1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
USA? Bookings? Credit?

So when does the US get to purchase these bikes or do we still not quite know yet? What is a good amount for a deposit? And lastly for someone that is getting financed what is a good down payment for someone with not so good credit? I had trouble getting a used bike financed because of my credit. scores are like 596 672 and 660. I'm hoping that $3500 will be enough to get the deal done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Wait a year, save your money and offer cash. No groveling to some finance weenie, no worries about missing payments afterwards. Plus it ends up costing a lot less in the long run. Scrimp and save now, and when you are ready to buy, you can tell the knucklehead sales puke with tattoos, piercings and a mullet you have X dollars cash, out the door, take it or leave it. And if he balks, walk out. You will eventually get what you want at the price you want, but you cannot be afraid to tell the sales puke his price is too high and walk away. Come back in a week and things will change.
HarleyVest likes this.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
the risk with a credit rating like that is if they run a check on your credit rating, if you don't get approved it will hurt your rating.
might be best if you wait till you break the 700 mark

post #4 of 12 Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post
Wait a year, save your money and offer cash. No groveling to some finance weenie, no worries about missing payments afterwards. Plus it ends up costing a lot less in the long run. Scrimp and save now, and when you are ready to buy, you can tell the knucklehead sales puke with tattoos, piercings and a mullet you have X dollars cash, out the door, take it or leave it. And if he balks, walk out. You will eventually get what you want at the price you want, but you cannot be afraid to tell the sales puke his price is too high and walk away. Come back in a week and things will change.
Good call!

Better yet, wait six months after launch for someone who jumped on it so quickly that they didn't think it through and are now ready to sell a like-new bike for far less. I bought a 2014 Honda CTX700 in August. A fantastic bike with very few faults and not very intimidating (maybe not intimidating enough). In November there were already two forum members selling theirs. Dealers won't give them squat, so they're taking a huge hit, and prospective buyers reap the benefits.

I figure year two, the second spring would be a good time for me to get someone's used one. That is if I still like it.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2014, 06:31 PM

Yep, someone will buy one for their significant other, it won't get ridden, or seeing her ride it will scare the bejeebers out of the buyer and it will be sold in perfect condition for a song.

post #6 of 12 Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
If you are willing to wait there is no doubt you will get the best deal

but some people just aren't that patient
post #7 of 12 Old 03-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post
@i3l00d

You should really take Desert Tortoise's advice on this one. At this time just stop getting hits on your credit score the more you try to apply for loans the more your score goes down.

I'd recommend saving up cash also and wait till you have enough of a lump sum and walk in to the dealer and pay cash. Save on interests and get the bike for less this way. If you can possibly put away at least $800 month then you should be close if not then just whatever you can and get a loan for the rest.

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-03-2014, 04:57 PM

I like making the payments to myself and letting the bank pay me interest (even if it is a piddly 0.4%) instead of me paying them. If you can handle some deferred gratification you can do it.

post #9 of 12 Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I appreciate all your comments and wisdom. However, what you are basically telling me is that I don't belong on this forum because I can't get a harley davidson street. I hope I don't come off as a jerk I'm just agrivated at this ongoing cycle. I cant get a loan without credit and I can't get credit without the chance to prove I make payments. Ive never done anything to deserve bad credit. In fact I have paid off 3 vehicles never missing a payment. It'd be hard for me to save 800 a month when I only make 650 every 2 weeks. Mainly I am upset because I went out and got my motorcycle endorsement last year and have yet to really be able to use it because the only bike I could get financed for is too unreliable to trust to ride. I was hoping 3500 would be enough for the bank or finance company to overlook my credit scores or lack of credit history. I guess not.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 AM

For $3500 you can buy a good used Kawasaki KLR 650 and be on two wheels with a reliable and versatile motorcycle. And you won't have to go into hock to buy it. Or, even better how about a used Suzuki SV-650? Fabulous bike, and not just for beginners. Where I live some grizzled old riders who know there way around the local canyons buy the little SV and humiliate riders on exotic Italian and German iron. For most public roads where you can't use the power and lean angle of something like an S1000RR, the little SV is the right tool for the job.

I am an outlier wrt credit. I save and pay cash for everything I buy. I also keep what I buy rather than always trading up and living my life making payments. The bike I rode to work today I have had almost 30 years. I am trying to roll 300,000 miles by it's 30th anniversary with me this October. It has 294,000 now, so if I take a couple of long trips on it this summer I think I can make it. Deferred gratification has it's rewards.

Last edited by Desert Tortoise; 03-05-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page