Exhaust muffler pipe removla - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-06-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exhaust muffler pipe removla

I am trying to remove the slip on portion of the exhaust as if I am trying to exchange the slip on portion for a VNH. How do I remove the stock slip on exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdozaj View Post
I am trying to remove the slip on portion of the exhaust as if I am trying to exchange the slip on portion for a VNH. How do I remove the stock slip on exhaust?
There are two bolts that hold the muffler to the frame of the bike. Loosen up those guys and that will release the muffler from the bike. They can slide out of the rail that they sit in on the muffler.

Next is to loosen up the coupler that holds the slip on to the manifold. single bolt easy to get at.

Pulling the muffler off is a pain, at least mine was. Twisting, pulling, and some cursing and mine came off.

You'll also have to remove the stock heat shield that sits under the brake since the V&H comes with a new heat shield. Thats attached with one of those fancy pipe clamps. Again single bolt, loosen it up and it'll slide off.

All of this is included in the instructions that came with muffler.

http://vanceandhines.com/download/D905IN.pdf

Quote:
STOCK EXHAUST SYSTEM REMOVAL
1. Using a 13mm wrench/socket loosen the hardware that attaches the stock muffler to the stock mounting
bracket. (Figure 1)
2. Using a 14 mm socket loosen the Torca Clamp holding the muffler onto the catalytic converter.(Figure 2)
3. Using a 5/16 nutdriver or flat head screwdriver loosen all heat shield hose clamps.
4. Using a 1/4 drive ratchet with a 13mm socket loosen the front and rear header flanges.(Figure 2)
5. Loosen the front header ball socket. (Figure 2)
6. Remove the stock muffler by completely removing the hardware in step 1.
7. Remove the stock catalytic converter heatshield.
V

Last edited by Volaric; 04-07-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page