2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 07-31-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes the AMA is Stupid

For the Americans in the crowd an interesting read. The AMA has actually gagged the NHTSA from telling state governments that motorcyclists should wear buckets.

So in essence, the AMA while advocating for motorcycle safety has decided to lobby AGAINST helmet laws...

Bikewriter.com: The AMA strikes another blow against helmets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-31-2014, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
The American Motorcyclist Association is a "motorcycle rights" organization, and fights for our rights and freedoms in all areas of motorcycling; which includes mandatory helmet laws. Yes, I wear one faithfully, but don't want the government be it State or Federal to tell me to do so. I am a Life Member in the AMA, and believe the organization has done much for American riders since its inception in the 1920's.

BTW-for a man who has written numerous books his verbeage leaves much to be desired. His last paragraph, and closing remark would negate any credability if spoken at a public hearing regarding motorcycle law issues.

Lastly, if you yourself are indeed a rider in the United States perhaps you wouldn't be offended if the government was also allowed to tell you (by law) what kind of jacket, gloves, and boots you should be wearing while riding your motorcycle.

Last edited by gears; 07-31-2014 at 05:58 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Yes the AMA is Stupid

Thank god. I send the serious bucks to AMA-PAC to keep the government from nannying me. I know what risk I am willing to accept. We are motorcycle rights group. Are position on safety is you know the risk you can accept. And texting is killing riders.

The problem is if NTHSA is not barred by this language they can ask that highway funds be withheld from states they feel are not trying to make helmets mandatory.

Temperance unions of all type are to be stopped. Tis a slippery slope from helmets save lives. Too this type of bike should be illegal as it kills people. (Tried on sport bike ban. Tens of thousands of us wrote checks to stop it cold). To horsepower limits (take a look at a 1978 to 1983 speedometer notice it stops at 85 MPH?) Spent a lot of money that was the compromise HP unlimited but speedo not over 85 MPH indicated. To motorbikes cannot be insured. We killed that. To health insurance does not cover motorbike injuries. We beat that. All designed to,put you in a safe steel cage

Motorcycle only check points are another thing we dried up funding for.

Motorcycle only safety checks another we killed.

Trails re opened all over the country

Noise standards.

Yep we are stupid...... Nah we just know when the camels nose is coming under our tent.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

post #4 of 23 Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I am not a motorcyclist in the USA

Its completely ass backwards to advocate rider safety and than campaign against that very thing. I'm sorry but the argument that compulsory helmets would lead to a cadence of other moto specific restrictions is borderline duplicitous. Canada, UK and Australia all have helmet laws and those govvys do not mandate jacket types or bike types.

Ok Oz and UK have a graduated licencing system, which is designed to keep squirrelly kids off supersports (the was it should be IMO), In fact maybe NA should adopt a graduated licencing system as well, might teach some of these kids to evolve past the right wrist...
post #5 of 23 Old 08-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Yes, these SuperBikes mandate special coaching. These are suicidal in untrained hands. But Helmets must be must. Here in India people wear non-standardised, low-spec helmets just to avoid being Challaned(Ticket) by traffic police thus undermining their own safety. It is here where clear law is must and a follow up should be there.

We here in India don't wear riding gear normally, brought more in trend by high capacity bike culture. Normally Apparells are sold by Harley & Triumph only, Ducati is to re-launch. Japanese & KTM are interested in selling Machines only. Indian manufacturers currently selling low end bikes, whereas BMW & Indian asking way too Premium.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
that's what i noticed, that people in india don't wear gear as much

i just hope that riders do see how much of an investment riding gear can be to yourself.

post #7 of 23 Old 08-01-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
You Americans are so obsessed with freedom. Freedom to be more likely to die in a crash. I don't really get it. I think that it makes sense for there to be mandatory helmet laws, just like there are seat belt laws. Sure you can take the risk if you want to, but I think that the government, as well as everyone else on the road has an interest in having motorcyclists be safe. Hospitals will have to save your life in the event that you crash while not wearing a helmet, insurance companies or the state will have to pay for that. It's bigger than just your freedom.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
I am not a motorcyclist in the USA

