LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 Old 01-03-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Might be trading

Hi all. I went to a HD Dealer yesterday. Saw a Red 2017 1200 Custom. New. Also saw a 17, 1200T in Black. With just over 3k miles. Screaming Eagle intake, Python Mufflers, Tank bib. . 1200T comes with the windshield, Saddle bags and relocation kit for turn signals stock. 2 up seat with small floor boards for driver. I was told the new one is $11,800. The used one is $11,500.

Since the weather here in NJ has been Lousy lately. Didn't get a chance to ride them. Haven't run any numbers yet.

2016 Hyundai Tucson SE Coliseum Grey AWD

2018 Custom 1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 01-04-2018, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
When you get to ride the 1200 Custom I would look forward to your views. Towards mid-year I will be in the market again and the 1200 Custom is on top of my pile.

2015 Street 750 Vivid Black
post #3 of 81 Old 01-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Location: Southwest Iowa with more than a little time spent in Ames
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
After nearly a full season riding the xg750 I was chomping at the bit to move up to a bigger bike before reality set in. I'm going to be on the xg750 for at least one, if not two more seasons.

In late 2017 I was able to test ride a used 1200 Custom with added bags and a windshield and really liked it. The 1200 definitely had the feel of moving to a bigger bike that I just wasn't getting from the naked 883 or Forty-Eight that I sat on, even though the Forty-Eight is the same displacement and has a higher power to weight ratio.

The 1200 Custom was definitely going to be more comfortable than the xg750 when making the 200 mile trip out to the farm. The forward controls were not too far a reach with my 29" inseam. The ride was comfortable, although the vibration at low speeds took some getting used to. The bike seemed plenty easy to maneuver in light traffic on rural highways and in the small town streets. It wasn't as flickable as the xg, which is due as much to riding position as it is with weight. It's not anything I would have qualms about for most of my riding, but might be harder to get around in a parking lot.

Paul
Central and SW Iowa
2016 xg750

post #4 of 81 Old 01-04-2018, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I don't know if you'll like the style, as it seems very polarizing, but the 2018 Fat Bob is the best-handling, best-performing, and (IMO) best-looking bike Harley has ever made. It's more expensive, but you'd be getting the 107ci Milwaukee 8 engine in it -- that's 1,750 cc full of torque. It's a much bigger bike (675 pounds) that doesn't really feel any bigger -- I swear it feels nearly as nimble and tossable as my Street 750 did.

Another in the Softail line that's really interesting is the Street Bob. It's the lowest-cost Softail, but it's really nice, if you like apehangers it might be the one.

The thing about the Softails is that they are all redesigned for 2018, they're extremely good performers, and they have really low seat heights. Most of 'em are 25.5"; the Fat Bob is the highest seat at 27.7" and even then I can flat-foot it almost as well as I could the Street.

But, they're (obviously) all more expensive than anything in the Sportster line. I just had a hard time considering a Sportster-anything when moving from the Street, as the Street outperforms just about anything in the Sportster lineup. I didn't want to go to a slower bike just to be able to say it was bigger. The Softails are a major upgrade in every way over the Street (with the exception of being air/oil cooled, whereas the Street has a genuine coolant-filled radiator).
post #5 of 81 Old 01-04-2018, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
after riding 2 1/2 years and $1500 in engine and bolt-on upgrades I have tried to trade xg 750 back to HD. The most they would give me was $2300 trade-in allowance against $20,000+ HD. I've tried to sell it outright but best offer was $3100.
This was one of the fuel pump recall bikes and that sticks with the history of the bike. Should have taken the cash back then when I had a chance.

If you can get you investment back by trading I would go for it. Good luck.
post #6 of 81 Old 01-04-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I tried a Fat Bob 114. Nice bike. But I have a short inseam. And its way out of my price range.

Haven't tried a Lowrider yet. That Might double my payments.

The 1200T has Mid Controls. Which put my knees up at the gas tank. Like the Street does. Didn't care much for the Mini Floorboards. 4.5G gas tank.

The 1200 Custom, Forward controls are within my reach. But its a Naked bike. No windshield or bags. And I need to get the Relocation kit. I do like the color!!

I am considering a Sportster. Reason being, They been selling for Decades. What I am saying is, They're Proven.

2018 Custom 1200
post #7 of 81 Old 01-08-2018, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I too am looking at 2018 models even though I don't plan on getting one for another year or two after my truck is paid off. I'm really looking and considering the 2018 Sport Glide or any year FXDLS Low Rider S.Even if when I get a new ride I still plan on keeping my XG750.

2015 Street 750 Modifications-Krator Black Mirror Relocation Arms, Wisamic-5-3/4" 5.75" Round LED Headlight, Harley-Davidson Black Billet Aluminum Seat Bolt, H-D Screaming Eagle Spark Plugs, 10mm Screaming Eagle Plug Wires and Firebrand Loose Cannon Slip-on Exhaust
post #8 of 81 Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
The buzz is that Harley might be revamping the Sportster line this year. They overhauled the touring line for 2017, and completely revamped and merged the Softail and Dynas for 2018. The speculation is that the Sportsters are next. They've already trademarked three new names (Bronx, 48X, and Pan American).

So if you're not in a hurry, you might want to wait until August or so when the new models are announced. There could be something you really want. Or, if they're too new for your taste, you might be able to score a killer deal on a 2017. I know that Harley dealers offered some pretty good deals on last-years's bikes after the 2018's hit; one was offering a free Street 500 with each touring bike sold, and many are offering a free extended warranty with all 2017's. So if there's a big change in the 2019 Sportsters, there might be some good incentives to clear out the existing 2018's.

Last edited by Gaijin; 01-08-2018 at 03:36 PM.
post #9 of 81 Old 01-08-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Biggest problem now is, The Weather. I can't try either model.

The Sportster has been around for awhile. So I would expect the "Kinks" have been taken care of. What surprises me is, The Engine hasn't really changed much. With all the new Emissions requirements. The 1200T felt like I was sitting on my 750. Seating position.

The Low Rider, Tried a Slim 107. Liked the engine and trans. Hated the floor boards and forward controls.

Today I spoke to the salesman who sold me the 750. He thinks I should wait and look into a Low Rider.

2018 Custom 1200
post #10 of 81 Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
The buzz is that Harley might be revamping the Sportster line this year..................................The speculation is that the Sportsters are next. They've already trademarked three new names (Bronx, 48X, and Pan American).

That's an interesting piece of info Gaijin, as Max says in the above post, how they've managed to get the Evo motor to pass the latest emissions laws, is a wonder.

My 2003 Sportster ran as weak as a kitten with a CV carb, I suppose with EFI they must just about scrape through, though I don't have as many mixture related issues with my 2017 48, as I did with my XL883R.

I hope you're right with the updating, it will be interesting to see which direction HD take the Sporty. Liquid cooling? Oil cooled top end? A modified Revolution X motor?

About time whatever they decide, so long as they don't ditch it!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page