lane splitting? dangerous or safe? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Desert Tortoise

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
lane splitting? dangerous or safe?

What are your thoughts on lane splitting?

Should the US just legalize it across the nation? Or should it be permanently banned because it could be unsafe to drivers and riders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
My gut tells me that lane splitting is unsafe and as such I think it should be illegal. It could also make sense to make it legal but give people fines if they are being unsafe while doing it. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I understand both sides of the debate.

Does anyone have more concrete data on lane splitting?
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
it's safe if done right but first you need to make sure where you live allows it, you don't want to get ticketed for lane splitting, even if it's done very safely

post #4 of 9 Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
I grew up splitting traffic in Los Angeles. I would still be sitting in traffic on my way to my last employer if I didn't split lanes. I have split traffic for more than three decades and am completely comfortable doing so. It becomes as natural as breathing. It's like woods riding but the trees are all moving. I remember my last trip to Maryland, sitting in ridiculous humid heat that was making the rental car uncomfortable and watching some poor soul on a big bagger sitting still in traffic. No way!

There are some good practices you need to adopt to remain accident free splitting lanes. Don't go more than about 15 mph faster than the flow of traffic so you have some space and time to react to the unexpected. Split between the number one (centermost) and number two lanes because there is less lange changing going on (everyone in the number one lane had to cross all the other lanes to get there). Keep your head on a swivel, cover the front brake and horn button and try to be considerate of other drivers. One cool thing about LA is that they are savvy about lane splitting bikes and don't go all aggro on you if you pass. Many LA drivers will make room for you if you let them see you. I have even come up behind motor cops of several agencies splitting lanes and have seen them slide over and wave me past because my bike was narrower and I could split easier than they could on their big police bikes. Lane splitting has always been legal in California so everyone expects bikes to do it, and that makes it a non problem for the great majority of drivers.
HarleyVest likes this.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.

Last edited by Desert Tortoise; 02-05-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-05-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Found this video that explains why lane splitting is good and safe. I don't really understand how it is safer than not lane splitting, but i could be convinced that it isn't dangerous.

post #6 of 9 Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
The advantages is your ability to choose where you want to be on the road. You don't have to split if the gap narrows, just tuck back in a lane until a gap opens back up. You can move over and split between two other lanes if some driver up ahead looks unpredictable and you don't want to pass that particular driver. It just gives you options you don't have if you are stuck sitting between the same two cages mile after mile.

You also have better visibility than the cars and can see much more of what is happening up ahead while splitting.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the advice Desert Tortoise. You made some great points.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Yes lane splitting should be nation wide. I love lane splitting! The first time I saw someone doing this I thought they were nuts. But after one does it a time or two it's only natural.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
it works if everyone follows the rules.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page