LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Rode a VRSCR today

It is all Desert Tortoise's fault... After reading his posts about the Street Rod, I happened across one for sale locally, so thought I would check it out. It was at a camper/atv dealer, so I called and found out it only had 4200 miles. Asking price of $6495, so I looked up NADA book value which is $8900, and thought it would be the deal of the decade.
So I hop onto my Sporty and ride the 40 miles to the dealer. Then they expect me to buy it without riding it. Um, I don't think so. So a phone call by the sales guy, and he gets a dealer plate. I am pretty excited, thinking that I was going to own a Street Rod shortly.
I sit on it... sits quite high compared to what I am used to, but that is ok. I take off and find the footpegs (so-called mid controls, but I beg to differ, closer to rear controls as far as I am concerned)... and made up my mind before I made it out of the parking lot that this bike is not for me. I don't like riding while leaned forward and my feet shoved up my anal appendage. I don't ride sport bikes for a reason, and this is it. I literally was experiencing hip cramps before making it 200 feet across the parking lot. The bike ran good, braked good, and was pretty smooth across some rail road tracks, but no way could I ride in that position any length of time.
I had intended on offering $6k for the bike, but after riding it, decided to walk away. They were basically begging me to buy it at $6k, I didn't have to make an offer. I really wish the riding position would have been more to my liking, because I love the sound and the looks of the Street Rod, and it would have been a more than fair deal.

Just goes to show, we all have differences of opinion. What works for one, doesn't work for all. Now if only I can find a reasonably priced VRod with forward controls, I think that would be more to my liking.
Sherri likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Just goes to show, we all have differences of opinion. What works for one, doesn't work for all. Now if only I can find a reasonably priced VRod with forward controls, I think that would be more to my liking.

Usually doesn't take much to add forward controls. A number of after-market companies sell them for the V-Rod. Just sayin'
post #3 of 67 Old 05-24-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
What state is this bike in, heh, heh, heh. Maybe another orphan ......

Let me show everyone something. The position of the rider pegs on a Street Rod is in the standard position, what people rode before this cruiser craze got out of control. The rider pegs are directly below the front edge of the seat, right at the seat/tank (or in the case of a V-Rod it's not the fuel tank but the cover over the air box and fuses).

Now, no one would ever accuse an old BMW K75 of being a "sport bike", but look at the location of the rider pegs. They are in exactly the same position relative to the seat, and the riders butt, as they are on the Street Rod

Same thing for the old K100.

And, oh look, the foot pegs on this big trailie are in the same spot relative to the seat/tank junction and thus the rider's butt as those on the Street Rod.

No one would ever claim this big touring sled is a "sport bike" but look at the peg location relative to the seat.

Stude's comments reflect the biases of some American riders, but the Street Rod is very far from the riding position of a sport bike.
Sherri likes this.

I live in a parallel universe but have a vacation home in reality.

post #4 of 67 Old 05-24-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I think that's because of Americans prefer cruisers that generally have forward controls.

But for a change first person to find fault with Desert Tortoise recommendation.
post #5 of 67 Old 05-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Now lets look at the peg location on some true sport bikes. Also notice that on most sport bikes the hand grips are at or below the level of the top triple clamp, while those on the Street Rod and other standard/touring bikes I showed above are much higher.

The footpegs are behind the seat/tank or seat/airbox cover junction, and much higher too. Lets look at some more.

Again the pegs are high and further back from the seat/tank junction than you saw on the standards, and the hand grips are low, below the top triple clamp. The photos don't give a feel for the relative size of these bikes, but the Street Rod is longer than any of the BMWs I showed, longer than the FJR, longer even than a big Harley bagger. It's an eight foot long bike with a 68 inch wheel base.

On this Beemer the rider pegs are located back towards the middle of the riders seat

What I will say is that adding a bit of foam to the stock seat to raise it up and widen it a touch, for me at least, worked wonders for comfort. I basically had the butt pocket filled in to make a mostly flat seat, like bikes used to come with all the time (remember old Triumphs and Suzuki GS-1000s?). With a little more padding all the leg cramps went away.

post #6 of 67 Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Speaking of GS-1000s, look where the rider pegs are located. Same place relative to the seat as those on the Street Rod.

Street Rod again:

Here is what the riding position looks like

It's a standard riding position. Not racy at all. With the windshield I can click off 600-700 mile days with no difficulty and with a reupholstered seat the bike is every bit as comfortable as my Beemers or the big FJR.

post #7 of 67 Old 05-24-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
Usually doesn't take much to add forward controls. A number of after-market companies sell them for the V-Rod. Just sayin'

It's not too easy to do on a Street Rod. You have to change the detachable frame down tubes, and that forces you do make a custom side stand because the side stand on the forward control bikes is much shorter. Those bikes sit lower to the pavement. If you use the other side stand the bike sits way over on it's side, uncomfortably so. You also will have some fun replumbing the brakes, and you need different radiator shrouds with cut outs for the forward controls.

Some R riders go through some of these gyrations to put some flip out forward pegs on their Rs, like the original Night Rod had.
Sherri likes this.

post #8 of 67 Old 05-24-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, I can tell you I don't like the "standard" riding position.
I spent some time researching the forward control thing last night, and came up with exactly what you are saying. Not worth messing with.
I also looked at several pictures of the Street Rod with riders and it certainly doesn't look as extreme as it felt. When I hear "mid controls" I think of sitting virtually upright, thighs relatively horizontal, with your calves near vertical down to the pegs, like a Sportster for example. It felt like I had to lift my heels to my butt cheeks to get my feet on the pegs of the SR. And like I said, my hip started to cramp almost immediately. Felt like I was leaning forward much more than the pictures show on the 'net, too. Probably from being used to my Sporty with forwards... although a Sporty with forwards don't put my feet that far forward.
I can see where adding to the seat padding might make a big difference on the Street Rod, but I am not sure it would be enough to uncramp me. Maybe my legs are just too long. Speaking of the seat, it felt like it was carved out of wood, but then again I think most OEM HD seats are the same way.
I have to say, I am very disappointed. I planned on writing a check and bringing it home yesterday. I have been thinking about it all day today. Maybe I should have done some yoga stretches, and then rode it longer. Perhaps I would have gotten used to it.
By the way D.T., it is in Potsdam NY. I have contact info if you want.
Sherri likes this.
post #9 of 67 Old 05-25-2014, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Tortoise View Post
It's not too easy to do on a Street Rod. You have to change the detachable frame down tubes, and that forces you do make a custom side stand because the side stand on the forward control bikes is much shorter. Those bikes sit lower to the pavement. If you use the other side stand the bike sits way over on it's side, uncomfortably so. You also will have some fun replumbing the brakes, and you need different radiator shrouds with cut outs for the forward controls.

Some R riders go through some of these gyrations to put some flip out forward pegs on their Rs, like the original Night Rod had.
I had no idea. Much more complicated than the forward controls we put on my old sportster, that was just a bolt-on operation.
post #10 of 67 Old 05-26-2014, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
everyone has preferences for ergonomics

thats why we have so many choices!
Sherri likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page