LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 11-21-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
do loud pipes work?

I know this is a sensitive issue on many forums

But this is a harley forum.. And many of the complaints seem to be towards harley owners

Do you think having a loud exhaust works as a safety device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 11-21-2013, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkystreet View Post
I know this is a sensitive issue on many forums

But this is a harley forum.. And many of the complaints seem to be towards harley owners

Do you think having a loud exhaust works as a safety device?
I do, but theres also a fine balance. Theres a certain level that yes you can be heard clearly and it will keep you safe but I think the complaint with most harley owners is they go well beyond whats needed for safety and it turns into a look at me on my harley type of deal

Yusef likes this.
post #3 of 68 Old 11-21-2013, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin On View Post
I do, but theres also a fine balance. Theres a certain level that yes you can be heard clearly and it will keep you safe but I think the complaint with most harley owners is they go well beyond whats needed for safety and it turns into a look at me on my harley type of deal

Don't Be a *** - YouTube
A crazy loud exhaust combined with a D-Bag that wants to make it known how loud his exhaust is equals whats seen in the video above.

post #4 of 68 Old 11-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
I know a lot of people will say no, but my experience is different.

Back in the early '80's I rode an 1981 GPz550. Ended up putting a Kerker exhaust on it and installed one of Kerker's racing baffles. It was louder although not obnoxiously loud, and sounded more like a Z1 1000, much deeper note to it.

I remember coming up behind the blue hairs in their Cadillacs/Buicks and getting a chuckle out of them searching their mirrors for what was making the sound. They heard me coming up from behind them which a lot of people claim is BS. I know differently.

My opinion, and only mine is, an HD with LOUD pipes sounds like a crapped out POS farm tractor.
harleyhoonigan and Livin On like this.
post #5 of 68 Old 11-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post

Back in the early '80's I rode an 1981 GPz550. Ended up putting a Kerker exhaust on it and installed one of Kerker's racing baffles. It was louder although not obnoxiously loud, and sounded more like a Z1 1000, much deeper note to it.

I remember coming up behind the blue hairs in their Cadillacs/Buicks and getting a chuckle out of them searching their mirrors for what was making the sound. They heard me coming up from behind them which a lot of people claim is BS. I know differently.

My opinion, and only mine is, an HD with LOUD pipes sounds like a crapped out POS farm tractor.
exactly theres a certain point where loud pipes absolutely get peoples attention, but its quite easy to pass that line into obnoxious. Like you said your GRz had a nice rumbling tone, not a wide open howl....
post #6 of 68 Old 11-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:

It all just depends on preference for sound. some poeple find it obnoctious (most) but some actually appreciate. oftentimes others will question their hearing capabilites like if their ears still work. But for me I don't mind a little sound but has to be the right balance.

Ride Your Ride and Stay Alive.
post #7 of 68 Old 11-22-2013, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I think that your exhaust shouldn't be so loud that it makes conversation for people walking on the street impossible. It is okay to hear the bike coming, but it shouldn't be deafening. There is a fine balance.

I don't really think that having a louder exhaust is going to keep you that much safer. I'd be happy to see study that proved me wrong though.
Spock likes this.
post #8 of 68 Old 11-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
x2

this is so true, i rather have an exhaust that complements the bikes looks and original sound that isn't as quiet than one that is loud and doesn't do anything good for the bike

Dave Novotny likes this.
post #9 of 68 Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyVest View Post
It all just depends on preference for sound. some poeple find it obnoctious (most) but some actually appreciate. oftentimes others will question their hearing capabilites like if their ears still work. But for me I don't mind a little sound but has to be the right balance.
I suppose I should explain what I meant. Louder pipes can make "music", and actually enhance the sound of a motorcycle/car, etc... My statement of LOUDER pipes was about straight open pipes on a Harley, IMO it just sounds like a farm implement. Not my cup 'o tea and personally I think it hurts the image of anyone on a motorcycle.

My personal opinion of the nicest sound from a motorcycle... a 250cc Honda 6 cylinder. Now THAT'S music!
Livin On and HarleyVest like this.
post #10 of 68 Old 11-22-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I suppose I should explain what I meant. Louder pipes can make "music", and actually enhance the sound of a motorcycle/car, etc... My statement of LOUDER pipes was about straight open pipes on a Harley, IMO it just sounds like a farm implement. Not my cup 'o tea and personally I think it hurts the image of anyone on a motorcycle.

My personal opinion of the nicest sound from a motorcycle... a 250cc Honda 6 cylinder. Now THAT'S music!
well besides murdering your ear drums straight pipes rob you a little in the mid range...

the best exhausts are the ones that are quiet at idle and low revs but once you start to screw it on they open up and HOWL...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page