Its completely ass backwards to advocate rider safety and than campaign against that very thing.
Depends on what a person considers safety. Personally I think we would save more lives concentrating on ending distracted drivers.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
I'm sorry but the argument that compulsory helmets would lead to a cadence of other moto specific restrictions is borderline duplicitous. Canada, UK and Australia all have helmet laws and those govvys do not mandate jacket types or bike types.
Oh but they have tried, and tried many times.....

Might read this from 2007 while we were fighting the second run at a sportbike ban the Australians were also fighting the same movement from their Government. The link to the ama page no longer works, but have a look around, the Australian Government is prone to Nannying people as well.

Report raises issue of sportbike ban in USA

2006 Quebec Canada took a run at the ban of anything over 400CC

Sportbike ban in Quebec??? : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

2008 the UK also climbed onboard the motorcycle ban wagon.

Consider banning motorcycles, police tell MPs - | Motorcycle News | New Motorbikes | Buyers Guides | MCN

These are just a few quick references, there are many many of them where the government thinks it knows.

When the Camels head is under the tent, the camel is embolden to try more.......... temperance unions of any kind and never to be trusted......

What one person considers dangerous another may not. There are plenty of people who drive cars because a motorbike is too dangerous in the eyes...... and all it takes is them getting a few government types to agree and the banning starts.

In the USA the NTSHA started to pressure insurance companies to stop insuring motorbikes. We had to get that fixed in Congress... then health insurance companies started to exclude injuries caused by motorbike riding
and so we fixed that in congress..... the vigil can never end as the camel is always trying to find away to put its head under the tent.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #9 of 23 Old 08-01-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
We need to put some onus on the manufacturers themselves as well. Figure that in 1994 the Duc 916 was making 114 bhp, the 996 122 bhp, 998 made 123, the 999 jumped that to 150 bhp and the 1098R was making 180 bhp. Now the top Panner is making 195 bhp, thats what, a 70% increase in 20 years. 200 ponies in a street bike is borderline suicidal, I mean GP bikes aren't making much more, if Marquez is still chucking them up the road what does that say for the helmet less, flip floping squirrelly kid?

bally I'm with you on what a lot of you AMA guys have done and will continue to do, but the helmet thing for me is a little much. I understand that it may simply be a pose they need to adopt to remain consistent with their other activities, but it still doesn't make it logical in my eyes.

We're 40x more likely to be killed in a collision than a cager, why increase that risk even further? What really worries me is that many construe not wearing a helmet as a protest against infringements on freedom, which then in turn exacerbates the problem IMO.

With you 100% on distracted driving.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusef View Post
You Americans are so obsessed with freedom. Freedom to be more likely to die in a crash. I don't really get it. I think that it makes sense for there to be mandatory helmet laws, just like there are seat belt laws. Sure you can take the risk if you want to, but I think that the government, as well as everyone else on the road has an interest in having motorcyclists be safe. Hospitals will have to save your life in the event that you crash while not wearing a helmet, insurance companies or the state will have to pay for that. It's bigger than just your freedom.
Unfortunately some Americans are not obsessed with freedom and seem to think that they need the government to tell them exactly how they should live their personal lives. We call them sheeple. The problem is, when you give the government one inch, they take five feet... or if you live in the world of metric, you give them a millimeter, they take a meter... if you get the gist of what I am saying.
In my opinion, the difference is that I am not endangering anyone but myself if I choose to not wear a helmet. I don't need, or want, the government protecting me from myself. Laws that protect the public from actions of other individuals are a different story... such as speed limits, DWI, and texting while driving.

With that said, I wear seatbelts and helmets, and still would even if it were not the law (except when I drive my 53 Studebaker that does not have seatbelts).

Last edited by stude; 08-02-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page