Has anyone lifted their fuel tank? - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Has anyone lifted their fuel tank?

I know I've seen photos and mention of facebook of lifted gas tanks (in the rear) and I'm thinking about trying it out myself. Anyone on the board done it and willing to lend some words of wisdom before I jump in head first when I only have a couple hour window to get something done?

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2015, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
ill do it tomorrow when I can get time.

I nearly lifted it up today when I installed my wiring for my 12v 5v usb dock on my handlebars but I was able to fish a wire under the tank to drag the wires back....sorry my bad...lol
post #3 of 8 Old 06-18-2015, 11:28 PM

sorry I didn't get time to lift the tank and take pictures, just had too much going on today, but I will make a concerned effort to get this done tomorrow .

post #4 of 8 Old 06-18-2015, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Tried it in the Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
I know I've seen photos and mention of facebook of lifted gas tanks (in the rear) and I'm thinking about trying it out myself. Anyone on the board done it and willing to lend some words of wisdom before I jump in head first when I only have a couple hour window to get something done?
We tried it when we were doing our buil but it did not seem safe.
I am sure someone will come up with a lift kit.We tried a Sportser tank also but could not secure it properly for everyday use (Looks cool if you do not plan on riding it)
Check out our Build on Facebook at Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Dealer Florida | Used Motorcycles Softail H-D Parts & Accessories Clothing Rentals Miami FL.
Any questions ask us.
Later
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock270 View Post
sorry I didn't get time to lift the tank and take pictures, just had too much going on today, but I will make a concerned effort to get this done tomorrow .
No worries. I have work tomorrow, then I have to look at a truck for a friend and Sunday I'll be going out to my grandmothers to check on her and help her out with anything she needs done at the house all before going back to work Monday. It'll be a while before I give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcmoto View Post
We tried it when we were doing our buil but it did not seem safe.
I am sure someone will come up with a lift kit.We tried a Sportser tank also but could not secure it properly for everyday use (Looks cool if you do not plan on riding it)
Check out our Build on Facebook at Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Dealer Florida | Used Motorcycles Softail H-D Parts & Accessories Clothing Rentals Miami FL.
Any questions ask us.
Later
I've checked out you facebook posts. I appreciate the input.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 AM

oh boy, my mind is getting old for sure.
sorry my bad....

I didn't get the meaning of the message of the thread correct.

you want to lift the rear of the tank permanently, not just see what is under the tank.

sometimes the obvious is not obvious to me.

ill search for info and try to help if I can.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
No worries. I have work tomorrow, then I have to look at a truck for a friend and Sunday I'll be going out to my grandmothers to check on her and help her out with anything she needs done at the house all before going back to work Monday. It'll be a while before I give it a go.

I've checked out you facebook posts. I appreciate the input.

you sound like a fine grandson. I like how you help your grandmother, it shows that you have a good heart.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm actually looking to both, see how the wiring is run underneath and raise the rear of the tank a little bit to give it a profile I like a little better than stock. I also want to remove the factory blinkers and when I started to do it when I changed out my handlebars I found the plug is either under the tank or further back in the loom. I prefer to cut no wiring on the bike.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page