Proficient Motorycycling and Shifting Gears at 50 - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

4Likes
  • 4 Post By rnav2174

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-02-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Proficient Motorycycling and Shifting Gears at 50

Anyone else reading these books " Proficient Motorcycling The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well" by David L. Hough and "Shifting Gears at 50" by Philip Buonpastore. I'm just getting back into riding after a 30 year absence and I think they are great for helping in getting me up to speed, a lot has changed over the years and as a self taught rider from the 70's, after reading these books , I'm surprised I survived. So much I didn't know. Anyway, just recommending them . They are in libraries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnav2174 View Post
Anyone else reading these books " Proficient Motorcycling The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well" by David L. Hough and "Shifting Gears at 50" by Philip Buonpastore. I'm just getting back into riding after a 30 year absence and I think they are great for helping in getting me up to speed, a lot has changed over the years and as a self taught rider from the 70's, after reading these books , I'm surprised I survived. So much I didn't know. Anyway, just recommending them . They are in libraries.
Welcome back to the Two-Wheel World. Whilte I've not read the books and I've been riding consistantly for about 45 years in retrospect I'm also often surprised I survived. What I think I've learned over the years, as I got older, is that reaction times and physical ability that was once my means of avoiding killing myself have been replaced with situational awareness, to avoid situations, and improved motorcycle control in responding to situations keeps me much safer today. It's obviously a learning process that we experience but something that we need to be aware of. Take care, ride safe, and enjoy yourself is always the best advice.

Always remember that for every mile of highway there are two miles of ditches.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnav2174 View Post
Looked these up on kindle and bought the first one. I am also back riding after over 30 years and I think any informed training and advice is worth having. I was surprised at how similar the Street felt to my old bike from the 80s (Kawasaki Z500), so getting back into it shouldn't take long , I hope! Thanks for the heads up.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
No I've never seen the books you listed. What has helped me was the video now on DVD Twist Of The Wrist by Keith Code. It's more tailored for racing but one can lean a lot from it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page