16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-16-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1000 mile service price

I inquired about the cost of the 1000 mile service at our dealer.
they stated that "big v-twins 1000 mile service cost $379.

then she (asst service mgr?), goes on to say they change all fluids, motor, transmission, etc...I asked about all fluids?, then she stated, not the brake or anti freeze fluids, but that they also check it all over for loose bolts or anything that doesn't look right.

I was thinking but did not say, so why didn't they do that before they delivered it?...why did it only have 20 lbs of air in the tires, loose mirrors, half gallon of gas, loose seat bolt, loose front fender bolts and not washed? I paid $899 for assembly and $1000 extra for freight!...really, ? and now we gotta pay $379 for them to do what they should have done in the first place?...really?...

anyway, I then mentioned, "so on these models, then yall only change the motor oil, because there is no separate transmission". she looked confused then stated, well it's $379 and you must call for an apt if you want it done then walked off!.........ummm not!

this is exactly what I am talking about when I say, seems like Harley needs to educate their employees, around this dealer at least, as to the differences between these models and all other Harley models.

even the parts folks didn't even know the handlebar size was different. other than a part number they don't know what fits these models.

they don't know and apparently they don't care to know.

these pesky little bikes are taking up wasted space on our showroom, that's what I get from all of this! and you are bothering me with your questions, so move along, but leave your money with us!

it's all textbook propaganda, "things have always been and will always be the way it has been for nearly 100 yrs. ...ummm not!

I disagree! like it or not Harley has introduced these models and we deserve knowledgeable service and at fair prices, not to all be thrown into the same wash as the big v-twins.

service on a street model should not be the same price as a full dresser model.

seems to me to be fair to the street owners, Harley needs to update their service employee's knowledge and the adjust the cost for little v-twins service!
Zowie Mcgrath likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
When I initially bought mine and was assigned to a specific tech., presumably for future contact. I asked him a couple of break-in questions and he told me to just use the tachometer per the Manual. I said; what tachometer? He said something about a button to press and the speedometer should become a tach....................?????????? Hey I can't make $#!t like that up!
Zowie Mcgrath, Rock270 and alext like this.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-16-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
holy crap!...really?...now that's classic!

post #4 of 24 Old 08-16-2015, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sounds like the only decision I have is regular or synthetic 20w50...lol. What will you guys be running ?
post #5 of 24 Old 08-16-2015, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
That's your dealer, not Harley. You need to find a better dealer, even if it's a trek. I go about 40 miles because they're the best reputation service wise and I've not been let down. I've got three closer dealers that I've been to and each give me the "gold chainer" vibe so I don't ever go there again. BTW my service is $169.xx out the door. Still high, but I want that solid customer dealer relationship and zero headaches on any warranty issues.
StoneFree, Rock270 and alext like this.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-16-2015, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBERG View Post
When I initially bought mine and was assigned to a specific tech., presumably for future contact. I asked him a couple of break-in questions and he told me to just use the tachometer per the Manual. I said; what tachometer? He said something about a button to press and the speedometer should become a tach....................?????????? Hey I can't make $#!t like that up!
Because every other bike they make does it. They won't know everything about the bike off the bat unless they have been required to learn it by the dealer.

The text above is my opinion. Feel free to ignore it. I do.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-16-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesskelter View Post
That's your dealer, not Harley. You need to find a better dealer, even if it's a trek. I go about 40 miles because they're the best reputation service wise and I've not been let down. I've got three closer dealers that I've been to and each give me the "gold chainer" vibe so I don't ever go there again. BTW my service is $169.xx out the door. Still high, but I want that solid customer dealer relationship and zero headaches on any warranty issues.

I agree, but no other dealer with in a reasonable distance. the two closest ones are owned by the same guy. wow, great price for your service, I'd go for that if it was at that cost around here.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-16-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNDYJ View Post
Sounds like the only decision I have is regular or synthetic 20w50...lol. What will you guys be running ?
I have always run synthetic oil ever since it came to the market years ago. and even tried different brands. however amsoil is one of my favorites, but it can be hard to get in our area.

once I did switch to full synthetic the engines seemed to run quite'r and smoother, plus the shifting seemed smoother too.
SWDan likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-17-2015, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 1k service runs $200 with conventional fluids at ours, Synthetic will run you a bit more. Also the 1k service changes all the oils, checks the anti freeze level, belt adjustment, axle alignments.cable adjustments, switch functions, lights, exhaust and all fasteners checked. Prices should fall inline with sportster services except for the 15k, you need to check the valve lash at that time. If you look in the back of your owners manual it will list what is to be done at each service interval. Personally I switched to synthetic in my own.
Rock270 and vismajor like this.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-17-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
$200 sounds fairly reasonable IMO.

I plan to speak to the new GM at our dealer and see if they would consider offering the street models 1000 mile service for that price instead of paying nearly double that for the big v-twin service.

maybe the other dealers mentioned in this post that charge $200 or less has updated their service price because these are smaller bikes and it doesn't take as much time, material or effort to accomplish this service.

thanks for the input here, folks!
SWDan likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page