as the years have matured me. A proud day for me was watching my daughter ride to school on her first motorcycle, two days after she got her learners license.
Rock270 likes this.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #8 of 17 Old 10-16-2015, 06:16 AM

oh yeah, the 'ol two strokes.....a lot of HP from not many cc's
like the old kaw triples, back in the 70's....awesome power!

and the 2 stroke dirt bikes.....I miss them too!
someday, they'll likely ban all combustible engines.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Uss

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes ofcourse and the Yamaha Trails the 400s... those 2 strokes were raw power and back then there was nowhere these bikes wouldn't take you! I guess the bikes are still as muscled up it is just the mind set...the current generation must be feeling now what we felt then in the 70s....only I believe we had more freedom!

And that taste for freedom is what brings me back after this long break. Work, family, the safety of 4 wheels pushed back the spirit somewhat till one day I realised the children had become young adults and the urge to break free started making me restless.....
post #10 of 17 Old 11-05-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFree View Post
Even I went through a "break" where I didn't own and ride a motorcycle but it was short (about 8 years) and it drove me nuts. I just missed the freedom and the beauty of the journey as opposed to the destination that separates being in a cage (car) and on a motorcycle. Cars are predominately about getting somewhere while motorcycles are about experiencing the journey regardless of where you eventually end up. I make plans for "road trips" on my motorcycle but only reach the destinations about 75% of the time and always go places I'd never planned on going to begin with. It was always the "road" that ultimately dictated where I've gone and not any pre-planning on my part.

For many that have been away from riding for a long time I tend to believe this is why they end up riding again. They're tired of "going someplace" and instead long for the feeling of just "going anywhere" down the road and of feeling free in doing that. The experience is so totally different between the two because on a motorcycle you're a component of the journey while in a car your isolated from the actual journey itself.

Just my opinion of course as each of us find our own compelling internal reasons for yearning to ride.

very well said!

I have had bikes most all my life, since age 7.
I'm now 57 and have never been over a yr without a bike.
yes, it is a great stress release, whether from work, relationships or just day to day struggles. but for me it has always been an adventure, I rarely ever plan a destination, I ride locally mostly now days and never get in any hurry on purpose.

I guess the wandering about is the adventure, sometimes I listen to music, other times I just think out problems, but mostly I simply enjoy the alone time and sightseeing I suppose.

as far as buying this lil Harley....well I wanted a bike that was easy to ride and handle but had plenty of power to boot. hd may have thought they made these for younger/new riders....well, they hit a home run for older riders that want/need something easier to ride.

now I need to get me a luggage rack and attach the pet carrier, so I can take each of our little dogs adventuring with me....they love riding the golf cart too!
Solo750owner and SgtTDC like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page