Love to take the Vrod Cruising!!! - Harley Davidson Street Forum - Street 500 and 750
User Tag List

6Likes
  • 4 Post By bbally
  • 2 Post By Desert Tortoise

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Love to take the Vrod Cruising!!!

Love to take the Vrod cruising.....

Durango Colorado

Yellowstone

Tetons

Thanks for looking....

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
1st Mar Div, 1st FSSG Det A in the Stumps
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

Last edited by bbally; 04-14-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like fun. Some nice scenery in the pics too.
I used to live in Buena Vista, CO for about a year when I was young. As I recall we went through Durango on the way to Mesa Verde NP.

By the way, what do you get for fuel mileage with your VRod?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Looks like fun. Some nice scenery in the pics too.
I used to live in Buena Vista, CO for about a year when I was young. As I recall we went through Durango on the way to Mesa Verde NP.

By the way, what do you get for fuel mileage with your VRod?

46 MPH. Unless I drive it like an asss then about 37.

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK

post #4 of 9 Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
I have never managed better than 37 mpg on my Street Rod in stock form with the most restrained riding. I have seen it as low as 22 mpg when it had SE Pro Stage II cams, 58 mm throttle bodies and was "topless" (removed the upper half of the airbox with the intake snorkel), all since returned to stock. 25-27 mpg was the norm in that state of tune.

It seems like any time you put a V-Rod on the dyno and tune that 3500 rpm flat spot out of it the mileage goes south.

I am always envious of V-Rod riders who can coax 40 mpg or more out of a V-Rod.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2014, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post
I have never managed better than 37 mpg on my Street Rod in stock form with the most restrained riding. I have seen it as low as 22 mpg when it had SE Pro Stage II cams, 58 mm throttle bodies and was "topless" (removed the upper half of the airbox with the intake snorkel), all since returned to stock. 25-27 mpg was the norm in that state of tune.

It seems like any time you put a V-Rod on the dyno and tune that 3500 rpm flat spot out of it the mileage goes south.

Try twisting the right hand a little less... Mileage is one of my favorite things about my XL1200. 50 mpg highway with the bags and sport shield on, mid 40s around town. The other two bike options I was looking at when in the market to buy was a Vrod and a Victory Vegas. Neither have reputations of great mileage. I am anxious to hear what Street 750 owners get for mileage.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-19-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

I am running rhinehart 2 into 2. K and N and my tune does not mess with the trip the motor makes at 3800.

I am limit the redline to 9400.

I just learned to shift so it is always rapping 4K or better. Hurts a little in the 1/8 but it makes up for it quickly shortly after.

I have never had it above 135 mph. But at that speed it was still solid. Though I lost my leather skull cap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #7 of 9 Old 04-20-2014, 01:56 AM

Hmm, you have a hotter state of tune than I do. I know to spin the engine above four grand. But even if I sit for an hour and a half at a steady 65-70mph on the highway exercising every bit of adult restraint I have the best I manage is high 30's.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-20-2014, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Hmm, you have a hotter state of tune than I do. I know to spin the engine above four grand. But even if I sit for an hour and a half at a steady 65-70mph on the highway exercising every bit of adult restraint I have the best I manage is high 30's.

I know the street rod is different than the vrsca. But I don't know what is different? Do you know your drive ratios on the pulleys?

USMC '79-'85 Sgt.
PGR Rider

2016 FLTRXS
2015 XG 750
2003 VRSCA

1982 GS1100GK
post #9 of 9 Old 05-23-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbally View Post
I know the street rod is different than the vrsca. But I don't know what is different? Do you know your drive ratios on the pulleys?

2003 and 2004 V-Rods came with 72 tooth rear pulleys and 30 tooth front pulleys. From 2005 onward, US and Canadian market bikes including the Street Rod came with 28 T front pulleys while the rest of the world continued, and continues, to get bikes with a 30 T front pulley.

Street Rods have a unique frame that has a taller seat (if you look at the triangulated section of the frame behind the engine you can see the difference between the Street Rod frame and that of other V-Rods). The R was the first V-Rod to come with a 5 gallon fuel tank. It sits taller because it has longer rear shocks, more suspension travel and has less rake. The R has a different exhaust that was shared with the D (Night Rod) so both bikes could use mid set rider pegs. The A/B/SE/X/AW exhaust interferes with mid mounted rider pegs. The R, because it sits higher, has a unique side stand. The R and the D received unique to them ten spoke cast wheels that use a 180 rear tire. Because they use a 180 rear tire they came with the wider 1 3/8 inch drive belt. Bikes with 240 rear tires (2007 and later) have narrower 1 inch belts. The 2006 VRSCE had an even narrower 7/8 inch wide belt because Harley stuffed a 240 rear tire into the original frame with a narrow rear section and swingarm intended for a 180 rear tire. Something had to give, and a super narrow belt was it. Since they are now carbon fiber instead of Kevlar, strength is not a problem.

On my R with XR-1200 wheels, fitting a pulley to the rear, getting the gearing sorted out with a smaller diameter rear wheel, finding a pulley that fit that rear wheel and then finding a belt that would work was quite an engineering project. I ended up with a Japan market rubber isolated 68 T rear pulley (used on Japanese market Sportsters and, I later found out, sold as a replacement for the solid mounted rear pulleys on 2007 and 2008 baggers to cure a vibe in the early 6-speed Cruise Drive drive-line), a 30 T front pulley and since I now needed a belt with 147 or 148 teeth I ended up having to use a 147 T belt from Victory and have it cut down from 28 mm to 1 inch to fit the rear pulley I was using. Of course we needed to space the rear rotor and pulley out from the Sportster wheel to get everything to line up, and Drag Specialties had the right thickness spacer discs (whew!). We made custom axle spacers out of lengths of fork tube from a mini-motocrosser! Amazingly this Frankenstein monster has proved to be completely trouble free in use. With a 17 inch rear wheel, 68 T rear pulley and 30 T front pulley, the overall gearing is very slightly taller than a stock V-Rod with a 30 T front pulley. There is maybe a 3 mph increase in top speed at red line, like I can use that very often. It is a comfortable bike for chasing horizons.
HarleyVest and bbally like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page