• 1 Post By Desert Tortoise

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-24-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Good News Already...

So the Street 500 and 70 are expected to reign in a new demographic to Harley Davidson, sure thats the narrative. What if I was to say the shift is already well under way?

When Harley launched Project Rushmore last year it was with the intention to reach past the traditional 50 plus white male demographic. Well, coinciding with the launch of Project Rushmore Harley found that its image among non core demographics was actually far better than most people would believe. In 2013 Harley saw its sales growth double to non traditional clientele...

Is Harley-Davidson, Inc. Moving As Fast As It Appears? - DailyFinance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Harley will continue to grow

Especially if they expand to Asia

Asia is where all the money is at right about now.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I think that Harley would do well to make a cafe-racer style bike. I think that would sell really well to the younger clientele that Harley are trying to on board. Other brands have been making bikes like that and they have been doing well, and I think a cafe racer bike would still match with Harley's brand.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
Harley will continue to grow

Especially if they expand to Asia

Asia is where all the money is at right about now.
I know it will sell good over their, now I just wonder how well it will sell their when compared to the U.S.

post #5 of 9 Old 02-25-2014, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusef View Post
I think that Harley would do well to make a cafe-racer style bike. I think that would sell really well to the younger clientele that Harley are trying to on board. Other brands have been making bikes like that and they have been doing well, and I think a cafe racer bike would still match with Harley's brand.
They have, several times, and they were always sales flops. There was the XLCR Cafe Racer of 1977/78. Only lasted two model years (ok there were 9 1979 models made with left over parts). Then there was the XR-1000, another sporting Harley that lasted two model years and never took off. Next came the VRSCR Street Rod, a sporting V-Rod on a unique frame with more ride height, more rear suspension travel, upswept pipes, lots more cornering clearance, a male slider fork and genuinely good ride and handling. Harley made a couple of thousand in 2006 and only a little over 200 in 2007, then canceled it with left over 2006's lingering for years unsold.

Next up was the XR-1200. That one lasted four years. It is the best Sportster ever made, but look what survived, the 48, the 72 and the Dark Customs. Kludge! The XR was a genuinely good bike, but the tattoo and pierced everything crowd wouldn't bite, and the guys who drag their knees on corners wouldn't be caught dead in a Hardly Ableson dealership.

Even today I hear riders I know moan "why didn't Harley make a V-Rod model like the XR-1200?". They did. It was called the Street Rod. It is a fabulous bike but you missed it. Harley has a very tough time getting anyone to take a sporting Harley serious. I feel for them because deep inside they have people working there that dearly want to make and sell sporting iron, but they just can't get anyone to take their efforts seriously, and the dealers don't do them any favors either. It makes my head spin to see dealers slam and chrome a Street Rod to make it appeal to the barbarians, but that is the crap that happens.
Sherri likes this.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-07-2014, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Yep, when most people think of HARLEY it’s feet forward and dripping with chrome.

When I look around my HOG chapter I think the average age is 63. Harley really needs to get the younger blood buying their bikes. So comes the Street. For what I see, it has the looks, the sound, and it’s price right. I think this one’s a winner.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
The XR was a genuinely good bike, but the tattoo and pierced everything crowd wouldn't bite, and the guys who drag their knees on corners wouldn't be caught dead in a Hardly Ableson dealership.
I feel like the tattoo and pierced crowd is dying out.

And the knee draggers will never consider the brand anyways.

So that leaves the young guys who just want something cool to ride. That group is growing and these guys could care less what the old school harley guys care because the truth is that they are dying out.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
I feel like the tattoo and pierced crowd is dying out.

And the knee draggers will never consider the brand anyways.

So that leaves the young guys who just want something cool to ride. That group is growing and these guys could care less what the old school harley guys care because the truth is that they are dying out.
It is from what I have seen, most of those guys seem to never let go of their old bikes. I think they will for ever be with them

post #9 of 9 Old 03-07-2014, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhoonigan View Post
It is from what I have seen, most of those guys seem to never let go of their old bikes. I think they will for ever be with them

Eh, the baggers are about half of Harleys total sales, by far their best selling bikes, and it is the old fuds who are buying them mostly.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page